1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you support an EU or a UN/world tax?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Master Rahl, May 26, 2005.

1. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On income, that is. What would you feel if the EU decided to take say, 5% of income over the poverty line in a country, from all EU citizens, and all businesses?

Or perhaps we need to go with Chirac's world tax plan. Would you support an income tax from the UN?

Lastly, how about an extra 5% on the sales tax for aid in Africa? You know, a bit more welfare to the world to ease off the huge difference between Europe and Africa?

(Keep in mind I do not support any such thing because I want the US to withdraw from the UN. I'm wondering how UN supports and EU supporters would feel about such a thing.)

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    It's a rubbish idea.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,547
    Get lost!

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    How about an extra 5% tax for all Americans to ease off the huge difference between USA and Mexico? :hiya:

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Nobber, you know damn well, we are only allowed to talk about Rahls questions directly. He doesn't want to talk about America. :lesson: :D

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    My mistake! :D

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you'll have to find some first! but I'm against anybody taking even more tax from me!

8. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Perhaps all Americans should eat 5% less food and donate that to the cause...

...or perhaps talk 5% less ******** and help reduce global warming.

EU tax my ar$e...

;)

(all in jest mate)

9. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you guys be so uncompassionate? (Same argument used against conservatives who object to the welfare state concept.)

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    it's not a case of compassion, I give a lot to various charities, but you give it to Governments or quasi governmental organisations you have no idea where your money is going to end up!

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Quite easily. We just imitate Americans (kiling innocent people in illigal wars. Not caring about the environment. Currently building a terrible human rights record). :rotfl:

Being uncompassionate has absolutely nothing to do with it. I help third world countries in my way (my mothers Church sponsor a village about 100km from Mombassa in Kenya). The money we give goes direct to building schools and other infrastructure.

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,547
    Nope, its just that i have better uses for my money!

Plus i already pay taxes to the government, don't see why i should be paying again!

13. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I (like many other people I bet) feel sorry for the poor people who are starving through no fault of theirs, because their government is corrupt.
    However, we are not responsible for their problems: if the government is corrupt, throw them out ! Have a revolution ! Take your future into your own hands !

When it comes to the country's debts, they borrowed the money in the first place didn't they ? The UK isn't going to get it's massive WWII debts cancelled is it ?

Again I do feel very sorry for these poor people and nobody should have to endure this, but I'm sick of being harassed on TV, radio, in the streets by people asking me for money: give for the RSPCA, the NSPCC, UNICEF, OXFAM, Red Cross, Save Dolphins, Save Africa, Save the world...

14. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    not with my money, no way.

15. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...as Homer Simpson once said...

"Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the Homer tax."

...I'll pay the Shady tax thank you very much...

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    ? :confused: Really? In no small part we are. Our farmers demand subsidies, and then dump the huge excess from their oversubsidised products on the third World. Thus putting many 3rd World farmers out of business.

On the other hand we have indulged in creating "colonial economies" where we (or the US in most cases) literally went in (with troops or backed corrupt govts with troops) and allowed our companies to create mono cultures, the produce of which we pay (we the consumer) as little as possible, meaning the farmers live in poverty.

Either way it ends in poverty.

On the other hand we exploited these countries to death as colonies, leaving them bibles and rusting colonial residences as a reminder of how 'beneficial' we were.

We then backed many of those "corrupt govts", regardless of how much misery they caused, during the cold war under the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' theory.

So, yes I suppose you could say it's nothing to do with us........... :rolleyes:

On the other hand I agree with Mrtbag. The only way to get money to the people that need it, is to bypass govt altogether and give to 3rd World charity. Which we do.

17. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems the general message here is "I work for my own money, and I should have the ability to decide how and where to give to charities." Would you then still support the concept of a welfare state? Do you want your government controlled health care? The government pension? And so forth? Why is the one acceptable, but the other not?

18. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For large scale taxes such as this, all of the governments within the respective countries need to start levying an identical tax to start with. Not bloody likely though is it? :)

19. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    We have more access to data and information about where our tax money is spent in this country. Although the results are not a brilliant service for the money, I find the system OK.

I can never see many of Third World governments being so free with the accounts. They would never want us to see how much is spent on their Bentleys.

That is why one is acceptable and the other not. Why do you not support the welfare state?

20. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you would support a UN or EU tax if there was accountability?

21. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The UN and EU are not the problem. The only way they will be able to get the money to the people in need is via the currupt governments of the third world. Until these governments are changed, there will always be poverty. Whether money is raised via tax or charities, we have to find a way to get the money to the people who need it.

You seemed to have skimmed over the question I asked. ;)

22. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about local stuff then? I am a regular reader of the Economist and they indicate that the universities in the United Kingom have funding problems.

Would you support an extra 5% sales tax if ALL of the money went into education?

I personally believe that a man is entitled to all of the fruits of his labor and that to take money by force or under threat of force (such as the government) is stealing. I do not believe an organization, including the government, should steal from hard working people in order to redistribute their wealth to those that did not earn it.

23. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, what is your problem with a EU tax if it will be spent by Brussels, and accounted for by Brussels? You can have a dual layer of taxes, like us. Federal income tax, and state income tax (in most states). You first pay the 10-15% EU tax, submitted directly to Brussels for the common good of the EU, and then you pay your British income tax.

24. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Which takes us back to a statement made by somebody a short while ago.We are not,and never will be,a state in the United States of Europe.

25. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    No. I personally believe that a man is entitled to all of the fruits of his labor and that to take money by force or under threat of force (such as the government) is stealing. I do not believe an organization, including the government, should steal from hard working people in order to redistribute their wealth to those that did not earn it. :D

Why would I, a British citizen want to give my money to somebody in Brussels to distribute to the EU? The EU is wealthy enough without me paying extra. Africa needs the help not them.

26. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    The USA seem to do OK being an old british colony.. so is Australia, so is Canada, South Africa, Egypt, India isn't the poorest country either...
    Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria (although their last civil war didn't help them), many island that were part of the French empire aren't too bad either.

You hear some countries blame the old empires for their problems but please, it's been like 50 years or more, at some point one has to start taking responsibilities for his own life !

As I said before I do feel sorry for the people but the mess they are in isn't because of you and me, it's because of their present and past leaders, because they are/were corrupt and use the money to drive Bentleys and live in palaces.
    And you know what ? If Tony Blair (and trust me I don't like the guy) or any other western leader does nothing about it, he gets accused of not caring etc. and if he tries to do something to rid the countries of their rogue leaders, he gets accused of trying to shape the world and impose his own views by the same countries he tries to help.
    What are we supposed to do apart from sending money into a black hole ?

27. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ' No taxation , without Representation !! '

28. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The funding of UK universities should be the subject of an entirely different thread as it has no relevance to this matter. FWIW, the main reason that the universities are underfunded is due to the government's daft idea that 50% of school-leavers should go onto higher education.

And that's coming from a current student, go on then, who doesn't think I deserve my place here? :)

29. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    I also think that the universities are a waste of time for the majority of people who attend them.

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,547
    I'm happy for that. Lets face it, i won't be getting a state pension when i retire, i have private healthcare, and i choose what charities to give my money to.