Would you rent a dress?

Reese Withouterspoon

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've just seen this article in The Guardian about summer dresses which are available to buy, either new or second-hand, or to rent. The rental terms vary from a period of about 3-4 days up to about 2 weeks - or even longer for some.

I can understand why someone might opt to rent a ballgown for a formal occasion - or even a wedding dress and/or bridesmaid dresses but I'm bemused at the idea that someone might rent a couple of summer dresses to take away on holiday, for example. Presumably, that's the idea for a 2 week rental option though.

That said, some of these dresses are absolute monstrosities, so I can understand not wanting to buy them - but nor would I want to rent them either. 🤔

Would you?

Probably not unless...
I was very very drunk
I was very very very drunk and had just shaved my legs😉

It's all about the environment, the rising cost of living, and being a hipster innit? What do you expect coming from the Grauniad? They're meant to be opposed to gentrification, but actively promotes it. It's a newspaper that can have a report about people living in abject poverty, with links to £1M houses, where you can buy the most expensive deconstructed meals, and the latest crApple product at the bottom of the article. (Full disclosure: I read it too. I am not a hipster.)

I've got a thing about not wearing other people's clothes unless I'm close to them (partner, sibling, close friend) so for me it's a total no go. I do occasionally buy something from a charity shop, but at least when I get it home I can wash it as much as I want before I consider it clean enough, and if I trash it I've at least paid for it. They're also usually t-shirts, and if I haven't seen a design, it's rare enough or I missed it first time around, and as I collect tees (I have some one offs from designers designed especially for me), they usually get vacuum packed and added to the collection.

I suppose it all depends on what your situation/personal choice/feelings dictate, though. I can understand it for things like bridesmaid dresses or tuxedos, because they tend to be used minimally for most people. There's also a bit of a market for it when it comes to people who need to do something as a project or as part of work. Rather than keep a load of clothes that will be used minimally, it's easier and cheaper to just rent them for a period, and you don't have as much of a problem with storage and costs.

I do occasionally buy something from a charity shop, but at least when I get it home I can wash it as much as I want before I consider it clean enough,
I expect since the hire firm is charging - will recoup the cost several times - they can afford proper cleaning each time it's returned.
And the four points are:
1. The garments can be higher value/quality than many people would buy,
2. Variety, some people (women) don't like to be seen in the same outfit even twice,
3. Storage, why put something away in the wardrobe that you're never likely to wear again,
4. It's a different cycle than paying full price, wearing once, then gifting to charity for the next user to get it cheap - the hirer is taking charity out of the equation and probably charging more than charity shop prices to each user.

I though the new thing was really cheap clothes from a online store that you sent back if you did like or binned after one use.

I though the new thing was really cheap clothes from a online store that you sent back if you did like or binned after one use.
Amazon 'Try before you buy'?

Amazon 'Try before you buy'?
You still get charged if you send stuff back. If it's damaged or not what you ordered, then they're fine, but just ordering and then changing your mind gets charged for.

They are cracking down on returns.

Actually I think I would. I checked out one dress in that link. £19 to rent for up to 12 days or buy new for £102. By renting, one can always have different dresses for each vacation and more importantly for those all important Instagram/Facebook pics! It’s a good way to have an affordable, varied, good quality, rotating wardrobe.

Another option is sweatshop-produced, cheap throwaway fashion. I’m no stranger to that either.

I have a maximum budget of £60 for purchasing a new dress but even that is getting way too steep for my liking.

To me, a large collection of special occasion/semi special occasion dresses seems a bit of a waste. I have a large collection gathering dust that have never been worn more than once or twice.

As a man, I honestly don't understand anybody buying a garment to wear only the once, even wedding dresses seem an absolute waste of money, not to mention the craft and materials that went into the making of the dress. For one off events I certainly see the case for hiring.

In the past year, I've started making my own clothes, partly because I lost some weight so my clothes didn't fit and partly because men's clothes can be so incredibly dull, and any that have a little more design are very expensive. Making my own wardrobe, piece by piece has given me greater respect for the clothes I wear, and I can assure you that none of my clothes are going to be languishing in the back of my wardrobe, never to see the light of day.

I do agree with @Reese Withouterspoon that the majority of the dresses in that article are horrible, so not really a great advert for the issue.

As a man, I honestly don't understand anybody buying a garment to wear only the once, even wedding dresses seem an absolute waste of money, not to mention the craft and materials that went into the making of the dress. For one off events I certainly see the case for hiring.

In the past year, I've started making my own clothes, partly because I lost some weight so my clothes didn't fit and partly because men's clothes can be so incredibly dull, and any that have a little more design are very expensive. Making my own wardrobe, piece by piece has given me greater respect for the clothes I wear, and I can assure you that none of my clothes are going to be languishing in the back of my wardrobe, never to see the light of day.

I do agree with @Reese Withouterspoon that the majority of the dresses in that article are horrible, so not really a great advert for the issue.
I can totally understand why someone might rent their wedding dress - particularly if they have seen something which is the dress of their dreams and it is beyond their price range to buy. If they see something to rent which is the same, it makes perfect sense.

When Mr W and I got married three years ago (after 19 years together), I wanted something very specific because I was an "older bride", because we've both been married before and I didn't want the dress to be white, cream or ivory - and because I had a particular style in mind.

The only way I could achieve that was to have the dress made for me, to my own design, which is what I did. Of course the issue now is that I am unlikely to wear it again and I'm not sure what to do with it. I could sell it but I am also considering donating it to a charity which supplies dresses to people with terminal illnesses who wish to get married at short notice. It's a gorgeous dress and I would love it if someone else got the chance to wear it.

I can totally understand why someone might rent their wedding dress - particularly if they have seen something which is the dress of their dreams and it is beyond their price range to buy. If they see something to rent which is the same, it makes perfect sense.

When Mr W and I got married three years ago (after 19 years together), I wanted something very specific because I was an "older bride", because we've both been married before and I didn't want the dress to be white, cream or ivory - and because I had a particular style in mind.

The only way I could achieve that was to have the dress made for me, to my own design, which is what I did. Of course the issue now is that I am unlikely to wear it again and I'm not sure what to do with it. I could sell it but I am also considering donating it to a charity which supplies dresses to people with terminal illnesses who wish to get married at short notice. It's a gorgeous dress and I would love it if someone else got the chance to wear it.
I think that's a lovely thing to do. If you're not going to wear it again or repurpose it with some alterations then you couldn't do better than passing it on to someone else to enjoy again.

For those with kids going to Prom and dresses running £400, £500 or more (yes, seriously that is how much some parents are paying) then have a look here, Not only do they hire dresses but they also provide free rental to those economically challenged.

We all used rented suits for a wedding recently . .
What's the difference :)

I have around 130 dresses in my wardrobe so I am sure I could find something for most occasions. Perhaps I should consider renting some out😀
How much would you charge?
Asking for a friend. :blush: :rotfl:

I've recently discovered Vinted, I bought a faux fur jacket and shoes (new) for my daughter's wedding, £11 for both, I've also sold quite a few items now too

I think it makes sense. I’ve often had to hire kilts for weddings and functions, al though I’m not overly keen on wearing something that someone else‘s Betty Swallocks have been in.

We all used rented suits for a wedding recently . .
What's the difference :)
I had to wear a tux last year. There really wasn't much in it (£80 to rent and £100 to buy). I bought as I thought it was more economical, but I have no idea where I'm ever going to be going where ill be wearing a tux. My funeral possibly.

I had to wear a tux last year. There really wasn't much in it (£80 to rent and £100 to buy). I bought as I thought it was more economical, but I have no idea where I'm ever going to be going where ill be wearing a tux. My funeral possibly.

When I used to work in London and have s****y end-of-year dos, we used to buy a tux and buy a new white shirt every year. Turned out cheaper than renting every year and less fuss. I've used it once since then. The cummerbund hides a lot of sins when it comes to increasing/decreasing waistlines. You don't really have to button up the jacket, so no one will really notice if it's a bit too big/too small.

I'd forgotten all about this thread... but anyway, many of the more recent posts seem to be overlooking the fact that the original post wasn't to do with whether you'd rent an outfit for a formal occasion - because of course clearly many people do and have done for a very long time - but whether you'd rent something less formal just for a few days or a couple of weeks for say a holiday, instead of buying it.

I certainly wouldn't. For everyday wear - or even holidaywear - if I liked something well enough I'd buy it.

What about New Year's eve outfits? Anyone renting those?
We have a costume party at work and i don't have a clue what to wear
I wouldn't mind renting one of those 20s style flapper dresses for NYE but I haven't got anything planned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom