Would you buy another diesel?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Faust, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    One of the two cars we own is a diesel and getting on in years now. I have had a number of diesels over the years and love the torque they deliver even from way down the power band.

However, it appears the tide is fast turning against diesel cars with many towns and cities across the world and here in the UK looking to impose pretty heavy charges on them for entering city/town centres etc. due to pollution concerns. I notice that sales of new diesel cars have dropped dramatically over the last twelve months and residuals are going the same way.

As a private buyer would you now consider/be brave enough to make your next car purchase a diesel or would you play safe and opt for petrol?

2. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Just “bought” a big engined diesel a month ago (low mileage ex dealer demo rather than new), never drive into London, but have an old petrol that I could use if I had to.

Would still buy a brand new diesel if the deal was right.

Don’t care about residuals on the current car as it’s on pcp and will be handed back to Audi at the end of the term

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    Given that I haven't yet driven a petrol hybrid so can't comment), and on the assumption that a full EV isn't part of this question - on the basis of my experience with an old diesel, a newer diesel (rented) and a relatively small petrol, the petrol engine wouldn't be in the running here at all. If I had to go out and buy a new or recent ICE vehicle right now, it would be a diesel manual.

4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,839
    When turbo charged petrol engines come in to increase mileage the same NOx issues will be there so no wonder cure there.
    At least one manufacturer has already build such an engine.

5. Dave Brand

Dave Brand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    "When" turbocharged petrol engines come in? They're here - with some manufacturers it's almost impossible to buy a non-turbo petrol engine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. rustybin

rustybin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,720
    No chance. Just bought a new petrol C4 Grand Picasso. Don't trust the Govt on what they might do against Diesel drivers - whether it be through access restrictions or the price of diesel.

7. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    Just bought a petrol car. I have driven diesel cars for the last 15 years but I'm never going back. Too many unknowns about the future of tax etc and the noise they make is awful once you get used to petrol again.
    Also no more DPF and EGR valve issues to worry about with petrol engines.

8. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    While there are definitely unknowns for the future, imo it will affect all ICE cars rather than just focusing on diesels.
    On the other points, my current diesel is smooth and quiet (at least from where I sit) and I’ve never had a DPF problem over the last 6 years of car with DPFs fitted (I only average 5000-6000 miles a year with lots of short journeys)

9. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    Long-term I agree but in the short-term, diesels are definitely going to become more expensive to run and later diesels have more expensive repairs due to the nature of how the euro 6 standard is achieved.
    If you only do short journeys then the extra fuel efficiency of diesel goes out the window as they take a long time to warm up.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    Yes, I'm pretty much in the same camp myself. When it comes to changing the diesel I have now I don't think another will be on the radar. As you say and as I also commented, legislation is likely to force them off the road within the next decade if not sooner. It's simply to big a of a risk to take. Besides which I have now retired and not doing anywhere near the same mileage.

We have also got a small three cylinder petrol 'city car' and it's a revelation just how far technology has pushed these smaller vehicles. It's actually a much better car than our previous four cylinder petrol.

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    For that sort of mileage you would be far better off with a petrol both financially and environmentally.

12. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    Never have been a fan of diesel and wouldn't buy one unless it was a very good deal. Use to think our 520d was silky smooth and quiet until I got the M140i. I have to put the 5 in sport mode just to over come the diesel lag and even then the lack of low down grunt catches me out when I'm use to the power being instant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    If I were that interested in the environment I’d not be driving an ICE car at all.

I purchased the car with the engine I wanted, my main reason being the power available, not the fuel economy. I doubt I’d actually save much money driving petrol anyway.

14. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,435
    It's definitely looking that way, with the laughably lax emissions testing any sort of emissions-based rules imposed now will just seem unfair. My bet would be on all internal combustion cars being penalised equally.

The 520d is a lower power engine set up for efficiency, while the 140i is designed purely for sportiness. Those are likely to be the biggest factors in the difference in their behaviour rather than the fuel they burn.

15. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I have 2 diesels but would not get another as I think the gov will shortly begin an attack on them.. If/when labour get in I reckon they will hammer them..

16. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Sorry, only just seen this.

Thankfully the current car is under warranty for almost the next two and a half years, and will be going back to Audi 6 months to a year after that for something else.

As stated in my earlier post, my main reason for buying it wasn't for the fuel economy, I mainly purchased it for the power (having only done 2 fill ups so far, I'm getting 30mpg which I don't think is too bad for mainly town driving and some spirited longer runs to see family at the weekends), the reasonable fuel economy is a bonus.

17. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    30mpg is not great for a diesel. I get more than that from a 2l petrol.

I'm not attacking diesel engines by the way - I liked the ones I had at the time when they were financially beneficial but that day has passed. I agree that all ICE engines will be eventually taxed out of existence but I think that diesel will be the first to suffer.

18. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019

It is when you’ve spent the first month testing out its capabilities! ;)
    If I had an equivalent petrol I reckon I’d be getting around 18mpg with my heavy foot. I fully expect to average around 35/36mpg across the year now that I’m taking it a bit easier with longer journeys giving just over 40mpg.

We get more from my wife’s 2l petrol Focus too (just under 37mpg over a 5 year period), but this ain’t no 2l car

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,473
    Will no doubt swap the 335d for 340i or M3 in the coming years.

Gotta reduce my emissions to keep the Government happy.

20. Theseus

Theseus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    Probably not. I love my torquey, load lugging, long distance eating Passat diesel estate, but next time I'd go for a hybrid or electric car. Back in June when I changed cars there weren't any comparable non-diesel alternatives.

21. LFC4TUNE

LFC4TUNE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just bought a petrol after 20 years of diesel here in Germany, diesel times are looking shabbier day by day here. Offers on Diesel eco trade in for electro, Hybrid & Petrol is well underway.
    City banning a question of months rather than years.

22. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Maybe I'm wrong but all conversations on banning diesel cars in cities is older diesel cars most of which are not dpf equipped and dong have 'adblu' which negates massively the nitro outputs and these cars aren't the ones being targeted.
    I read an article recently by a lab that sets itself up as the 'real world' tester if emissions with all readings being done out on the road and big 3 litre Mercedes was putting out about 20% of the crap that a Nissan juke 1.5 diesel does when both cars were brand new. Go figure ?

23. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,655
    I've got this dilemma on the go right now. My aging mondeo diesel estate is ready to be changed and I only want another mondeo. Main issue I have is there is only 1 petrol estate on Autotrader, within age range, spec and budget, in the country and obviously hundreds of diesels.

Not looking forward to a greatly reduced mpg if I go for a petrol. Good news for the government though with the increased tax i'll be paying.

24. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,473
    The Government know that when we swap from diesel to petrol, we'll be using plenty more petrol, thus they'll be raking in more tax whilst at the same time, saving the environment.

25. Theseus

Theseus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    You're not wrong, it's the older diesels that London for one will be taxing. There was an article recently which showed the emissions test on an old car meeting the emissions standards but failing due to age. Surely that's not right if the goal is to pollute less.

26. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,157
    I've just taken delivery of my fourth diesel car a Golf GTD. I think I'm doing so on a green issue. Have you seen today's headlines.
    Carbon dioxide levels rise at record pace to worst in three million years
    Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist so is it just coincidence or is it the latest rush to buy poxy low powered petrol engines? Come on lads, buy a diesel and save the planet.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    Newer petrols can match diesels on mpg.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  28. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    I can't think of any petrols that can match a diesels mpg, like for like power wise.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  29. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,455
    I’ve just sold a 14 year old diesel and about to buy a nearly new one. Although this thread has me second thinking my decision!

30. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    Brave decision IMO. Lots of towns and cities drawing up plans to restrict/price diesels off the road.