• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Would you get a 5 year Warrenty on a Samsung LE46A686

paul09

Standard Member
So the question is, is the warrenty worth the money?

What is the general consensus? This is all about luck at the end of the day, but also it's about assessing your risk and that comes down to the product itself and that is what I am asking you guys and gals the question.

Sony and Panasonic seem very confident in their products, can we be as confident in Samsung and indeed what about the LE46A686?

Armitage Shanks

Standard Member
So the question is, is the warrenty worth the money?

What is the general consensus? This is all about luck at the end of the day, but also it's about assessing your risk and that comes down to the product itself and that is what I am asking you guys and gals the question.

Sony and Panasonic seem very confident in their products, can we be as confident in Samsung and indeed what about the LE46A686?
I got the 46A686 from John Lewis online last week. It cost around £100 more than the cheapest online dealer,but with the 'safety net' of the 5 year warranty. I guess it just a matter of whether you feel it's worth paying a little xtra for piece of mind. Don't forget that if you have a Nationwide credit card you can register item & get an extra 12 month warranty for free.
The only time I claimed on a warranty was on a Sony 40v2000 lcd tv. Its covered by a D&G 5 year warranty and a fault occurred at just over 2 years old. So it was worth it.

Nijius Maximus

Hello mate, in my opinion it depends on three things: the cost of the TV, the cost of the warranty and the reliability of the TV.

My understanding is that the 46A686 costs quite a bit so no doubt it would cost quite a bit to get it fixed if something went wrong after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Having had to fix an old TV recently the labour, call out and parts costs can be pretty expensive. Or for a worst case scenario imagine the whole TV needs to be replaced after a year or two, that's even more money.

In terms of warranty price, sometimes they can seem so expensive that it puts you off. I don't know if you've bought the TV yet or not but obviously the best thing is to try and get a decent warranty included from the retailer such as John Lewis's 5 year warranty. Otherwise, as an example, I just got a quote from the Domestic & General website for a 4 year warranty for your TV, assuming you paid £979 for it, for £219.

Finally, as regards reliability, go to any forum on the net and on this site and you'll hear of problems for more or less every TV - it all depends on how unlucky you are! Of course most problems manifest themselves in the first year so it might be worth taking a risk with just the included 1 year warranty. Also remember that statistically only a small number of people encounter problems with electronic equipment, it's just that they're more likey to post in forums than those who have no problems hence adding to the perception of unreliability.

Having said that though ... my Samsung CRT TV's screen has had to be fixed twice, both outside of the warranty, my sister's Samsung laptop screen had to be completley replaced, my grandparents' Samsung CRT TV's screen has problems and my cousin's Samsung digital camera screen completely stopped working. Haha. Just unlucky I guess in our family, still love Samsung products though! :D

Personally I would never have bought a TV without at least a 3 year warranty (which is why I'm so happy I got a 5 year one with my 40A686 from John Lewis!) as I know how expensive it can be to get a TV fixed. So if you can get a decent deal on the warranty (not too high a percentage of your TV's cost) I'd definitely recommend you go for it! :thumbsup:

Cheers. :)

paul09

Standard Member
I've been told that the reason Panasonic were offering 5 years as standard is that their error rate was so low, and that Samsung on the other hand had a much higher error rate. Perhaps reflected in the stories so far.

Thanks for the replies! This type of posting is very likly to call to everyone who has had a problem with their tv. But is there anyone out there with a 3/4 year old tv that hasn't had a problem?

I've never needed a warranty on a TV, but saying that I am only venturing into the flat panel world now... is there a massive difference between reliability v.s CRT days...? Would now be the time to touch some wood :)

KUBBY

My nearly 4 year old Samsung 32R41 is still going strong on the wall of the person I sold it to and my 2year old 40M86 is happily performing away in my father in laws lounge.
Both are fit and well.

KH

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom