• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WPA & WPA2 cctv

Osplank

Novice Member
Just need a bit more help please, I see that some home CCTV equipment is advertised as being suitable for use with WAP systems. I've done a bit of research into WAP and discovered that it is some kind of security system used by internet providers.....probably everyone apart from me knows this already... however, my question is...should I buy cctv stuff that mentions suitability for WAP or wap2.. or is it just not necessary? Maybe my understanding of WAP is not quite right. Many thanks.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Do you actually mean WAP or are you referring to WPA (WiFi Protected Access) and WPA2 ?
WPA2 is certainly better from a security / anti-hacking point of view.

Osplank

Novice Member
Thanks Chris.
Yep I did mean wpa...just another of my senior moments. I'm now looking at the FDT 720p indoor wireless set up which claims to be WPA compatible. Just reading the review at present.. I'd be pleased to hear from any present users who might be able to confirm thay it would be ok to use on any connected eiri using my smart phone....Many Thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you're using the Wi-fi on your router then you have to put in a password to connect your devices to it.

WPA & WPA2 are the technologies behind that password.

If you want your CCTV to be connected to your other devices wirelessly rather than via a cable then you'll likely need one which supports that technology. Although it can probably be taken as a given these days on anything that advertises Wi-Fi. The older secure technology - WEP - has been discredited for a long time now.

It's nothing to do with the internet per say, but as most people use routers and wi-fi to share internet access between devices in their home it does come up a lot in that context.

Osplank

Novice Member
Just a quick thanks to all my helpers, I tried to reply to each person individually but my pad seems to have ideas of its own..thanks anyway to all... I've decided to scrap the whole idea of a P2P system for the time being. Cheers.

Osplank

Novice Member
Many thanks to all my helpful replies, I have tried to reply to each one individually but have problems finally sending the message. Here goes again.. Thanks for your latest info 'Endless Waves'. At present if I want to contact
my home 'phone cam' I use any local WiFi signal, but if I'm not in range then I use my phone 'data signal'. I was hoping to be able to do this with a dedicated camera... maybe I'll give it a shot later on.. Thanks again..

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom