would you buy refurbs for acerdirect.co.uk?

johnhol

heard some very mixed reviews about Acer laptops though i'm in the market for a new one so very interested if anyone has experience with them.

Also that is just laptopsdirect.co.uk seeling refurbed acers...or the web designers did both :smashin:

potatouk

Standard Member
heard some very mixed reviews about Acer laptops though i'm in the market for a new one so very interested if anyone has experience with them.

Also that is just laptopsdirect.co.uk seeling refurbed acers...or the web designers did both :smashin:
They are the same people, I have heard some good things and bad things about them but haven't ever used them.

As for Acer laptops I second the mixed reviews, some people love them some hate them. Just look over at HUKD in Acer threads and there are pople who prase them and people who would never buy one again. I think the main issues with them are build quality and after sales service.

I have had a few Acer laptops and never had a problem whereas I have had no end of problems with many Dell laptops I have had so I don't really have a definative answer.

potatouk

Standard Member
That would be fine for basic use, the limiting factors of it are the dual core processor not core 2 duo even though they both have two cores the later is a better processor and it only has Vista Basic. Also grade A2 means there is minor cosmetic damage which could mean anything from a scratch to a bang.

Not bad for the price and it will do perfectly well for basic use.
main usage for the laptop is office work,browising and watching few hd films, my current desktop which has a dual core processor did all of these with ease.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Acer's reliability is well documented. This machine comes with 3 month's warranty. It clearly is a second-hand machine.

Good call I didn't notice it was only 3 months that makes the price a little less attractive.
Oh damn but I think my bank offers warranty so it should be covered, someone has offered me an acer timeline 4810t for £350, it is a single core processor but it should handle my basic needs, would this be a better option?

potatouk

Standard Member
Oh damn but I think my bank offers warranty so it should be covered, someone has offered me an acer timeline 4810t for £350, it is a single core processor but it should handle my basic needs, would this be a better option?
Thats a totally different machine its got a 13.3 inch screen and 8 hour battery so its a different kettle of fish to the other one. For £350 you are creeping into the price range of a new laptop with a warranty.

Thats a totally different machine its got a 13.3 inch screen and 8 hour battery so its a different kettle of fish to the other one. For £350 you are creeping into the price range of a new laptop with a warranty.
Is the acer 4810t a good laptop? And can you show me any laptops for £350

potatouk

Standard Member
Beat me to it! Its got Windows 7 with this and Dell are okay with repairs if a little difficult to get hold of at times better than Acer from what I have heard though.

As for the timeline the chassis looks nice and reviews seem good but without the specs its hard to give a definite yes its good or no its not.

Edit: there are also some Acers at Tesco at £339

the specs for the acer:Processor
Intel Centrino Core2 Solo Ultra Low Voltage SU3500
Speed
1.40 GHz (800Mhz)
L2Cache
3Mb
Chipset
Mobile Intel ® GS45 Express
RAM
3072Mb DDR3 (1x2048Mb +1 x1024Mb)

Screen
14 "HD Ready CineCrystal - LED
Graphics Controller
Intel GMA 4500MHD up to 1244Mb

HDD
250Gb
Optical Storage
Super Multi DVD Recorder Dual Layer
Network Connection
WIFI: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
embedded devices
Antenna wireless LAN, 3 USB ports, CrystalEye WebCam, HDMI
Card Reader
5 in 1
Battery
Lithium ion - 6 cell
Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista ® Home Premium
Weight
1.90 Kg

ive been looking at that dell one, whats the processor like? as its a celeron and also its a bit more expensive when i add things like a webcam

potatouk

Standard Member
the specs for the acer:Processor
Intel Centrino Core2 Solo Ultra Low Voltage SU3500
Speed
1.40 GHz (800Mhz)
L2Cache
3Mb
Chipset
Mobile Intel ® GS45 Express
RAM
3072Mb DDR3 (1x2048Mb +1 x1024Mb)

Screen
14 "HD Ready CineCrystal - LED
Graphics Controller
Intel GMA 4500MHD up to 1244Mb

HDD
250Gb
Optical Storage
Super Multi DVD Recorder Dual Layer
Network Connection
WIFI: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
embedded devices
Antenna wireless LAN, 3 USB ports, CrystalEye WebCam, HDMI
Card Reader
5 in 1
Battery
Lithium ion - 6 cell
Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista ® Home Premium
Weight
1.90 Kg
Spec looks good but it looks like its designed for low power consumption, long battery life and portability hence the single core 1.4GHz CPU.

The Dell is designed to be a good all rounder similar to the Acer you originally were asking about. You can't really compare the timeline with the other due to it being designed for a totally different use.

If you want a good all rounder with a 12 month warranty go with the Dell (or similar) if you want a portable with good battery life and no warranty go with the timeline.

Spec looks good but it looks like its designed for low power consumption, long battery life and portability hence the single core 1.4GHz CPU.

The Dell is designed to be a good all rounder similar to the Acer you originally were asking about. You can't really compare the timeline with the other due to it being designed for a totally different use.

If you want a good all rounder with a 12 month warranty go with the Dell (or similar) if you want a portable with good battery life and no warranty go with the timeline.
whats the dell processor like? as its a celeron, i thought they are the most basic processors

potatouk

Standard Member
ive been looking at that dell one, whats the processor like? as its a celeron and also its a bit more expensive when i add things like a webcam
Its a dual core celeron so it is okay generally processors go from celerons and dual core celerons at the lower end to dual cores then to core 2 duos at the higher end, they all have dual cores apart from the one mentioned first. The CPU on the Dell linked by brookheather has a celeron dual core running at 1.8Ghz so should be adequate for your needs.

Its a dual core celeron so it is okay generally processors go from celerons and dual core celerons at the lower end to dual cores then to core 2 duos at the higher end, they all have dual cores apart from the one mentioned first. The CPU on the Dell linked by brookheather has a celeron dual core running at 1.8Ghz so should be adequate for your needs.
hmm got me thinking now, my sister has a dell and there is always a problem with it but then again I will look after it, specs wise which is better the dell or the acer 5735 laptop which i showed at the beginning?

sedj

Standard Member
This being the bottom end of the market i would go with the dell it ticks all the boxes and has a decent amount of memory and large enough hard drive the only fishy point would be the processor being a celleron. There again looking at my daughters spec inspiron its not far off the clockspeed and the cache for the processor is the same this being a T4200. I see the T4300 option is £40 more, but for what its worth a saving of £40 is better probably .

You could spend the earth on a laptop and it will be defunct in 6 month time best to buy cheap and live with a few more seconds loading time :D

potatouk

Standard Member
hmm got me thinking now, my sister has a dell and there is always a problem with it but then again I will look after it, specs wise which is better the dell or the acer 5735 laptop which i showed at the beginning?
Purely just on hardware spec the Acer just has the upper hand in my opinion.

But I would get the Dell.

Have a good look around before you buy as you can get good deals from lots of places even PC World sometimes. I would check out PC World, Comet, Ebuyer, Dabs, Scan, Staples, Tesco, Asda, HP and Dell and if you dont mind refurbs there Dells outlet too, I have probably forgotten some places but those are a good place to get an idea of price and spec.

Purely just on hardware spec the Acer just has the upper hand in my opinion.

But I would get the Dell.

Have a good look around before you buy as you can get good deals from lots of places even PC World sometimes. I would check out PC World, Comet, Ebuyer, Dabs, Scan, Staples, Tesco, Asda, HP and Dell and if you dont mind refurbs there Dells outlet too, I have probably forgotten some places but those are a good place to get an idea of price and spec.
i really dont know because both brands have mixed reviews about it, either you love them or hate them. ive checked Currys and Pc world and also know someone who can get 10% staff discount but everything is already overpriced so im not really saving any money

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022