Writing a PAL disc from NTSC external imput

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dave Cullen, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somenbody tell me whether or not it is possible to 'feed' a DVD recorder (or PC based recorder software) with NTSC material, and then write a DVD that can be read by a PAL based DVD player? I have just been given a NTSC Mini-DV camera and I'd like to burn my films onto DVD for playback in this country.

If it is possible, any recommended devices and/or software?

Here's hoping that somebody can bring a smile to my family as it is a little wearing on the eyes watching a 2.5" LCD screen!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Just a basic point - most UK players can handle NTSC disks. Thus if your source is true NTSC and you record to DVD-R in that then it will be viewable on most DVD players. Certainly the major DVD recorders (such as those from Panasonic, Pioneer and Philips) can record in PAL and NTSC.

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having an NTSC DV machine is going to be useful ! Some folks encounter the need to read such tapes.

As rasczak said - I'd keep 'em in NTSC format as most DVD players in Europe can play NTSC material.

4. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it sounds as though I have nothing to worry about, I just get the right wire, feed a recorder, write the disc, and then play it back onto my TV (which ISN'T NTSC capable) through my old DVD player. It all sounds a bit too easy!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a try.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Your DVD player shouldn't present a problem - it will probably be NTSC compatible. The way you are connected to your TV might be. I suggest you get yourself a cheap US Region 0 disk and try that as this will enable you to quickly bowl out whether you can view the material correctly. If your TV only supports video in for example you will only be able to watch in B&W.

6. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczac, I already have a multi-region DVD player and that works with the TV fine on Region 1, NTSC disks.

One final question though, when I connect up the DV camera through the 'front' S-video or composite ports, I only get black & white pictures. Do you think that this is because the 'front' ports are configured differently, or there is a NTSC to PAL conversion going on inside the DVD player? The TV is about 6 years old now, and the normal DVD connection is through RGB SCART.

Dave

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    You can 'see' a colour picture when watching NTSC disks on your non-NTSC TV as you are connected using an RGB connection - which works somewhat differently to a S-Video/Composite connection. If you were feeding your TV a S-Video or Composite signal then you would need an NTSC compatible TV - otherwise you get B&W pictures.

8. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks again.