1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you pay 350 pounds for a 7 year old LCD projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dood, Jul 26, 2002.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The asking price is 350, I may be able to frop it to 300. It seems to be working well and has just had a new bulb put in. It's a Sharp, no remote, no component in. Is the price justifiable?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    take a look for yourself
    You know if money is a problem second hand CRTs can be had for around 500quid

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short answer - no!

Basically electronic equipment has a life expectancy of seven years (that it not to say that some units will not work for ten or fifteen years ... my favourite TV is fifteen years old).

If the loss of £350 is not a problem one might take a risk but I would advise against it.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'd tend to disagree; £350/£300 isn't a lot of cash in the context of Projectors. Although its performance (even when new) won't be up to the standard of today's buys, there is little to go wrong with an LCD PJ, aside from the lamp. So, if you can check it out before you buy (try to keep it running for a couple of hours - as you would do if watching a movie) and it seems Ok, I'd go for it.

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually forgot about the lamp issue ... a replacement lamp may not be available or could be very expensive so you would need to check before buying. If the lamp is not new it may not last very long.