1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write Speed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nunew33, Oct 7, 2004.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    What difference does it make?

On a PC if I write at 1x speed is this better than 4x speed?

I did some 4 speeds last night that I recorded on tosh took to PC burned to DVD. Sony wouldnt look at it and Tosh only played part of it.

had i burnt it at a lower speed would it have made any difference (printable Ritek A grade 04)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No not really. I have encountered some instances where burning media fast has resulted in 'less compatible' disks but this can generally be put down to other factors. I would suggest not burning media at speeds faster than it is designed for though, i.e. burn 4x media at that speed and not 8x etc, as this can cause issues. However in your case it could just be a simple media compatibility issue.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm, burned another 1 last night at 1 speed using datawrite greys 8x and the sony still wouldnt look at it, but the tosh played it no problem. From the same sourcefile on PC. Media or speed? Ill test again tonight

4. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    My experience (and I've been burning DVD-R's since they were 1x..) suggests that burning at the slowest speed always improves reliability, especially on el-chepo disks.

Also remember that the media may have nothing to do with not reading the disk - A fact that many people seem to overlook - perhaps it's a corrupt or badly formed IFO file - another reason for a player (especially a Sony...) to reject a disk ...

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yep burned 1 at 4 soeed then 1 at 1 speed on orange bulkpaq.

1 speed works 4 speed works most of the way through. looks like speed makes a difference

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    On low quality media such as bulkpaq such tests would not be conclusive.

Use better quality like TY or MC Verbs and speed will not be a factor.

I use datawrite greys and they use a Fuji dye, which is very good. I have not had any problems with them and the Tosh. They will not play on a Sony, but that is not down to the disc, that is down to the Tosh's method of writing.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought some datawrite greys with my last disc order as a result of one of your earlier threads so I ll reserve my remaining bulkpaqs for dvd-roms and start on the the datawrites for video.

8. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried a slower burn (Ritek A G04) when I started having problems but it didn't make a difference. Burnt the same thing on a Ritec -RW and it works fine.

I stopped burning bulkpaq at their correct speed as most of the time they never play all the way through. So far have always worked at X2 burn.

Does you machine take nearly a minute to load a Bulkpaq orange disc as mine has taken exception to Ritek A -R's and takes ages to load them, even longer than the bulkpaq???

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No never had a problem with loading discs. saying that I tend to use ritek printables for my own use and use the bulkpaqs for friends. Riteks have never given me a problem (and i hope it stays that way I bought 75 of them)and the datawrite greys are problem free too.