CITY:
STATE:
POST CODE:
TEL NUMBER:
I will compensate you with £50 for the running arround
and transportation and also to consider the item sold
to me.
N.B, THE CHEQUE WILL CLEAR IN YOUR BANK BEFORE THE
ITEM WILL BE RELEASE TO MY SHIPPING COMPANY..

Who the hell falls for these scams anyway?

strange people fall for them

you can try it,say uve posted it then wait for that cheque to bounce...then start sending them abusive messages!LOL

andyr300 said:
strange people fall for them

you can try it,say uve posted it then wait for that cheque to bounce...then start sending them abusive messages!LOL

The way I understand it the cheque will be from a stolen cheque book and will normally clear, so you give them the item and the money which is normally collected by a "reletive or friend" and then later on down the line the bank takes the moneyy back from your account leaving you without the item and a large chunk of money.

I know its a lot of faffing about and personally I would stay clear but as long as the funds have cleared before you releasing the speaker then I can't see where a scam is involved.

Edit: I didn't see the post above so perhaps it is a scam then.

Sounds genuine enough to me ;)
I had a similar thing happen to me last year selling a sendo mobile phone on e-bay. Apparently they wanted to give me £150 for it (to include shipping to South Africa) as their son was stuck there on a back packing trip with no way of getting in touch with them ???? All the buyer needed was my FULL bank details (including my cash card AND credit card details).:lease:
What gets me is, IF the son had no means of communication, how the heck would they know where to send the phone to ?? Plus the phone would'nt work over there anyways.
Ah well, live and learn dont you.

Graham.

id accept the cheque then hand it into the police... im sure they would find it useful ;)

I feel the need to point out (as a bank manager) that funds from a cheque are not definately cleared for 6 years from the date of banking.
The issuing bank can claim the funds back at any time within that limit if there is a technical problem with the cheque...
This means fraudulently issued or forged!
Beware...

neilmcl said:
I know its a lot of faffing about and personally I would stay clear but as long as the funds have cleared before you releasing the speaker then I can't see where a scam is involved.

Edit: I didn't see the post above so perhaps it is a scam then.

are you being serious ? or sarcastic?????????? :eek:

Baldybouncer said:
are you being serious ? or sarcastic?????????? :eek:
Can't you read or are you just being obtuse. I wasn't sure where a scam was until I read the post above mine and understood that I could be wrong, hence the edit. :rolleyes:

A money laundering attempt. We get it at the shop nearly once a week and the wording is nearly always the same. :D

Agree to it, get the cheque, bank it, wait a few days and then tell them it never arrived and negative feedback them. ;)

Silver Arrow said:
I feel the need to point out (as a bank manager) that funds from a cheque are not definately cleared for 6 years from the date of banking.
The issuing bank can claim the funds back at any time within that limit if there is a technical problem with the cheque...
This means fraudulently issued or forged!
Beware...

As a more clued-up bank manager than "Silver Arrow", I would like to point out that - technically a cheque is never paid - it can be returned unpaid indefinitely; however, this is extremely unlikely. The only 100% way of knowing if the cheque is paid is if the cheque is sent by 'special presentation'; ie the recipient bank writes to the issuing bank asking if there are funds available in the issuing account to cover the cheque.

Most banks however will let you draw funds against the cheque after 6 days, and will pay interest on it after 3 days.

woodywizz said:
As a more clued-up bank manager than "Silver Arrow", I would like to point out that - technically a cheque is never paid - it can be returned unpaid indefinitely; however, this is extremely unlikely. The only 100% way of knowing if the cheque is paid is if the cheque is sent by 'special presentation'; ie the recipient bank writes to the issuing bank asking if there are funds available in the issuing account to cover the cheque.

Most banks however will let you draw funds against the cheque after 6 days, and will pay interest on it after 3 days.

Now, now boys, pillow fighting is ok, but you will have to put your brief cases down first. And no hitting each other with wads of cash in your hands either.... I will hold that for you...:D

Thank god I hardly use cheques anymore if potentially they can be that problematic.

Mrs AutomanUK said:
Now, now boys, pillow fighting is ok, but you will have to put your brief cases down first. And no hitting each other with wads of cash in your hands either.... I will hold that for you...:D
Ha ha ha, classic! you tell 'em!

Mrs AutomanUK said:

Fear not Mrs AutomanUK, we work in the same office - Silver Arrow is a Business Manager and I am a manager on the Private/Affluent side. I will be sure to knock his bowler hat off on Monday morning, and I am sure he will reciprocate by burning my copy of the "Financial Times" - we shall then return to our offices to smoke a cigar and decline some more loans.;)

Mrs AutomanUK said:
The apple on my desk is shinier than his though:D

Lawrenzini said:
You do that these days?

No, I was being sarcastic.......sorry :rolleyes:

LOL, you bank manager types are such a laugh !.... if you happen to be having a money fight, make sure you give me a call first, so I can pop over and clean up for you. If I smile sweetly, will you give me a loan ?!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom