Would you buy a Pioneer 507XD now or wait for cheaper 1080p plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by S2KI, Dec 30, 2006.

1. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As you can see from the sig I've had a 37" 5 series Panny for 4 years now. And have to say that I have been generally very happy with the PQ. Especially as I watch 80% SD sky, 20% Xbox 360. With some DVDs thrown in.

My dilemma which I am sure many others also have is. Should I get a 507XD now, especially as the price is now around £2k.

Or wait for the 1080p panels to become more reasonably priced. I realise the true 1080p material won't be available for sometime but I want this TV to last 5+ years. And I don't want to wish I had waited.

I did consider the Sony Bravia 1080p range. However my Sharp Aquos 26" LCD really show the Xbox 360 off, but is average with SD sky. Hence I have been put off the Sony 46X2000 LCD.

Also a friends 40" w2000 Sony is good on SD and freeview but not to the standard of my Panny. And could I live with a worse day to day pic for the sake of 1080p. I don't think so.

So a few question to debate.

1. Should I buy the Pioneer 507XD now or wait?

2. Is the difference between 1080p and 1080i significant enough for me to notice? On daily viewing?

3. Does anyone have any inside info on the next generation of 1080p plasma. Release dates and price etc..

4. When I get HD sky. Will they ever broadcast at 1080p? or will their compression mean that the improved PQ will only be noticable on blu ray and hd dvd?

Thanks

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Since there are no 1080p sources right now (and wont be for a while from what ive read on here) id go for the Pio if you really want to upgrade.

3. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a planet somewhere in the depths of the universe
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'd get the pio, as leigh says no 1080p sources, dont think sky will move to 1080p anytime soon, plus i dont think you'll notice much difference unless your sitting right up against the screen.

Think about it, people have been going on about HD for a few years now, but its only recently broadcasts have started gettting more HD programs, other HD sources such as DVDs and console have only started surfacing in the past couple years or so, i think it still may take some time for proper 1080p to appear. If you can wait, then go for it, theres always that thing of lets wait for the new one, and your forever waiting as each week/month something new is out.

4. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,689
    Unconfirmed reports say that the Panasonic Full HD PZ series of Plasma should be launched overseas (outside Japan) by first Quarter of 2007. At present a 50" full HD Panny costs between 3600 - 4700 USD.

5. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that it is also a matter of how long the wait is.

Things seem to be moving along more quickly now. Since all the new LCDs have 1080p. And the expensive(£5k) 5000ex pioneer is already out.

How long before we see 1080p 50" plasma for around £2k mark. If it is 6-12 months. Well I can wait. Especially as the current plasma has no place to go.