Would you be more willing to watch a 3D film if it was glasses-free?

Would you be more willing to watch a 3D film if it was glasses-free?

• Total voters

FilmFanatic1000

Novice Member
Reaction score
3D films rarely interest me these days, it tends to darken the screen and I just don't feel it's worth the upcharge. The main reason I watch 3D films these days is if the 2D showing is sold out - and I think many people do the same thing, at my local cinema it's always the 2D showings that are in the bigger screens and it's always the 2D showings that are sold out. You also see a distinct difference between when the 2D showing is sold out and how many people go to the 3D showing... If it's a quiet 2D showing then the 3D showing is dead. If it's a busy 2D showing then 3D tends to get a bit busier (but not full).

My question is: would you be willing to go to the cinema and watch a 3D film if it didn't require you to wear glasses AND it retained the same brightness that you're used to with a 2D film?

Scientists are already working on the technology (as seen here:Glasses-Free 3D Cinema Technology Takes A Step Closer To Reality) but obviously it's still a long way off. Will 3D even be relevant by the time it's done though?

I've rarely found 3d tech well enough implemented that it doesn't cause issues with my eyes, if they got past that and the glasses requirement then perhaps but still wouldn't be my first port of call for what I'm looking for in a film

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom