1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a plasma without seeing it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwhite8314, Apr 24, 2005.

?
  1. No, certainly not.

42 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Unlikely

24 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. probably

21 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Yes

46 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Title says it all really. There is a good reason for this poll, but I'm not able to go into details at the moment.

Question: If a web-based company decided to release a badged range of plasma/LCD panels, would you buy one without being able to 'touch and feel' the screen first? Assume that the reviews of the screens are good, and that the company generally has a good reputation for consumer goods.

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    No way its just too much money to spend on something you havent set eyes on imo.

3. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a chance, Sorry.

4. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I wouldn't.

I've found deciding what screen to buy to be enough of a task even when you can see what you're buying.

I can see no sensible reason to buying blind (unless money is no object) of course. I mean you can get a good idea from reading reviews/talking to people of what plasmas are considered the best, but even then it's still a pretty subjective thing.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The problem for the vast majority of people is that try as they might they cannot see a good demo of plasma screens fed with a source that they are likely to be watching at home, and if DVD is the source it is likely to be the ones that make any plasma look good.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Only something like a PWD7 that you know is going to be good.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    No, well, no never again!

I went down to av sales to see the Pioneer MXE-1 and ended up with a Panasonic.
    Then recently when I started to worry about the Panny not being able to handle the HD formats from Sky I bought a 435XDE, hated it and luckily as it was local and bought it from a mate, so I took it back and got a refund. Then a couple of weeks later I bought an NEC after reading the glowing reports on here and on AVS and again didn't like that, in teh end I finished up back where I started with another Panny, albeit nearly a grand worse off!

I only keep my screens for about 12 months, but it still has to be a screen I like looking at, if you are the sort of person who wants to keep a tv 2, 3 or maybe even more years definitely take 1 day out of your life to see it first.

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Mal,

Are you suggesting that I am Panasonic biased? Yes, I have the PHD7 here at home, but I have calibrated numerous Pioneers and they looked good - a couple of Fujitsus with stunning results and to my surprise some Sony's! Did a Tiny a few weeks ago - don't even ask!!

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    As said earlier "Not a chance", it'd be like buying a suit without trying it for size.

I'd have to view before buying any TV.

S.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    gut there certainly any glowing repsorts on EC XR3s from ME....when you say badged plasma do you mean own brand stuff of unkown origin ala Tiny or do you mean a shop selling Panny/Pio et that can be seeb locally via wed only outfit? if you are talking brand X stuff then not without a demo (i wont reconmend) without a comprehensive demo henc ethe "Mega Plasma TEST" http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183227 as you can see this is the sort of standard of demo i would want, (also take a pocket sized Piers with me to analyse potential issues) I know people buy "blind" from my reconmendations which is why i go too such lengths to ensure the advice i offer is accurate and comprehensive.........

11. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELL NO.

Do you have sex with a woman without looking at her face?!

Koing

12. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, actually I did. Based on 6mths of lurking in various lcd/plasma forums I decided to go for the Panny 42PHD6. Being the hi-res commercial model, none of the local retailers carried it so I ended up ordering it sight-unseen.

Bit of a risk, at the time it cost > NZ$10,000 (with all the blades and mount) but it was worth it, now I couldn't be happier.

13. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    yep, loads of times, its called marriage, :D

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mr white, you don't need a new plasma yet, you just need to lose the tuner. It's inhibiting your setup. If you sell the tuner you might not even spend any money, then you can wait till all the HD flak dies down and make the right upgrade choice.

15. lupo

lupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all
    I am sorry to say I did as well, I had been asking advice on this forum and decided to buy a Panasonic PW7B.

I am highly delighted with it :) (had it 7 weeks now)

I bought it because the consensus on this forum thought that was it was a good display to have, also I got it at a good price. £1293 including scart board and stand

This plasma cost less than my previous Panasonic tv!!

I thought it was a good value for money and a good display.

I was looking at a Pioneer, but it would have been double that price, I decided I could not justify spending that amount for the difference in quality.

16. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw - thanks for the advice ;) I know the tuner isn't ideal, but it was a necessity at my last house. Just building a new house now, so I'll have more options with the cabling, but the series 5 screen will most likely end up in the bedroom, I need a hi-def screen for the lounge!

To everyone else, thanks for your replies so far. As I've said, I really can't go into details just yet, but this is important market research for a major company, and given that most of you guys are target audience your views really do count!

Keep the votes coming....thanks.

17. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to say im in the same boat as Lupo, bought the same screen without looking it, based on massive amounts of user reviews and forum chat, its going up on thursday so i suppose time will tell if ive made a massive mistake, but everyone ive spoken to seems to think its a wicked screen.

18. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Afraid I took the plunge without seeing one in operation, although I had seen lots of others...It was based on reviews and the advice of people on this forum; it's a PW6. However, it was from Richer Sounds so I had the cushion of knowing I had 14 days to exchange.

Needless to say, my gamble paid off :smashin:

19. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, I bought the new 50" fujitsu unseen. Mad? Certainly, but it definitely worked out. :)

20. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bought a samsung after 'seeing it' in Dixons. Replaced it soon after with a PWD6 completely without demo, completely without looking at it first, and completely based on advice here on these forums.

The expertise on these forums completely over-rode my noob ability to demo. I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase.

21. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Interesting question. If Dell starts selling plasmas cheaply here as they do in the US i'm it sure they will sell loads with out people seeing them in action.

Where i live its almost impossible to see a range of different plasmas so demoing would be very difficult. If i knew precisely what model i was interested in then i think i would be prepared to travel to see it. Its taking me a long time to save enough for a plasma so i would have to spend my money wisely.

22. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Actually I hadn't properly looked at ANY plasma's before buying mine, I did what I normally do when buying something new - lots of internet/magazine research, lots of forum readings a lot of online price watching. Then take the plunge from a known dealer offering the best price with a decent returns policy.

I now have a Richer Sounds supplied PW7. Mistakes - well, I overpaid for a wall bracket and a now redundant scart terminal board, but that was due to impatience really. But I did get a fairly well priced extended warranty, and I got to go and buy it and play with it on New Years Day, so that was fun. Also I ended up getting it sprayed black, didn't realise the silver bezel would bother me so much.

Yes, I will do it again!

lisa

23. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Well, yes, if we happen to be in pitch darkness at the time. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with it, though.

As far as buying plasma TVs are concerned, yes, I would buy blind. If you'd asked me this a year or two ago I would said "of course not, don't be stupid". But since then it has become apparent that there simply isn't any point in trying to demo a plasma TV because demoing it doesn't provides any useful information.

The difference between the viewing pleasure you derive from any one screen and any other is a combination of several factors: the innate quality of the screen, the quality of the calibration etc. I am increasingly of the opinion that the difference in viewing experience that is generated by differences in calibration quality is so large that it completely eclipses all other possible factors.

There is thus no point in demoing screens. If one looks better than another it's not because it's a better screen. it's just been set up better.

If it were actually possible to compare a number of plasma screens fed from the same source and I knew that each of those screens had been individually ISF'ed in advance, then demoing would become useful. As it is, it's pointless.

24. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a techwood after seeing numerous demo's in the shop, it looked fine to me. once at home i realised it was crap!!
    so i bought a pwd7 without ever seeing one in my life and it's fookin' brilliant. so my answer is yes i'm afraid.
    although i did source my purchase after scouring the web for reviews and opinions etc, so it was more like buying in the dark with sunglasses on than being completely blind :cool:

25. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Nicolas,

To a point I agree, but however well calibrated a screen may be there are some brands out there that will never look good and with them calibration doesn't eclipse all other factors. The good ones can be made to look substantially better with ISF calibration and here I agree that calibration does eclipse all other factors. Persuading dealers on tight margins that having their demonstration screens ISF calibrated is a worthwhile expense that will lead to more sales is a struggle...but the battle is slowly being won.

26. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No I wouldn't buy a plasma without extensively demoing lots of plasmas in my budget.

27. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    And are we supposed to be able to tell, on the basis of a demonstration, whether any given screen is a bad one that's calibrated as well as it can be or a good one that's been badly calibrated? Nope. The only way we know is by being told, not by looking. :devil:

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nicolas, it's really not as hard as that. Piers would love you to believe ISF is right at the top of the priority list, and I'd agree it's pretty high, but what is most important is to get the setup right in all other respects, to get matching kit, decent interconnects, get the most out of what you have, then get it calibrated. You will need a degree of trust between yourself and the retailer, hopefully that is not as hard as it might be. Just don't buy your plasma from emily's shop!

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well i have done this..................http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183227 and very useful it was too. I wasnt in the market to buy and did for the benefit of the users of this forum, and it was linked to many others worldwide.......but that didnt stop the first 100 replies being dead against the findings, all posted by people who weren't there and hadn't done like wise.......but thats life

30. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    The response I gave was a response to the thread question, nothing that you said, what I meant was that if I have read loads of threads recommending a certain plasma for the money, eg. PWD7 then I would probably buy one if I couldn't see a decent demo.
    It seems more sensible that what a lot of people do, go to the local currys and say, thats looks nice, I have one of them.....warranty? Only £1000? No problem, stick it on the high interest credit you are going to sell me... :eek:

In fact, I was on a speed awareness course today (don't ask) and there was a lad in the car with me, and we got talking about technology and plasmas and he said: I think I will got for one of them LED TV's :confused: as the plasmas cost £1000 to get re-gassed :rotfl: :rotfl: