writing speeds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by katgem, Aug 10, 2005.

1. katgem

katgem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i'm sure this has been asked before, but i tried doing a search, but didn't know how to phrase it, as it was quite specific. i'm still a newbie to recording media, so forgive me if this is a very obvious point, but i just needed to make sure - i have a panasonic DMR-E55EB/EBL recorder and it has a 1-4x speed function. up till now, i have been using 1-4x speed discs but i've just bought some maxell dvd-r's off play.com, 4.7GB, 120 min etc, which all matches up with my panasonic's requirements, except that they are 1-8x speed. will this knacker up my recorder, or will it be fine? (there's a warning on the side of the disc spindle saying 'Your drive or recorder may be at risk of damage if you use this disc in certain DVD-R/RW drives/recorders that do not conform to using high speed discs'; so i got a bit edgy!) :lease:

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I use Datawrite Yellow 8x DVD-R in my Panasonic E85 with no problems. It's an earlier model than the one you have.

3. katgem

katgem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, the actual dvd works in the recorder and i've tried recording an hour - works fine. i'm just worried if it'll do any long-term damage. the panasonic model is very good, it's just that you can't choose writing speeds

4. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - your recorder will not get damaged if you use the 1-8x DVD-R's
    Everything should be fine, they will adjust to whatever speed the writer
    can write to.

5. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've had problems with x8 discs if high speed dubbing isn't enabled. If it is, shouldn't be a problem. If it isn't, some discs can send the Panny into an elongated self check. I don't think any disc will harm the recorder though, will it?

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297