Wrath of the Titans (HMV Exclusive) (3D Blu-ray Steelbook)

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Wrath Of The Titans: Hmv Exclusive: Steelbook: Ultraviolet: 3d

Release date: 22/10/2012

341894d1349172450-wrath-titans-3d-exclusive-hmv-steelbook-wrathtitanexc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrath Of The Titans for £ 19 ? No wonder the Titans are so bloody angry then , almost £ 20 for that rubbish is too much HMV.

Hi tobybunny,

Coximus Prime is right. 3D Blu-Ray discs rarely go below £20 in the UK, simply because they cost that much more to produce, and sell so few. (We're talking a matter of a few hundred of a title released in 3D will get sold, across the UK!)

The simple fact, is that 3D Blu-Ray's don't sell, as very few people have the equipment to play them, and most don't feel that the majority of 3D films are worth the extra money.

In fact, most moviegoers don't think that the majority of 3D films are worth the extra £1-£2 you pay at the cinema, either.

I'd hazard a guess, that most people would prefer a decent 2D version of the film, with some good extras, in a Steelbook, rather than a 3D disc.

Pooch

Hey Pooch :)
Which begs the question - why are they releasing a steelbook version in 3D only ( not that their holding page gives any info of what will be included)
I have no idea on 3D steelbook numbers but I reckon they sold thousands of The Immortals in 3D and it included the 2D version as well on a separate blu-ray disc and retailed at £ 17.99 !

It will be the same as the Immortal's release. 3D, Bluray & Digital.

It will be the same as the Immortal's release. 3D, Bluray & Digital.

That's what I thought when I pre-ordered it as I have no interest in 3D at all even if I could see it properly (which I can't anyway).

I think the 3D fad is starting to blow over personally and it won't be long before we're back to good old 2D until the next 3D boom in 20 years time (maybe the technology will actually have improved by then and not require those hideous, uncomfortable glasses?). That's likely why some studios have dropped 2D-only releases in favour of 3D/2D combo packs; they're probably trying to motivate interest in the format in the same way as those DVD/BD combo packs did.

I have no interest in 3D, I purposefully have not upgraded my current 1080p set as I refuse to buy a 3D enabled set until mine breaks!

Did not enjoy this sequel (loved the original) so it's a no from me.

Hi Tobybunny (and everyone else),

Which begs the question - why are they releasing a steelbook version in 3D only ( not that their holding page gives any info of what will be included) I have no idea on 3D steelbook numbers but I reckon they sold thousands of The Immortals in 3D and it included the 2D version as well on a separate blu-ray disc and retailed at £ 17.99 !

They are probably releasing the 3D version in a Steelbook, purely to give it an air of collectability or simply to try and shift more units. (Probably the latter!)

When a Blu-Ray set includes a 2D version alongside a 3D version, in the same set, then it will sell. It's 3D-only discs/sets that sell very few, where there is no 2D disc/option included.

That's why THE IMMORTALS sold reasonably well - not because of the 3D film being included, but because the 3D version came with the standard, 2D version, so was in essence, just a bonus extra disc for the lucky few who will be able to play the film in 3D. It's no different to those of us who - when we buy a Blu-Ray of a film, find that it comes with a DVD edition, even if we don't want that DVD.

3D Blu-Rays sell far less than 2D Blu-Rays - at a rough ratio of 1:8 (one 3D Blu-Ray disc for every 8 regular or 2D Blu-Ray discs)

Blu-Rays sell far less than DVD's - at a ratio of 1:5 (one BR for every five DVD's)

DVD's still sell in their thousands, each week.

(Source: British Videogram Association)

Pooch

only £18.00 now - i say only lol.

this better have 3d and 2d in it - i dont want to buy a steelbook i can never use. that would be the be the death of the steel for me.

Hopefully 3d and 2d on separate discs?

I watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance on BD over the weekend and it was a single BD which contained both the 2D and 3D versions. The picture in 2D was superb and the disc also contained a 90 minute Making of feature and other extras so I'm not bothered if Wrath of the Titans is the same if it means having one less useless disc.

Single BD featuring both 3D and 2D version if typical of Sony and some UK based Studios.

I watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance on BD over the weekend and it was a single BD which contained both the 2D and 3D versions. The picture in 2D was superb and the disc also contained a 90 minute Making of feature and other extras so I'm not bothered if Wrath of the Titans is the same if it means having one less useless disc.

slightly off topic but was it better than the 1st film?

May pre-order this but would prefer a 3 disc set if possible. Should have had more titans in it though :(

Clash Of The Titans scored 5.8 at imdb from 116,000 users.
Wrath Of The Titans scored 5.9 from 43,000 users.

Of course opinion is subjective and personal but most people slightly preferred the second film but thought that both were absolute crap :rotfl:

tobybunny said:
Clash Of The Titans scored 5.8 at imdb from 116,000 users.
Wrath Of The Titans scored 5.9 from 43,000 users.

Of course opinion is subjective and personal but most people slightly preferred the second film but thought that both were absolute crap :rotfl:

He was talking about the Ghost Rider films.

slightly off topic but was it better than the 1st film?

I thought they were about the same quality-wise, although the sequel has a 25% shorter running time and felt pacier due to the fact that there is no origin backstory to tell. I enjoyed both movies to be honest though they're certainly not classics. I didn't think they were as awful as people say they were though but I guess I'm just not as critical as them. I'd give them 6/10.

The HMV Page for the Titans steelbook says " blu-ray 3d + blu-ray + ultra-violet digital copy "

Attachments

• wrath.jpg
    wrath.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,203

You will be bothered if they do it that way because it means they will have to slash all the features and extras from the release & also reduce film quality.
Whereas the 2D version only occupies 22.5 GB for the film itself, the extras push it up to a total of 33 GB.
Bear in mind the 3D (MVC) version of the film is 32.5 GB and you can see that to fit both film versions on one disc would not only mean eliminating all the extras but also reducing the bitrate and therefore the picture quality given that the maximum size for a BD-50 disc is about 46.6 GB .

You will be bothered if they do it that way because it means they will have to slash all the features and extras from the release & also reduce film quality.

Yeah, that's true as I found out today that the US version, which comes as separate 2D and 3D versions, has a picture-in-picture commentary from the directors which isn't on the UK release. Annoying.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom