Wow

P

Pete872

My Samsung SP50L7HX was delivered today from John Lewis. And all I can say is stunning simply stunning :eek: :thumbsup:

Although I am just using normal scarts at the minute, which I know is a very serious crime on these forums when using a TV of this quality :suicide: , I just could'nt wait until i'd got some proper cables/scarts sorted.

Right a few questions before I nip off for another fiddle:

1) Would gold plated scart leads from the usual places Supermarkets,Argos, ect be ok to use? Or is it a case of more specailist stuff?

2) I am getting a kind of blocking through my sky+ picture, is this due to again the crap scart lead I am using or something else?

3) Can I change any setting on either my sky+ or the TV to enhance/sharpen up the picture?

The only two things I am running through the tv are sky+ and a cheap dvd player from Asda for the time being. (I know I have already about cables before but can't hurt to ask again can it ;) )

Thanks for you help.

Pete :smashin:

Firstly i would say that the blocking you see from sky is the crap quality they feed out and compress. Second you can get good quality cables but if you will see minimal gain from sky as they compress the picture anyway. If your dvd has component output I would use that to get best picture quality from it. Also have you set RGB out from your sky box?

Hi Indie, How do I set RGB out from sky box?

Told you I was a novice.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete872 said:
Hi Indie, How do I set RGB out from sky box?

Told you I was a novice.

Cheers,

Pete.
Hi pete,, getting sky to RGB, press services button on top of sky remote then down to number 4, system set up. In there press picture settings and bingo all picture settings are there that your sky box can output. Hope thats ok mate :hiya:

Thanks guys thats made the PQ a lot better it was set on PAL.

Any other suggestions as too getting even better PQ I have noticed that when the picture moves quickly it's not as sharp as it should be ideally there's a very slight "catch up" for want of a better phrase.

Cheers,

Pete.

Forget about buying better SCARTs and put the money toward a player that will output component. Then treat yourself to the truly stunning Belden component cable (sold on these very forums) for a major upgrade in quality from SCART.

Ok Pauley thats the dvd sorted but what about the sky+ quality how do I increase that?

Cheers,

Pete?

You don't mate :( just wait for HD. I've not seen any broadcast source that even comes close to the quality these screens give on DVD. The size of the screen and more to the point its tremendous resolving power shows up all the deficiencies in poor broadcast images.

You can tweak it a bit. The DNIe feature helps a little, as does -according to a recent post on here- viewing in the Cinema mode facility.

I've always suspected Cinema Mode was some sort of way of smoothing out none-too great images.

It's a feature I never use when viewing DVD. I found that it tended to give the image what I can only describe as a "golden glow" - a sort of warmth, that I thought detracted slightly from the standard mode PQ, especially in terms of whites and very fine detail.

Try the opening sequence in Star Wars where the two robots are on that very white corridor. Freeze the image and switch between the modes and you'll see the effect I'm describing. No amount of tweaking of the picture settings in the Cinema Mode option seems to make any difference to this.

Pete872 said:
Ok Pauley thats the dvd sorted but what about the sky+ quality how do I increase that?

It depends how serious you are about doing it :). An RGB to component converter will get the all important component inputs which can be scaled and treated by an external (on the case of a few AVR's internal) scaler to a better resolution. This will give a much better picture but I stress it isn't cheap.

Tons of fun said:
It depends how serious you are about doing it :). An RGB to component converter will get the all important component inputs which can be scaled and treated by an external (on the case of a few AVR's internal) scaler to a better resolution. This will give a much better picture but I stress it isn't cheap.

Yes, that would indeed work. Its about £80 or so for the convertor and they sell quite well second-hand so its worth it until SkyHD comes along. Far cheaper than a new external scaler if you don' already have one.

Good thinking Ton's,
Paul

Tons of fun said:

How much we talking here? :eek:

Pete.

Scalers go from about £600 I think but there are others here far more knowledgable than I on matters like this.

I've got an RGB to Component convertor as well as Sky+ and a DVD player with only a scart connector.

I'll try hooking up the Sky+ box (and the DVD player through the Sky box) and see what the improvements are. Today or tomorrow perhaps. I'm loathe to buy a scaler until SkyHD arrives and even then I'm not sure - all we really need will be a simple 1080i deinterlacer and they would be cheap compared to a full-blown scaler (I'm right in thinking this am I?).

Paul

:suicide: I just fell off me chair!!!

Hi def it is then :D

Thanks for that.

Probably not the place to ask but can anyone recommend a decent dvd player with component output. Dont want to spend a fortune at the minute, I dont think i'll get away with it having just spent 2 grand on a tv and just moving house and all.

Pete.

PaulB said:
I'm loathe to buy a scaler until SkyHD arrives and even then I'm not sure - all we really need will be a simple 1080i deinterlacer and they would be cheap compared to a full-blown scaler (I'm right in thinking this am I?).

Your TV already has a scaler and deintelacer built in. That's how it displays standard def stuff at the moment. The display is intended for HD, so anything it shows that isn't that, has to be scaled and deinterlaced before the display can show it.

Now the question is, is an external scaler/deinterlace likely to be any better than the one in the tele? I would suggest yes, if it's expensive enough. But ones built into DVD players, I would suggest, would be about 50:50 as to whether they're better than the TV's, or not.

So the bottom line - expensive external scaler/deinterlacers good, scaling/deinterlacing DVD players maybe.

Regards

Mark

indie24 said:
If your dvd has component output I would use that to get best picture quality from it. Also have you set RGB out from your sky box?
:lease: are they the red yellow and white jacks?

Mark_a said:
Your TV already has a scaler and deintelacer built in. That's how it displays standard def stuff at the moment. The display is intended for HD, so anything it shows that isn't that, has to be scaled and deinterlaced before the display can show it.

Hi Mark,
I wasn't being clear, there is word of forthcoming standalone deinterlacers purely for hi-def material that will do a better job than the mass-market internal deinterlacers on most HDTV sets. Its one of those that I am thinking about. Of course you'd have to have been mind reader to gather that from my post! My apologies.
Paul

No. Red/White/Yellow is Audio Right, Audio Left and composite video. Composite is the worst signal protocol to use (except RF).

Component jacks are usually (confusingly) red, green and blue (but this does not represent an RGB signal; component is something different; just as good, or maybe better).

manics2003 said:
:lease: are they the red yellow and white jacks?

No, red, green and blue. This should be in the players manual. Sometimes called YUV connectors.
Paul

Attachments

• component.jpg
    component.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 57
Just thought i'd chime in here on the DVD player front, I bought a Samsung HD-850 to go with my new samsung 46" and it works almost perfectly except for with homemade DVD's. The player vehemently dislikes it if you burn a copy higher than 4x write. apart from that I have it hooked up via a set of 'monster' THX certified components i got cheap from a friend who works in Maplins and its stunning.

P.S I just sat and watched the Terminator 2 : Extreme Edition using my HTPC on WMVHD and then compared with standard Definition DVD version my word the HD version was so crisp it was almost like a window, jaw dropping stuff.

And my apologies too. I have a knack for trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs. Which is silly really, seing as she's long dead. :)

Regards

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom