Would youbuy a nexus 7 or wait to see if ipad mini happens?

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by martylaa, Aug 22, 2012.

1. martylaa

martylaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Need something for wifi network at work when I am away from home, we have iPad and IMac at home and I need something for FaceTime or Skype calls when I am at work. Also want it for Internet browsing maybe the occasional games, loading my kindle books onto it and watching a movie or show maybe.
    What would you do?

2. Eye of Harmony

Eye of Harmony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm waiting it out to see what happens with the iPad mini. The rumours and leaks seem to be gathering momentum and weight. The nexus is tempting, but I'd be gutted if I plumped for one then an iPad mini came out within a few months. Also, if the rumours are tue, the iPad will have a bigger screen in a similar size package to the nexus.

3. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    I'd probably go Nexus but then I don't have any other Apple products to worry about integrating with or sharing stuff on.

4. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've got an iPad, and I recently picked up a nexus 7 (just because). Its a really nice little gadget - absurdly good value for money. Its nice and light, and although the experience is different to using an iPad, the usability, ergonomics and performance are all spot on. Hard to believe its only 200 quid, really.

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,040
    The Nexus is pretty much being sold at cost. The iPad mini will be at a premium.

6. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    only had my nexus for a day but am already in love with it- its already a favourite with my wife which means I get more time on my rig :devil:

7. primadonna

primadonna
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go for waiting for the iPad mini as well!

8. Eye of Harmony

Eye of Harmony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well it looks like the choice just got a little more complicated. If you can stomach the apparently awful UI, the new Kindle Fire starts at £149, which is enough to give pause for thought. Not sure if Skype is available for it though.

Personally I'm still hanging on for the iPad Mini, which sounds like it's basically going to be an iPad 2 with an 8" screen.

9. anika hanson

anika hanson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'd go for the nexus. Better all round tablet than the current ipad imo. I'd suspect that the ipad mini will be a smaller version of the ipad 3.

10. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    The nexus is an amazing piece of kit, really is good, proper high tech kit. I'm not a i-pad fan so I would of got a nexus but people at work who love apple are tempted. I Carn't set the mini being released even close to the same price.

11. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Nexus 7 all the way. Though I may wait for the next version as I'd like to see an SD\Micro SD card reader.

I know that it's been said before, but Apple products are too limited and too tightly controlled. I disagree with Apple's philosophy of trying to dictate what you do with a device that you own.

You cannot write your own software for an Apple device without rooting it, and you cannot root it without voiding the warranty. If I cannot use a device the way that I want to use it, I might as well not bother.

12. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,326
    Just picked up the 8GB version of the tablet secondhand as don't really need the storage space.

Think if you play the bigger games you'd want the 16GB, but for a cheap tablet as you described, even the 8GB version will be enough storage.

It's a great bit of kit and a steal for the money. It's cheap enough that even if your requirements chance and you decide to sell, you'll not actually loose very much. They are selling on here for £175 for the 16GB s'hand, so you'll loose £30 if you decide it's not for you or your requirements change (or you must that that new iPad regardless of cost)

13. rdmbfossa

rdmbfossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Interesting to see if the iPad mini does happen which I hope it does. Difficult to see it being much cheaper than £230 but if it is then great. iPod touch is from£139 and iPad2 from £329 so it needs to be somewhere in the middle but not too much more than the Nexus/Kindle, I think it will be more based on an iPad2 rather than iPad3 to try to keep the sale price low. I would prefer the iPad simply because I find the 7" screens a little too small and already having an iPad I have invested in apps, rather than have to purchase similar ones again on a different platform.

14. Tran67

Tran67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There are loads of Chinese tablets with good specs eg Ployer Momo,it is just that people only look at what's in the High Street shops eg PcWorld,look at forums for good reviews,look at the supplier reviews as well as the device reviews,I am looking at Momo 8IPS,£115 with Google Play,HD& 3D outs,dual core,but there are others out there(pipo,yarvik etc,)don't just get sucked in by the Yank big companies

15. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Personally I'd hold out a couple more weeks for news on the nexus 7 32gb version. A Carphone warehouse employee leaked a screen shot from their warehouse of it listed as £199 so the nexus 7 may be about to be reduced in price a bit more

16. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm waiting for 32GB as well, suspect the price will be £199 (as another poster has said), with the 16GB dropping in price. All in response to the iPad Mini. Thanks Apple :D

17. lentrix

lentrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi - quick (stupid?) question for you on the Nexus 7 32gb 3g.

Can i download films/tv sets etc and then watch them later as you can do with apple ??

I believe this cannot be done with the kindle fire as you have to stream movies to watch them (no good for when on a plane or train)

thx

18. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I think you can, Google is changing g its movie service as we speak to allow this, its not cheap a the moment t though. There's no reason you have to use the play store though. With the players available in the play store android can deal with most formats so you could download DVD rips or anything you like from anywhere. Don't forget you can still mount a USB stick with an otg cable to add even more space

19. lentrix

lentrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    sorry - by download i meant d/load from the google movie store and watch later. Not external downloads.

also does the google store have tv series ?

20. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Just checked and you can, the ability to buy was only added yesterday so there's not a lot of titles to choose from yet, I presume they will be adding more. Google "Google play movies download" and there's a support page about it, sorry I can't post the link from my phone as it redirects to the play store

21. lentrix

lentrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  22. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    Try this:

https://play.google.com/store/movies

23. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Yeah you can download there is like a little pin at the left hand corner of each movie you have in the library click that and it will download. Useful for someone like me who watches a lot of things on break at work.