would you recommend audiolab 6000a + elac debut b5.2?

klckl

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just move to UK, sold my Klipsch powered speakers (R-51PM, i quite like them except for the static noise when nothing is played - had a small-ish room in my last city), and want to get into amp + passive speakers.

New room with tv is around 5x6m, with a very mixed usage - tv (mostly youtube, laptop content), vinyl (dance music and classical), also spotify sometimes with bluetooth. It's an apartment so I won't listen to high volume; Ideally the amp should have 2 optical in, or 1 + hdmi, phono is nice to have not mandate. My room is still small so if the bass port is facing forward I can use my space a lot more efficiently.

After some research I find 6000A and B5.2, would anyone have experience in this combo, and would you recommend putting them together?

Thank you!

ps: also considering klipsch the fives for the simplicity...

Last edited:
I feel you would be better off paring the AudioLab 6000A with something better than the Elac Debut B5.2 speakers and maybe you should be looking at Klipsch RP-500M as this should bring some of the sound stage you enjoyed from your old Klipsch (even though they aren't powered). As they are little more, they should also be more in keeping with that the AudioLab to create a better balanced sound

In this case maybe i should 'downgrade' a bit actually, this combo is out of my budget.
maybe nad c328 and rp-400m, or second hand if I can find them.

with what you said, i'd consider nad c328 with q acoustic 3020i/concept 20 as well, or r-41m

I find there are not a lot of integrated amp with 2 optical in, in the £500 range?

Or the Denon DRA 800 h.
2 opticals as well as a host of other connections. I had an Audiolab 6000a before this but find the Denon better with my QA Concept 20s.

….and here:
It’s £499!

thanks. For now i might go for PMA600 with rp-500M
but also found the Cambridge Audio AXR100 interesting, may worth to stretch a bit....😂

thanks. For now i might go for PMA600 with rp-500M
but also found the Cambridge Audio AXR100 interesting, may worth to stretch a bit....😂
Klipsch speakers should work well with the Denon PMA600ne. It should tame their brightness, and the speakers will play loud despite the modest power of the Denon.

My experience with budget Cambridge Audio equipment is very hit and miss. Have had to send back 50% of items due to faults. They are nice when they work and the AXR85 and 100 sound a little better than the Denon, but be prepared to return them if its dodgy out the box. I don't mean to diss Cambridge Audio. Maybe I just got unlucky...but online reviews on Richer Sounds says similar things (e.g. being sent 2 or 3 dodgy items in a row or having sonething fail within days if the warranty expiring).

Check out Peter Tyson online. They do a range of deals e.g. amps and speakers. I'm not affiliated to them in any way. Other dealers are available.

They'll also do custom deals if you ask :)
thanks

just a thought - if i am going for klipsch, may be i should stick with elac b5.2 😂 and save a bit for stands
amp - still sticking to pma600, or axr100 if i can find a used one.

thanks

just a thought - if i am going for klipsch, may be i should stick with elac b5.2 😂 and save a bit for stands
There is currently a refurbished PMA600ne on Ebay for under £300...at least it was there this afternoon.

I don't think the Elac would be a good fit for the Denon. Something with some sparkle and liveliness will compliment the Denon's veeeeery laidback, muscular, warm presentation. I would avoid Q Acoustics and Wharfedale too. Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Mission...these would be better.

PS. If you are looking a cheap used bargain, check out the classifieds here on AVForums too. There are a few options...

There is currently a refurbished PMA600ne on Ebay for under £300...at least it was there this afternoon.

I don't think the Elac would be a good fit for the Denon. Something with some sparkle and liveliness will compliment the Denon's veeeeery laidback, muscular, warm presentation. I would avoid Q Acoustics and Wharfedale too. Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Mission...these would be better.
what kind of amp would be a good fit for elac? specifically debut b5.2?

Gonna be listing a PMA-600NE in .the classifieds here tomorrow

what kind of amp would be a good fit for elac? specifically debut b5.2?
The ELACs should be okay with most amps, as they are quite balanced. The Denon PMA600ne is pretty warm though, so I preferred a brighter speaker to bring it closer to a balanced sound (I used Monitor Audio Bronze speakers). Hence my recommendation. A balanced speaker and Warm amp (with a capital "W") will still sound pretty warm. Comfy, but too lacking in detail or excitement for some.

Not listed to any Elac speakers but I’ve heard they are quite neutral sounding, perhaps not as exiting as Dali, Monitor Audio.

Every manufacturer has their “house sound, hence their neutral sound”

So you need to audition some amplifiers, speakers. The eq mentioned before in this tread should work nicely.

And don’t forget you might think Denon is not warm sounding at all but neutral.

Warm sound is basically rolled of treble, full midrange, bass. Good luck.

Not listed to any Elac speakers but I’ve heard they are quite neutral sounding, perhaps not as exiting as Dali, Monitor Audio.

Every manufacturer has their “house sound, hence their neutral sound”

So you need to audition some amplifiers, speakers. The eq mentioned before in this tread should work nicely.

And don’t forget you might think Denon is not warm sounding at all but neutral.

Warm sound is basically rolled of treble, full midrange, bass. Good luck.
The Denon PMA600ne is definitely warm and laid back. Previous PMA amps, like the PMA720 may have been a little bright, but this model is waaarm. Hear it for yourself. Powerful, but not particularly tight and refined bass, full midrange, rolled off treble, imaging is there, but not clearly defined, sorting of melting into each other, the soundstage is not forward, but laid back, level with the speakers or even a bit behind them. But for £300, its a great amp, if you need a DAC and Bluetooth. It has a analogue mode, which disables the digital circuits and produces a small, but not insignificant improve in the sound. However, if you want a pure analogue amp, you can get better for £300, like a Rotel A10 or a Cambridge AXA35.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom