• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

would you buy an iPhone from gumtree?

Professor Chaos

Prominent Member
Now, I know all about the risks of buying from gumtree especially given the long and ongoing investigation going on regarding the Lichfield scammers who are still posting ads on Gumtree.

But this question has more to do with face to face trades NOT those who want you to pay then they'll 'post your wonderfully cheap iPhone'.

So, would you?

localboy27

Prominent Member
You buy it and more than likely it'll be blocked on the way home
You have no comebacks at all with gumtree.
Unless you meet them at their home address and get a sales invoice.

Personally I'd never buy a phone on gumtree

shade_of_meta

Prominent Member
I've sold 2 on Gumtree....

The risk is definitely with the buyer, especially with a phone and neither had a sim with them so I could show them it even worked!

Good job I'm not a scammer looking an easy target!! :eek:

Professor Chaos

Prominent Member
You buy it and more than likely it'll be blocked on the way home
You have no comebacks at all with gumtree.
Unless you meet them at their home address and get a sales invoice.

Personally I'd never buy a phone on gumtree

you make a good point.
Just to 'test the waters' I enquired about a phone today I'd seen on Gumtree, clearly listed in my local area (Sheffield). I get a reply within 10 minutes saying he's in Birmingham (maybe even one of the Lichfield crew) :eek:. Alarm bells started ringing and I took it no further.

I've bought loads of phones off this forum and never had a problem. Even though EBAY favours the buyer and its easy to do a chargeback, I still prefer to buy phones on this forum simply because I've had nothing but great trades on here and most of this forum's classifieds work on trust, something Ebay (and Gumtree) is lacking.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I'm a big fan of gumtree but buying a mobile is one thing I would avoid purely because of the whole sell-then claim on insurance scams that are about.

Yes there are plenty of honest sellers but unfortunately they are swamped in the sea of all those scammers

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom