1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you still buy your TV now ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by evolution400, Apr 4, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Question for any DLP owners.
    I bought my Sagem 50" DLP in January of this year I am thrilled with the tv but not with the price drop from 2k > £1599 in my local comets.
    If I had known about the price drop I would have waited indefinately and yes I would have bought the same tv for that price a bargain !
    The only other TV that I would consider at the moment for the price would be the Optoma RD50 but as they dont do it in silver it would make my system look odd :)
    The region 1 issue is resolved by using DVI so wouldn't affect me either but overall I think I would still have purchased the Sagem 50" even with the HDCP issue.
    Doesnt look like SKY will have implemented HDTV until next year anyway at least.
    In my local comet they have the Sagem 45" and The Sagem 50" side by side I think the Sagem 50" has a much clearer picture anyone else seen a demo of both ?

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Have you ever thought about getting the case sprayed. My friend is looking into doing his B&O system soon and the price isnt that much around £90. (I would personally bin the B&O and get something proper :))

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The region one issue is solved with a PC with the VGA or DVI inputs & if you don't mind having a PC or HTPC in the living room.:)
    It's allways dissapointing when something you buy get's a big price cut a couple of month's later.
    I have seen both Sagem's with the Hidef demo's & with DVD I saw the Sagem50 in December & was the reason i ordered my RD50 without a demo as the newer model with the HD2+ was bound to be better.( newer is not allways better )
    I saw the 45 last month .
    The 50 is better with hidef & DVD & a lot better with skin tones

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Too much potch mate and I bet you lose the warranty if you take it apart and spray it :)
    I wonder how similar the sets are if its possible to swap the components?
    mmmmmm.............I bet Optoma and Sagem would have already done that if it was possible to please the buyers with the HDCP issue on the older Optoma and the Sagem 50".
    Good idea though :)

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah tell me about it St_ve was gutted when I saw the price tag damn comets and they wouldn't drop the price by £10 when I tried to purchase the TV back in Jan if they had I would have possibly broken it to get a redund then pruchase another :)
    Glad your happy with the RD50 the region 1 issue and colour was the only thing that stopped me getting one to be honest as I agree with you newer is normally better but not always.

6. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    bought the hd d45 and would buy it again, great tv but then again ive not got my final one yet, first had sound issues and now the second one has loads of dead pixels. i am praying third time lucky. picture quality is outstanding though.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Your right it is alot of hassel. My friends B&O system is over 5 years old. It could be an excuse to cahnge all your av gear :D

From what Optoma have told me the RD50 and the HD50 are totally different. The HD50 is the USA RD50 which uses the HD2 chip. The RD50 in the UK and Europe has a HD2+ chip. I was told that the only thing similar was the case. How true this is I wouldnt like to say. I would of thought that the differences would of been

a. Different chip HD2+
    b. Different colour wheel
    c. Added digital in board (DVI)
    d. Different firmware

I cant think of any other differences unless they used a brighter bulb or different screen.

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    too different then I work with PCs was thinking if it was board swap or somthing simple I would have a go not into gutting the tv though he he cheer for info.
    I just bought a Infocus 4805 DLP projector aswell for my "cinema room" :)
    Thats quite impressive not as good pic as the Sagem though but I think thats because of the maximum res is lower than the Sagem and its hooked up to my xbx media center for everything. I got it from US and A for bargain price of £530 they go for 1k over here I think and it has HDCP so I can have HDTV somewhere at least :)

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Optoma screen seems to be very good with vertical viewing angles compared to most sets is the Sagem 50 the same, you can't tell in Comets as they have them mounted so high.
    As your set is so similar to the American RD50 you might get a HDCP upgrade like they did.Heard any more on that lately?

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes mate Its excellent for virtical viewing I thought that it was one of the bad points of DLPs guess not for our sets :)
    I didn't know that, you seem to know more about my Tv than me mate :)
    good news then if they got the upgrade us Sagem owners will have to band together in the UK and attack Sagem :)

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Evo

My father has the infocus 7205 DLP HD2+, once I saw this I fell in love with DLP. In fact if it wasn't for the infocus I probably wouldn't have the RD65 today. I have also seen the infocus 5700 on a 6 foot screen which has the lower resloution (not HD) the picture was better than any plasma. Excellent maker of projectors

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah I read read the reviews for infocus and for the price I had to go with it the xbox is my HCPC linked to my media center 2005 pc via wifi I get TV, divx, dvd music the lot :)

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish they could make the front Projector screen's show a picture as bright as the rear projector DLPs i could fit an 8 foot screen in my front room :smashin:

14. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah I know what you mean steve impossibble to have a proj in a big room which has lots of light I use a black out blind for my proj :)

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

If only they did 8 foot wide rear pros....... :devil:

16. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I thought your TV was that big anyway mate :)

17. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my sagem HD-D45 for 5 weeks now and would buy it again! Although I did have my share of hastle with this set and others think the PQ can be bettered with other dlp sets i`m still very happy now with my set up. The picture is in the main very good and at times breathtaking and looks fantastic in my lounge! Prices will always drop and deals will always get better in time but whats new. the main thing is that you are enjoying your set up and not sat around searching for the best deal frustrated!
    It seams that in todays digital age as soon as a new technology hits the shops it is already out of date.

Chris

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Nice post Riva, the sagem HD45 owners are being very quiet lately.

19. snaffler

snaffler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had an HD-45 for about two months now and would definitely buy it again. Picture quality is excellent (I play DVDs from a MacMini using the DVI out) and the only annoying thing is that it shows just how bad the encoding is on my Telewest setup.

I bought a Freeview box (the Netgem, as it seems to offer good picture quality and is suitable geeky, running Linux as it does) to get improved PQ for a few of the channels - that's helped.

The HD45 is bristling with inputs, very reliable and has impressed everyone who's seen it, particularly with the viewing angle. Getting the height of the set right made a big difference to the picture quality, but the horizontal viewing range is very impressive indeed.

Like a lot of people on the forum, I spent the first few days looking for artefacts and issues; now I've settled into enjoying watching TV everything is fantastic. On that note, at one point I was running a Cambridge Audio DVD on the DVI input and doing comparisons with the Mac Mini - I came to the conclusion that though the rendering was subtly different it wasn't a case of one being better than the other.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    What replay software are you using? Can you use theatre tek or windvd6?

21. snaffler

snaffler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem, WinDVD on a Mac? I use either the Mac OS DVD player or VLC, both work very well.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    True what I thinking windvd on a mac LOL...

I have VLC and it can play absolutely everything, evan bin files. I wouldnt put it top of the list for pic quality is the Mac OS better?

Those mini mac are very small. I thought it was a box of tissues when I first saw it round a clients house.... lol :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

23. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Damn it Sagem Axium 50" 1399 in Comet the pain I am feeling :(
    Not taking anywathing away form the 45" owneers but how can you pay 1999 for 45" when you can get the 50 for £1399.

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    HDCP is an expensive option.

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  26. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
  27. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    If this box is anything to go by there should be more out soon. DVI to DVI HDMI to HDMI etc.

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Has he oh> :rolleyes:

I thought he was tempted by comets price. :cool:

30. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No he's kicking himself because he bought before the price drops :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    No offence Evo you have a good set & that DVI HDCP to VGA should make life easier for you next year when the Sky hidef sevice starts, you'll lose a little quality having the signal degraded by the vga input but the picture should be far better than you get now.
    I would'nt rush out to get one now they'll be a lot cheaper next year & the Sky hidef box might have a vga out anyway.