Would You Buy A PS2 now?

R

R^T

Was wondering this today.

Would you buy one now or wait for a PS3?

Would you wait a lil and see if they come down in price?

or would you wait for the rest of the next gen stuff?

Thanks Luke

celticdaz

R^T said:

Would you wait a lil and see if they come down in price?

or would you wait for the rest of the next gen stuff?

Thanks Luke

I'd buy an XBOX 360.

nil102

Having being very dissapointed by the Xbox 360 I have sold it on and gone back to a PS2.I doubt whether I shall buy a PS3 for some time well not at £400+ anyway.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Bloody hell, dissapointed with the 360 and gone back to the PS2.. lmao I bet that's a far more satisfying gaming experience. And to answer your question, if you were disappointed with the 360 then you'll be disappointed with the PS3 as well but pay a lot more for the privilege. Maybe you should wait for Wii

Kopite4Ever

:censored: yes id go the shop and get one now, IMO there are to many MUST HAVE/PLAY games on the playstation 2 to not own the thing. Currently im replaying god of war for the 4th time on God mode :D and mashing it down on guitar hero :D as well as winning eleven 10. Plenty of hours of fun, dare i say it its still seeing off the 360 (which i think is great FYI).

As for wait for the ps3, my opinion is i think it will be a good system BUT not at launch. From the games ive seen so far i dont think the launch lineup is strong enough to warrent me paying ~£450 but i will definately get one at some point & being forced a blu-ray player is not something i personally like.

Co-incidentally i thought the same of the 360 launch and wished id waited a few months on that as well :rolleyes:

marscay

i wouldn't hesitate grabbing another ps2 if mine broke tomorrow......i'll have a nice hdtv this week but i won't be buying a 360 as there's nothing to play on it yet.

CAN'T live without Winning Eleven :thumbsup: ......no i don't like PES nearly as much :thumbsdow

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
It's a must have console. Even it weren't for my current fave , Guitar Hero. There are so many other classics, God of War, RE4, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, We Love Katamari, and still the likes of God od War II and Okami to still grace the console.

If mine broke down, I'd buy another one in a flash.

nil102

zAndy1 said:
Bloody hell, dissapointed with the 360 and gone back to the PS2.. lmao I bet that's a far more satisfying gaming experience. And to answer your question, if you were disappointed with the 360 then you'll be disappointed with the PS3 as well but pay a lot more for the privilege. Maybe you should wait for Wii
The PS2 is a much better "GAMING" experience.The one thing the XBOX 360 has not got is any quality games.I do not intend buying a PS3 ,anyway not yet...and how is that all XBox360 owners know so much about the PS3 anyway...!!!!!how do you know it will be dissapointing....bit of the"XBOX 360 FANBOY" kicking in here...Just because the Xbox360 was first of the next gen dont mean it is going to be the best...most probably the opposite.I couldnt sell mine quick enough!!!

Mr M0by

Standard Member
Like many above, if my PS2 broke then i'd buy a replacement in a shot. Tejstar just listed a few of the classics but each of those are amongst my favourite console games ever. I'm looking forward to Okami more than any game for my 360. In fact my 360 was very underused until my new HDTV arrived. Since then i've started to play PGR3 & CoD2 again.

Ratinho

Definitely, if you play a lot of games, PS2 is a fupping ace console to own. It's hit it's ultimate peak over the last year too, and Winning Eleven 10, God of War (and it's sequel out soon), Shadow of the Colossus, and all the games previous. Next gen consoles aint gonna peak for a long time yet, and even the 360 is very much in it's infancy.

So yeah. :)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
R^T said:

Thanks Luke

Definately, if only for Guitar Hero! Superb game! :) There are also loads of other great games on the Console (PES, God of War, Tekken 5, VF4 Evo, GT4, Ico, RE4 (although Gamecube version is better), MGS2, MGS3, GTA games, Final Fantasy X etc.).

It's still a decent console to be fair (as is the Xbox) and can be picked up nice an cheap. It may come down again after the PS3 launch but not by much as there's not really much lower it can go.

travid

Distinguished Member
My PS2 blew up yesterday so ....... bought a new slimline thingy one for £80 in town.

Never going to be paying £400 plus for the PS3 so there is no real choice but to spash out on the 2. (Until 3 is more realistically priced)

Seems to me that if I was willing to wait then I cant be that interested in gaming in the first place !

Just started San Andreas again, how could I have missed so much the first time !!! :rolleyes:

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
I'm actually considering replacing my haggered original first batch PS2 (Which has never broken down since I picked it up on Launch Day) with a nice spangly Silver slimline one, but I'm not sure wether to spend the extra & get a Jap or US machine so I can play some of the games that never see the light of day over here like Shikigami No Shiro, Bleach, Naruto, Beat Mania etc.

It's a tough one but I do need to save some pennies first :(

Neil

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
triplea4uk said:
You could buy UK Silver Slim then get swap Magic then you can run them games from US/Jap

Thanks for that.

Any info on where I can find one???

Neil

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Soundwave said:
Thanks for that.

Any info on where I can find one???

Neil

I'd try ebay, there's a few here.

sidtrix

Is guitar hero for grown ups aswelll? or is it more for kids... do I need that guitar toy with it or just the controller?

Cheers

Kopite4Ever

sidtrix said:
Is guitar hero for grown ups aswelll? or is it more for kids... do I need that guitar toy with it or just the controller?

Cheers
Its mainly a grownups game, its gets well hard as you ramp up the difficulty, 90% of owners of the game will probably struggle at the top levels. You can use a controller IIRC but its not the same experience, you NEED the guitar imo.

im onto my 5th ps2 and if it broke id buy a 6th :clap: gotta love guitar hero never get bored of playing as the grim reaper :devil:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I'd buy an XBOX 360.
:rolleyes: As someone who did this I totally disagree. The Xbox 360 was my first console and was a massive disappointment. The games are PC games (which I prefer to play on my PC) and the choice is extremely limited. The 360 now does nothing but act as a media streaming device. It's been almost a year now (3 months short I suppose) - but that is almost a fifth of the consoles lifespan gone - and there are no decent games! Pretty damning statement IMHO.

The PS2 on the other hand is what I always imagined console gaming would be about - Fun games! Since getting it I have played God of War, Heros of the Pacific, Resident Evil 4, Code Veronica and Shadow of Rome. All have been highly enjoyable.

Ratinho

Unless there is something specific to 360 you want, actually own/intend to own a few consoles, or are desperate for better graphics, there's no reason to go for the 360 above the PS2 or the xbox1 tbh.

Just look at Metacritic.....60 games above 90%, 300~ above 80%.

And looking at the likes of God of War (the sequel arriving soon :cool: ) and Shadow of the Colossus, this is a console getting everything it can out of it's hardware right now. That's not going to happen for a while on any next gen console.

The first generation of buyers on any new console (and I include myself) are normally there out of 'want' rather than 'need' in a sense that the previous product is still going to be superior in terms of content and quality, solely due to the fact that it's got years of experience behind it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom