1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow! Maybe I shouldn't buy Denon after all?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simon1967, Jul 9, 2002.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just browsing looking for advice on DVD players to replace my Sony 7700 and saw the thread on the Denon 2800 - 2 hours ago!!!!

Anyway, with this in mind, I am after a DVD player:
    1. Up to £1000 but preferably less.
    2. Works well with a Denon AV11 amp (or similar)
    3. Good as a music player
    4. No 'blocking ' as described on the Denon 2800.
    5. Works well on a DLP projector - probably the Marantz VP12S1.
    6. Multi-region

Also, what has moved on in DVD technology in the past 3 years. I paid about £800 for the flagship model and is it now old tech? Judging what has been posted re. the Denon 2800, it seems that £800 is no guarantee of quality. What is this chroma(?) problem that people seem to complain about? Will I notice more digital artefacts moving from a CRT projector to a DLP projector with the new DVD players? What is the benefit of progressive scan and do I need it if the projector is either the Marantz VP12S1 or Sharp 9000?

My comments are a bit vague and include options as my set-up will be all bought from scratch as my old system is sold lock, stock and two smoking barrels. Thanks again for opinions and advice.

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Advances include higher-resolution and higher-quality video and audio DACs, CD-R and CD-RW compatibility, MP3 playback, improved stability, component outputs, internal de-interlacers, and DVD-Audio and SACD. 1999's flagship model isn't worth a lot today.

Read all about:
    The chroma bug.

Progressive scan

As far as your DVD player choices, I can tell you I've got a Pioneer DV-545 connected to a Denon AVC-A10SE. I use it to play DVDs and CDs and I'm very happy.

If you're going to get the Sharp or Marantz projectors, you don't need a player with progressive scan, as both projectors have excellent de-interlacers. Just look for a player with good picture quality and component outputs (the Sharp S-video input isn't so good).

Maybe you could have a look at the Toshiba SD900E. It's excellent both as a DVD player and CD, it has DVD-Audio and you can find it at a very good price.

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the Arcam DV27 FMJ which was £1,599 - it can output both PAL and NTSC progressive component BUT it does suffer with the Chroma bug. Other than that, I am very happy with it. CD playback is OK, about the same as a £400-£500 player but certainly not top notch.

Finding a player that does reliable PAL progressive is difficult. This (and the DV88P which uses the same board) are about the only affordable ones AFAIK. Having PAL progressive is definately worth the investment, especially when connected to a projector.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yikes! at £1500...think there are cheaper alternatives than this.

dont forget the Philips Q50 and 962SA... between £450-550.

only drawback is you'll have to order them from abroad from somewhere like hivizone since the european versions dont have prog scan.

the 962 is also a SACD player so should be okay as a CD player.

I'm sure zAndy1 (?) will pop up with more info if you ask nicely.

the Denon 2800mkII is a possibility.. but unproven at the moment. it will hopefully fix some of the current model's problems.

5. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I see that this is now being advertised. Is this a replacement for the Mk 1 or an alternative with additional features. I notice the outgoing models are £600-650 - will the mkII be the same price?

Another question, the 3800 has DVD-Audio. Anybody had proper demos of this - I'm interested as I am pretty much a die-hard stereo music listener. How much music is available, does it cost any more, will all music eventually be made this way and how many channels does it use?

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this is a complete replacement, the 2800 original is now discontinued. similar but with some newer chipsets and improved video performance (mostly on the progressive side).
    the mkII should be about the same price, give or take £50.. (say £650-750).

not had a demo of the 3800 specifically (which theoretically should be even better than the 2800 mkII - though this is unproven also)... I have tried a few dvd-a & sacds players, generally very good/ excellent in 5 channels, although SACD was originally 2 channel only.
    there's not a great deal available at the moment and more expensive.

However... IMHO, neither DVD-A or SACD has really taken off.. if either is going to, it looks like SACD at the moment.

Sony and others are looking at using universal chipsets for the next generation of players so most will be SACD & DVD-Audio capable... Sony are meant to be working with Linn on this at the moment if reports are true.