• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Would you recommend the Denon 1920?

K

kit23

Hi

iv heard that the Denon DVD1920 is an ok DVD player. Does anyone out there have this player and can tell me how good it really is on the big screen? How’s the picture and sound compare to most of the other players out there? would anyone recommend this player? or would you say there is a better player out there for the money?

thanks for your help on this

B

bluecupra

For the money i think you can't go wrong with the Denon 1920,

Have mine for an week now. Have got the upscaling function enabled (720p).The PQ on my HItachi 42PD7200 is superb.

Can recommend it :clap:

Jeffrey

N

NigeD

I completely agree! I have had the 1920 for a couple of weeks and it is superb for the money. Like Jeffrey, I have the Hitachi and the picture is excellent - go for it!

butlerpeter

Established Member
I'd go along with that - had mine about a week and it's been great so far.

Have just flashed it with the multiregion firmware, so even happier now.

F

Fluffy-Bunny

I thought the 1920 had a Faroudja DCDi scaler.

On the Denon webpage it states the 1920 has "HDMI with Scaling from Silicon Image 480p/720p/1080i"

K

kit23

Hi

Im going to be putting this dvd player with the Philips 37PF9830 which has 1920x1080p resolution do you guys think this will be a good match?

Repton

Established Member
bluecupra said:
For the money i think you can't go wrong with the Denon 1920,

Have mine for an week now. Have got the upscaling function enabled (720p).The PQ on my HItachi 42PD7200 is superb.

Can recommend it :clap:

Jeffrey

I second to that.

leeboy22001

Established Member
Fluffy-Bunny said:
I thought the 1920 had a Faroudja DCDi scaler.

On the Denon webpage it states the 1920 has "HDMI with Scaling from Silicon Image 480p/720p/1080i"

The De-interlacing is done by the Faroudja DCDi, scaling is done via the Silcon image part.

B

bluecupra

butlerpeter said:
I'd go along with that - had mine about a week and it's been great so far.

Have just flashed it with the multiregion firmware, so even happier now.

Were did you find the multiregion firmware?

butlerpeter

Established Member
bluecupra said:
Were did you find the multiregion firmware?
Was sent to me by PeterTyson

Repton

Established Member
1 sec delay

Repton

Established Member
still much better than most players on the budget end. The transport is also very quiet.

butlerpeter

Established Member
akhc said:
how does the Denon do on switching layers on DVD?
I've had chance to watch a few dvd's on mine now. On the very first one I watched (happened to be Con-Air) I did notice a slight pause at the layer change, much less than a second though.

I haven't noticed it at all on anything else I've watched.

Bogeyed

Standard Member
The specification quotes a 2Mb buffer for fast layer change-dont know how that compares to other players though,or how fast is 'fast'.

Repton

Established Member
Like we all said before it is still noticable but not too distracting. To be honest I haven't measured it in milli seconds! I've been too busy enjoying the picture quality and DVDs I'm watching. :rolleyes:

ozdvduser

Established Member
Bogeyed said:
The specification quotes a 2Mb buffer for fast layer change-dont know how that compares to other players though,or how fast is 'fast'.
2910 has 8mb buffer, no layer change noticed

H

Horace_goes_Yay

As somebody who was looking to pair up a shiny new PHD8 with a 2910, I'm intrigued by the 1920. Or specifically, the £300 difference intrigues me, given the advent of HD & Blu-Ray.

Has anyone tried them out side by side ?

Les E

Established Member
I ave seen this model in black on a few mail order sites, which are also claiming it's multi-region for around £229.

Does anyone know a site/store that will deliver to a works address opposed to a billing one?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom