Question Would you buy a refurb?

NedK

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new TV and I notice that Richer Sounds have some of the Samsung KS7000 models in their refurb section. Would these be a bargain or is it asking for trouble? I'm imagining them being sets that people have returned for picture related issues, but maybe the majority are returned for other reasons?

I'm looking for a new TV and I notice that Richer Sounds have some of the Samsung KS7000 models in their refurb section. Would these be a bargain or is it asking for trouble? I'm imagining them being sets that people have returned for picture related issues, but maybe the majority are returned for other reasons?

Given that my requested and binned for the FA01 panel code new 2016 Samsung (UK) 55KS 7000 />>US KS 800D Costco / KS 8000 sibling in here was free for a warranty replacement of my dark 2015 Sony 55X850C .......

oh.... I had to put new LED lamps inside the panel on my 2014 new 40" 1080p Sony Bravia and the late 2013 Samsung plasma here is suddenly dark beyond the PSU DC volt rails that are fine and I suspect instead it's a spendy hard to find specific X or Y sustain board and corresponding buffer board ,

Then if you ask me Noooo......... only a new TV with an extended warranty or if you have regulatory compliant 5 year warranties there on new TV's get that instead unless you can get a 5 yr up to replacement warranty on a refurbished TV

The silver lining in this cloud is is I keep and I am repairing the 4K HDR (kind of HDR ) Sony XBR 55X850C myself and for less than $200.00 US because it was misdiagnosed by the warranty co. board changer as I thought it would be when he never took out a meter for the specific and required diag code voltage readings and moreover fried the mainboard.

The Sony 55X850C is awaiting a new salvage LED panel lamp pan to put inside the LCD panel and it's done ,in a few days or whatever day it's convenient soon and the replacement new salvage main board is working fine with fresh and current firmware ,that was $80..00.,.

Some of the the LED panel lamps were failing and overvolting the PSU > LD board section T3 transistors that light the panel lamps .

I had replace some open T3's and a few things on the LD board sect.>>>> and the mainboard, It was originally just the LD board parts and edge lit panel lamps thats all ,

I suspected all that before the back came off anyway

I knew I was geting a new TV when the hapless boffin fried the mainboard and did not realize it or at least did not say anthing and flagged the panel which is fine outside of the lamps .

I did not say anthing and the FREE new Samsung ,binned for me with the superlative 7000:1 contrast 1474 NIT Samsung direct FA01 QDOT panel is miles better than the Sony I keep and fix for another room ,

OTOH I wouldent mind fixing the Plasma with the correct board swaps or fix the boards in it if it's practical, it's a nice 1080p TV maybe for some room here The Sony 55 X850C is taking the plasma spot for the family cinema area.

I will think about it, it's outback in the storage workshop building and there is plenty of room for it .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I ended up getting an ex-display 65KS9000 from John Lewis with 5 year warranty :)

Congrats, Excellent TV with a decent warranty whats not too like ? :smashin:

I like my my free (ext. warranty ) 2016 Samsung UN 55 KS 8000 very well in the man cave here , it's miles ahead of and brighter x3+ and better than my 2015 Sony UN 55X850C I fixed here including the LED bar in the panel. That Sony TV is in another room now.

Those KS 9000 are excellent TV's . I'm also watching news on the UN 55 KS 8000 right now ,movies were good on it last night.

@preuser3 not sure if you're aware or not but:

US(North American) = UK(European) models.
KS9800 = KS9500
KS9500 = KS9000
KS9000 = KS8000
KS8000 = KS7000
KS8500 = KS7500

Going by the above , EU KS9000 = US KS9500 IOW a curved US KS 9000 if I have it right but all of them at UE 55 KS 7000 /UN 55 KS 8000 and above are more of the same TV and panel than not ouside of very minor electronic differences like better active edge dimming and sustained LED wattage in the X9XXX products and some back light NIT power differences that all mostly don't matter on half way good content or HDR ,the big product differentiation are the cabinets ,speaker and finish differences as they go up market but Samsung won't tell us that..

All this EU 55KS 7000 and up is a classic Alfred Sloan and /Harley Earl styling model tier mass production construct on these TV's creating upward product mobility and profit margins that is more styling and trim than not on the same platform like a GM B or C body.
OTOH , Samsung KU, MU and QXX product today would be the different divisions like Chevrolet ,Buick and Cadillac :rotfl:

Last edited:
Yes its model naming schemes are nothing short of terrible. Yep here the KS9000 and KS8000 are the same TV's underneath with a different panel. Same goes for the KS7000 and KS7500 here.

Yes its model naming schemes are nothing short of terrible. Yep here the KS9000 and KS8000 are the same TV's underneath with a different panel. Same goes for the KS7000 and KS7500 here.

AFAI K In the US the 55- 75 KS 8000 and 55-75 KS 9000 are the very same panels from at least Samsung and maybe AUO in some of them and likewise the curved models at least to KS 9500 here.

Is that alike on your 55-75 KS 7000 to 55-75 8000 and likewise the curved models ?.

AFAI K In the US the 55- 75 KS 8000 and 55-75 KS 9000 are the very same panels from at least Samsung and maybe AUO in some of them and likewise the curved models at least to KS 9500 here.

Is that alike on your 55-75 KS 7000 to 55-75 8000 and likewise the curved models ?.

I don't know about the panel types, I would actually guess not as the higher range models have less native motion blur. If you look at reviews on rtings.com there are differences that look to be down to using different panels. They certainly perform differently, whether that is down to the panels or not I can only guess.

I think I read at rtings or somewhere in a given screen size the UN KS8000 and UN KS 9000 were the same panel but as far as UE corresponding KS 7000 and KS 8000 I have not read anthing about that .

Maybe the UE model panel codes are under the version on the back TV label by the one connect plug like the UN models here and some owners could post the numbers and we can figure out what they are. AUO is AU 001or maybe AU004 and Samsung may be a FA01 or EA01 or something and the 60 inch may have a Sharp Display panel or not , or for all I know maybe all the UN 9000 > UE 8000 may have Samsung EA01/FA01 panels .

My UN 55 KS 800D /UN KS 8000 /EU KS 7000 has a 55" QDOT Samsung Direct FA01 ultra black moth-eye 10 bit panel I had the TV binned for with good results here , it has ~ 7000:1 contrast and can hit ~ 1474 NITS for a short time . It's its more than bright enough at SDR and HDR all around and all in all is an excellent active edge dimming LCD panel and about as defect free as these get .

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom