Writing a petition for plasma panel production

clokwork

Standard Member
Reaction score
This may seem futile, but I have to try. Please humor me as it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm hoping to have other sets of eyes look at this petition before I post it for inaccuracies, important details I missed, and just overall ease of reading. Again, I know the slim/null chance of this getting traction, but even if Panasonic or Samsung had zero interest, there could be others with the capital to obtain the patents necessary and build panels again.

Plasma televisions have arguably the best attributes of any television. Eye strain and focus issues are also a very real issue that affect many with regards to LED based panels. While the cost per panel of plasma TVs were not cheap, today's demand would remove that as a factor. We want the option of not relying solely on LED based technology when selecting a television to be with us for years to come.

Plasma panels have a very long lifespan. The colors last for a long period of time. A plasma tv displays motion very fluently and naturally. The brightness and contrast of the panels are much easier on the eyes. Many plasma tv owners will not part with their televisions even though they were limited to 1080p as compared to today's 4k market.

Help create the chance that Panasonic or Samsung can see the demand for plasma panels. They hold patents that could allow for the manufacturing of new panels. Cost really is not the main concern. We just want Plasma panels to be available again. Wether sold from direct sales to crowd funding, please allow us to vote with our wallets. You won't be disappointed.

I'm sorry, and you can start whatever petitions you want, but that is just utterly pointless.
That’s fair. Who’s to say Special interests group that could profit from a high dollar panel doesn’t consider It? Improbable, yes. Impossible, no.

It wasn't only the consumer who preferred cheaper and lighter over quality, It wasn't even only the difficulty of producing UHD screens in the ca 55" size.

Plasma has been killed by international legislation. Even with Brexit, UK is not going to repeal the EU legislation they so heavily pushed for, banning power hungry TVs (i.e. plasma TVs) in the domestic market "to save the planet". The UK will likely adopt the more stringent laws coming into force in 2021. The US introduced similar legislation, so there is no (legal) market for plasma TVs.

Soi t's not merely improbable, it's illegal and hence impossible. Sorry - I liked the picture quality too.

That’s fair. Who’s to say Special interests group that could profit from a high dollar panel doesn’t consider It? Improbable, yes. Impossible, no.

Not commercially viable due to production costs against other panels and I'd probably guess that plasma production facilities don't exist anymore or have been repurposed.

In your post, you say that cost is not really the main concern.

OK - so how much would you be willing to pay for such a niche and low-production item? £15,000 for a 42” 1080p SDR-only display? Maybe £20,000?

Not commercially viable due to production costs against other panels and I'd probably guess that plasma production facilities don't exist anymore or have been repurposed.
The Samsung PDP line was apparently repurposed to make batteries.

Absolute best you can hope for, if you’re very lucky, is a plasma revival trend 30-40 years from now. Like there has been for vinyl and record players recently.

At present there’s as much chance of it happening as Bosch making mangles again. So speaks a Kuro owner.

Absolute best you can hope for, if you’re very lucky, is a plasma revival trend 30-40 years from now. Like there has been for vinyl and record players recently.

At present there’s as much chance of it happening as Bosch making mangles again. So speaks a Kuro owner.

Except that not even Kuros will still be working in 40 years time, unlike turntables and vinyl!

But there is no way the green lobby would ever allow a 500w TV again. Dead in the water.

This may seem futile, but I have to try. Please humor me as it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm hoping to have other sets of eyes look at this petition before I post it for inaccuracies, important details I missed, and just overall ease of reading. Again, I know the slim/null chance of this getting traction, but even if Panasonic or Samsung had zero interest, there could be others with the capital to obtain the patents necessary and build panels again.

You seem to have ignored the availability of OLEDs. If we did only have the option of LCDs then I would agree with you.

In your post, you say that cost is not really the main concern.

OK - so how much would you be willing to pay for such a niche and low-production item? £15,000 for a 42” 1080p SDR-only display? Maybe £20,000?
Now we’re talking!: I’d seriously consider letting my PDP-508XD go to a good home for something in that ballpark ! :smashin:

This is dead in the water. I get it. But yes, I would pay 20k for an awesome plasma.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom