Would you expect to be asked for your daughter's hand in marriage?

Would you expect to be asked for your daughter's hand in marriage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shouldn't the daughter in question have been brought up to think for herself and who will be living with the man she is getting married to? It is her life and her choice. You can only advise her on lifes' choices you cannot make them for her.

Your Avi correlates well to your post...

I've just realised I answered Yes to this thread and I shouldn't have. I would not expect it, but I would hope for it.

echrada, I don't think nowadays it's about asking permission. Most girls, if on good terms, like to have their father give them away on their wedding day. Not many think that this is outdated, even though all it is is an old custom and chances are she has not been her father's to "give away" for some time. I see the getting the blessing thing as an extension of this - it's about giving the father his place and acknowledging that you will take care of his child.

Reminds me of a classic everybody loves Raymond episode where Ray's brother asks his fiancées parents with unexpected results :D

The problem with that of course is that Nobody Watches Raymond so we dunno whatcha talkin' about. Youtube us up ?

Mike.

The problem with that of course is that Nobody Watches Raymond so we dunno whatcha talkin' about. Youtube us up ?

Mike.

:D I often get the impression that I'm the only person in the UK who watches ELR, but anyone with a family should watch it, pure class.

I tried youtube, but so many ELR clips and the scenes in question aren't there. Needless to say, he unexpectedly gets turned down flat by the nicest parents you're likely to see on TV. He then goes back with his brother to try and get a positive answer, but it only gets worse. Sounds pants written down here, but the episode is great and the proposal at the end will beat anything that may be touted in the proposal thread.

What is it with AVF today? Is there gonna be a bridal fair thread next ;)

People are getting restless due to the forum going up and down like a yoyo. It's giving them a chance to contemplate life which we all know is a dangerous thing :devil: I must say this is a rather unexpected outcome though, I was rather expecting something more along the lines of pitchforks and a lynch mob :D

I would like to be asked, just because it's a nice traditional thing to do.

I couldn't ask mine as he sodded off when she was little. Instead I asked my then future 8 year old stepson. He also gave his mum away at our wedding & did the father-of-the-bride speech.

Awww, that's cute :thumbsup:

I voted no, as I wouldn't expect to be, however, I would like to be, and would have more respect for the prospective husbands (I have 2 daughters) if they did.
But I wouldn't expect my answer to have any significance or bearing on the outcome.

absolutely not! Her choice and nothing to do with me.Would my wife expect my son's girlfriend to to ask her hand in marriage?Of course not , besides is 2010 not the 19th century

It may have passed your notice but women only got the right to vote in 1918 :) so I'll give you not living in the 20th Century as I'm in a generous mood ;)

I didn't ask. In my case it seemed superfluous as my would be father in law had asked me a short time previously whether I was going to ever get 'round to asking.

I cant see the point , really.I mean what if I disliked her intended and he asked for her hand.What am I to say? - "Listen , do as you will but i might as well be honest and tell you I dont like you one bit.As a Chav you clearly are just not right for my daughter . Just make sure you just send her and whatever kids you intend to produce , whilst you stay at home.Things will be fine then"

I never asked and wouldn't expect to be asked. Its 2010 not 1928. Some people need to let go of there penny farthings!:D

I never asked my missus' Dad - but I don't get on with him :rolleyes:

IF we did then I would've, as I'm a traditionalist who likes to be over-fond or sentimental of memories :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I would respect if I was 'kept in the loop' with my own daughter. She's currently 4 & 1/2 so that's a long way off yet :laugh:

BUT she's going to be a Susan Boyle and stay at home forever with her mummy and daddy because all boys stink! :rotfl:

I asked, and I am pretty certain my daughters would educate them if necessary to ask me...If not I'll make his life misery for a while at least...

I don't think it has anything to do with liking or getting on, to me it is just a sign of respect....But I have to admit that I cheated as I did ask my wife first but we kept it quiet until I asked/told her dad...

I asked. He said "aren't you supposed to get a job first". I think he was joking :rolleyes: so I laughed (he has an odd sense of humour).. Then he said I should probably ask "the boss", so I did and she seemed much more pleased!

I've been "advised" to ask ;)

Get on really well with the OH's parents so not a problem with nerves or shyness when the time comes.

been with her 7 year now , so will propose sometime in the near future I reckon :)

I asked, I'm not sure about my two girls as the world will have moved on a fair bit by the time I might be in the same position, but as Flimber said, I'd like to be asked.

Me too. I'd like to be asked. I did but that was 34 years ago and times have moved on somewhat. My daughter is 26 and has been living with her "partner" for 7 years so it isn't likely to happen. Shame that. He's a nice guy and I'd like to be able to say "I'd be proud to have you as my son in law".

I get married on Saturday and I asked my wife-to-be's dad his permission. I think he was chuffed I asked him, but his answer was " Why are you asking me? It was always going to happen, when not if" :)

I suppose if it comes to my daughter, (if I have one) then I'd like to think I'd get on well enough with her partner to make him/her feel (s)he'd like to ask, rather than feel (s)he has to ask.

Last edited:
My daughter is 26 and has been living with her "partner" for 7 years so it isn't likely to happen. Shame that.
Don't count on it, I was living with my GF for 4.5 years before I proposed and I still asked :)

I cant see the point , really.
I never asked and wouldn't expect to be asked. Its 2010 not 1928. Some people need to let go of there penny farthings!:D
Whatever year it is, the joy, pride and almost tears in my future father-in-law's eyes makes it all worth while :)

I never asked and wouldn't expect to be asked. Its 2010 not 1928.

I agree with you. Asking for the daughter's hand in marriage is a relic from a bygone era when people didn't sample the goods prior to purchasing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom