Would you buy a Nikon D70 from Thailand?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Triggaaar, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    About to go to Thailand

Any idea if I could get a D70 + 18-70 lens there for less than the £850 ish in duty free?

Thanks

2. Tik

Tik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get it from amazon for £100 less than that

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Blimey - things change in a few months - thanks

Amazon.co.uk says £814.74 at the moment, with a link to digifocus for £749.99
    Anyone tried them?

4. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bought mine in May from Singapore for £680 inc same lens. Thailand may even be cheaper as D70 is made there.

Be really careful when they quote price as had nightmare with many dealers changing price halfway through!! Ask for an all in price inc` tax, credit card fees, state you don`t want memory cards, filters or anything else right from word go and watch their
    reaction change!!

Thailand (bangkock anyway) can be very dodgy where money`s concerned and do NOT buy any jewellery on any account despite all the fantastic savings touted by "friends" you will "bump" into around the temples, tourist places etc.. they are all linked to the local mafia and stick to proper taxis, the poot poots stink and will also take you to mafia shops as well. (D70`s fine by the way !!)

5. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Guys,

Try Dabs.com - £670 quid including the 28-80 lens. .Currently 12 in stock although I'm just about to buy one...

£727 for the 18-70 lens although no current stock.

Digibit

6. Tik

Tik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digifocus are a highly rated Zshop - bought from them many times - thinking of getting a D70 myself.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Cheers guys

In Thailand, with my D70 (excellent, although battery indicater could be better) - bought in duty free on the way over for 780 inc 512 card and case (card normally 50 ish, case 15).

Thanks for your help

8. aaronroberts

aaronroberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    the purpose of this thread wasn't required anyway, as I bought the D70 on the way - so I'll join in the ranting...

all very true - the poot poot/tut tut things are fun for going A to B, as long as you know their con. Let one take us to a few temples. Whilst at one, we 'bumped into' a very helpful chap who worked for the government (yeah right - he had studied in the uk and said he had to work at the temple for tourism once a week). He was very helpful re facts of the temple, and before we left, thought he'd tell us about the best tailors in Bangkok (unusual thing to do). Anyway, by amazing coinsidence, our tut tut driver then took us to this tailor!

Simillar thing then happened while we were talking to another tut tut driver. While we were chatting, a lady who worked for the adjacent grand palace started recommending places to go.

Quite funny when you know their game, but very bad for everyone else. Some lovely parts to the country though. As my full 512MB of compact flash will testify.

10. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well done Triggaar and good deal on a great camera.

Glad you didn`t get ripped off at the temples!! I think it`s pretty disgusting that you are not warned of these cons at the airlines/hotels/british embassy etc. Having talked to a few people realise it is very wide spread and a simple tip off would save a hell of a lot of people.

Anyway well done and wanna buy a diamond ring????

11. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Good point, they should.

Stayed in a decent hotel in Chiang Mai, and tried to get a tut tut to the boxing, but the doorman kept insisting we got a taxi. At the time I assumed he was getting a cut from the taxi drivers, but having read the comments above, and then witnessed their scam, I see the hotel was looking after us. Why they couldn't just tell us the problem, I don't know. I'd still use tut tuts all the time if I went back, I'd just pay the fair for the journey, rather than get a cheap ride to places they recommend.

12. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    It is very wide spread; every guide book I read about the place mentioned it. It was almost amusing being approached by people and trying to guess which scam they'd try next.

13. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    At the risk of turning this into a travel thread; Thailand is a fantastic place to visit. Sure there are people who are willing to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists as there are in many other countries (personally I have the Middle East much worse). I have had 24 holidays in Thailand and managed to avoid the rip offs by remembering the old maxim about things being too good to be true. Also, if those “gems” are worth that much why am I being offered them by a street urchin?

Anyway – back to the main topic. The best place for all sorts of electronic gadgets is Panthip Plaza (also spelt Pantip). This web site gives some details of prices http://www.pantipprice.com/ . There are about 70 Thai Baht to the pound. VAT (providing you get a receipt) can be reclaimed when you leave the country. Having said that if there is no receipt then you haven’t paid the VAT…

Can’t wait until I get back there in January :)

14. jardinery

jardinery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my d70 but with 28-80 lens from best cameras for £634

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Only £619.29 (inc 28-80 lens) fromEMPIRE DIRECT , although stock status says 'Due Soon'

16. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a nikon D70 in thailand, but when I got it into the bedroom it turned out to be a canon eos300d in drag. You have to watch in these places.