1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you expect this?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DRGL, Dec 22, 2004.

1. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On a TV that retails for £1899! See attachements. Nothing magnetic near by,TV has been through many degauss cycles,old TV (same model) didn't do it-purity setup?! VERY poor IMO,but what do YOU think?

Attached Files:

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, that's not acceptable on any TV let alone one costing that much. What TV was that out of interest?

With degauss cycle it's rendered useless after it's first main switch on for several minutes. I'd say leave at least 5 minutes before trying another switch off/on again. Somehow though I can't see that being cured without help from some purity magnets.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's my infamous HQ100!! It's been left off for a while between each cycle-you can hear the degauss coil go ;) This is my FITH HQ100,the first one switched it's SCART sockets(turned out to be normal-widescreen switching mode),the second one had bad purity(de ja vu)the third one was perfect...............until Mr Mastercare did the recall and managed to have a case screw left over AMD break the on/off switch(disappeared into the case the first time i used it!!) The fourth one had a quivering screen and now this one...............makes me want to cry TBH.The house is in a right state,Christmas really has been ruined-we don't have a big house and having two of these boxed with stands lying around doesn't help.The main problem? i LOVE this TV when you get a GOOD one(like my THIRD!!) why is it so hard?? I can't walk away from it because i know how good it can be,Sony even offered a Plasma!

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad one, looks like you're going for number 6!

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked at this TV on the Sony website, I have to agree it looks awesome (and that's without seeing the picture!). It sounds huge - it wouldn't fit through my front door and weighs almost two stone more than me! It is outrageous that you have had FIVE of these, Sony should be ashamed. Offering a plasma is almost like saying "we can't guarantee you'll get a good one".

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly.It's got to the point where i feel sick every time i plug one in!! I don't want a Plasma,i don't want a refund,i want another good HQ100 Sony!!!

7. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep fighting if that's what you want (it's what you've paid for after all!). Just think, this is probably the "last generation" of big tube TVs. I can't see many more monsters like this coming out - as the big manufacturers shift their efforts to LCD and plasma and beyond. It may be your last chance to grab a quality CRT - there's got to be a good one somewhere, hasn't there? At this rate they'll probably have to build you one, as they run out of stock!

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm. Looking at your lefthand thumbnail it does indeed look like a purity error. Having said that, purity errors due to misalignment tend to me more 'generalised' and produce a 'circularish' area of impurity. The thumbnail picture gives me the impression that this is very much a localised magnetic interference problem - (the impurity seems to be right on the very edge of the raster and mainly vertical ?) I'm wondering if maybe the internal tv speakers are fitted close to edge of the screen and perhaps some internal magnetic shielding has become dislodged ? where are the speakers fitted ? Regards, yt.

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Speakers are fitted along the side BUT i can't see any magnetic shielding in the service manual pictures or when i watched the "engineer" do the recall. I think it's just bad setup as i had to send one back before for the same sort of thing.At this rate i will be going to spain to cherry pic one off the production line :(

10. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Are you 'handy' with a screwdriver ? could you confidently remove the speaker to see if it is responsible ? I'm not suggesting you do this if you are not confident or capable without causing damage to yourself or the tv. Regards, yt.

11. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah i'm handy with a screwdriver,BUT this really isn't my probblem. Sony have emailed me and are ordering another one. This time it will be checked for purity and geometry on site before leaving them. They are then organising a authorised Sony agent to deliver and set the thing up,any geometry or purity issues will then be checked again. I do wish i had just put right what the Matercare engineer did to my old perfect one but why should i risk breaking something?? I know where you are coming from though ;) I really don't think it's the speakers-otherwise all of the would do it ;)

12. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like Sony are doing the decent thing even though it is frustrating for you. Do let us know how you get on. Regards, yt

13. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    isnt it funny that we are always hearing about large expensive tube sets from Philips, Sony, Panasonic arriving with impurities/faults. I'm amazed anybody bothers with them.

Of course I realize that we never hear when somebody gets a good one, as its not in our nature, but the Plasma/LCD forums are not generally stuffed to the gunwhales with people whinging about their fortieth duff set.

I feel that as manufacturers rush to to give us these sets at knockdown prices, the quality control also takes a nosedive.

I'm a big fan of CRT (my 12 year old Tosh 28" 4:3 still beats most 50Hz sets for picture quality), but almost all big plush CRT sets have some sort of horror story/stigma attached to them.

If I had £1000+ to spend on a TV, there is no way I would consider getting a CRT, mainly cos i dont want to end up with 3 knackered behemoths floating around my flat while the manufacturer gets their act together and decides make one that works.

14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah Sony are being really good over it. "boab_is", you say you wouldn't touch CRT-if you see a decent HQ100 compare it to a Plasma/LCD of the same cost-it walks all over it (One reason i'm willing to put up with this!) Yes the manufacturers are dropping prices(and QC isn't what it used to be thanks to this) but the public are to blame for this IMO. I'd happily pay £2K on a CRT IF it was setup correctly(which is a bit hit & miss with the HQ100!) Like you say-you always hear about bad experiences ;) I'll let you all know how it goes,in the mean time i've just set this one up so at least our front room is straight for Chrsitmas :)

15. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a Sony kv 36FS76 and I am very happy with it. It took a little time to get the picture right, but worth every minute of it. This is my first set, maybe I am just lucky but I have to say I have no regrets.
    On the Plasma issue, before I purchased this set, I spent weeks... nay months deliberating over this set over Plasma. Only when I went to Sound And Vision in Bolton, and saw properly set up Plasmas was I convinced. All Plasmas were playing DVD's, no surprise there, as soon as I asked to see digital TV pictures did I realise why. The pictures could not hold a light to a good CRT, in particular the one I bought. DVD's did look great though, still not as good as CRT.
    When magazines talk about ' awsome' Plasmas they only mean compared to other Plasmas and not over all the display types. I am sure there are people with Plasma problems, there has to be, I for one am happy and have no regrets stick with it DRGL!

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Maki,don't worry i will stick with it ;) My Sony quest STARTED with the FS76U,sadly when the third one died i got upgraded to the HQ100.CRT kicks Plasma IMO ;) Just sort out the QC Sony....................please ;)