1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you back the Fuel protesters this time?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stealther, Sep 8, 2005.

?
  1. I did before I will again

57 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. I did before I wont this time

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. I did not last time but I will this time.

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. I did not last time and I will not this time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The fuel protesters are threatening to repeat the September 2000 fuel protests again.

Just interested in peoples thoughts?

I supported it last time and I will support it this time, motorists are taxed disproportionately high. :)

I am off on holiday at the end of next week and were hiring a car and touring around the south coast. So I may have my holiday severely impacted by any protests, annoyed as I may be I will still support them.

(I know the recent increases has nothing to do with tax but tax is still to high :lesson: )

I had the misfortune to be working at a Sainsbury’s petrol station last time this happened the general public really got on my wick with there selfish attitude to the crisis. :mad: Trying to fill containers with no lids etc :eek:

2. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the typical fuel price there in the UK? In my area it's around $3.00.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't make a blind bit of difference, just as this government have ignored every protest against them (War, Fox Hunting, etc.), but we still need to try and get our point across.

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    98.9 is about as cheap as we can get a litre of diesel in Newbury.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    When I first started driving 14 years ago, it was aroud the 40p per litre mark. :eek:

7. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I figured that out to be around $7.30 a gallon! :eek:

8. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    $3.00 for a US gallon = £0.43 a UK litre = £1.96 a uk gallon :mad: :thumbsdow

9. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that's the most expensive we ever had it.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's about right. Rather than the UK protesting about our petrol prices I think it would be better for the world if we protested to change the pricing in the remainder of the world to come into line with us. :)

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    As a proprtion of income petrol is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago as is motoring in general . No I dont support this action. If the Government were to reduce fuel duty it would have to raise taxes elsewhere so the answer is "use your cars less" :lesson:

12. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's another way of looking at it. :) I wouldn't bet on it though. :)

I like that this is happening and I hope the prices double again. That will bring government and industry ever closer to developing alternative fuel sources.

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,227
    True- to an extent, but the VAT the treasury makes has increased as a direct windfall. Remember that this is the only substance where you pay duty and then pay tax on the tax you have already paid. I don't think that much will change but it might be prudent for the government to try and cap their excess income. Remember, it isn't the rich that suffer- anyone who can blow £50K on a Range Rover won't be too bothered by fuel increases as yet. It does affect the "working class" of who you profess to be a member.

14. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Yeah thats about right we live in rip off britain :(

15. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Er - actually true - but only because they Mr Brown messed up his forcasts and he would have had to put up our personal taxes to make up the shortfall. The increase in petrol prices are something of an unexpected windfall for him !!

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Try telling that to people who rely on transport for a living (road hauliers, taxi drivers, the self employed). That is a really foolish statement.

Put more tax on alcohol. Drinking alcohol is optional, travel isn't. It would also be a deterrent to young people against getting bladdered every weekend.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    People use their cars far too often - Fact!Too many single occupants too mann pointless journeys and children should be travelling to school by bus :lesson: . I do have some sympathy for commercial drivers , I rely on a truck for my business as well but as I say things were tougher 20 years ago.

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    As a proportion of income petrol is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago as is motoring in general . No I dont support this action. If the Government were to reduce fuel duty it would have to raise taxes elsewhere so the answer is "use your cars less" :lesson:

Yes, that is an exact copy of la gran siete's earlier post. It says exactly what I believe, so thanks, lgs. Motoring, generally, is much cheaper than it was 20 or 30 years ago, in real terms. Too cheap, in fact. We do far too much of it.

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem is that petrol companies are profiteering over the rising crude oil price. The price of crude should not have an immediate effect of the price of fuel at the pumps, because it takes weeks for crude oil to work its way through the refinery system after it has been purchased. The Chancellor of the Exchequer is laughing all the way to the bank, because the VAT portion of the tax is related to the selling price.

If the government won't step in to stop blatent profiteering by the fuel companies, then the people of the country will - and I will support them !

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    In recent years I have swapped my car from a BMW M3 (£120-£150 per week in fuel) To a Audi A4 1.9TDI (£20-£40 per week in fuel).

I got feed up paying a small fortune to run my car.

I was on my hols in the US 4-5 years ago and it only cost me $18 to fill up a 5.0L car. I thought they had got it wrong.

When are they going to bring out the car that runs on water. I know the oil industry will prevent this for as long as possible.

21. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Well I survive without a car for most of the year and whilest LGS is right people use there cars far to often. I used to be a culprit I would drive round to the shops 5 minutes walk away :eek: There are people I work with who live in the same area and yet do not car share. Thats there choice. :)
    I currently spend £33 a month on a travel pass. If someone was to give me a car I reckon that with MOT, tax, insurance, parking and petrol I would be spending at least £180 a month thats without any upkeep of the car probably more. Yet I would still have one. Cars are no longer a luxury they are a way of life and there are times when I get deeply frustrated that we can not afford to buy one. But as soon as I can afford a decent one Ill be back in the higher tax paying club and penalised by the government for working and saving hard and earning the ownership of a car! :mad:

22. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    It's all very nice to tell people to use their car less but there are people who HAVE TO use their car to get to work. I wish I didn't have to drive for 1 hour each way to get to work but I don't have the choice, and as if to make it feel better I pay stupid tax on the fuel !

23. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

only if we let it......this government has the idea that it can spend its way out of trouble. We do need to challenge it. I fully support the fuel protests.

24. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Only a few months ago the Govmt/Politbureau was proposing to drop fuel tax altogether and go to toll roads. This is as stupid a policy as every dreamed and will wipe out the tourist trade in the west country and lakes at a stroke BUT they were never honest about the REAL reason:nono: . It is because they can see a time very soon when a large %age of cars will be LPG converted and therefore reducing the tax levied on Fuel to below the mark to run the roads.:eek:

What ever happen to proberty in office and honesty/integrity in government - these lying spinnig sharks will have to go!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Not Cheers!!!

25. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

26. sidig

sidig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sitting back and taking a deep breath in an effort to remain calm, my family struggled thru the last fuel blockades just barely, as usual a certain group of the population, in this case the blockaders feels that it is entitled to trample on my rights, to prove a point, you don't. However much I may hate paying the high prices of a lot of things, the 'choice' is mine and no one else's. In this house the main breadwinner is a nurse, during the last blockade we couldn't get petrol to fill up, even tho' I tried my best explaining that as a nurse surely she would be classed as essential services and therefore would get priority, nope. She therefore had to walk from home to work a round trip of thirty miles, oh and because she gets paid not terribly well we couldn't afford the inflated taxi fares. So if you want to protest then why not boycott. Then at least those who's lives depend on the thousands of nurses and the myriads of other emergency/care givers who most people are only vaguely aware, aren't put at risk because the carers can't get to work. Sorry if I am coming across as a bit strong, but the last time was traumatic, as a good nurse my wife cares deeply about her patient's, but this means that when incidents like the blockade happens, worry and stress about her ability to provide the care skyrockets, she would've walked as far as needed last time.
    Sid

27. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If I had a choice, I would use public transport and although my journey to work can be 20 minutes at best, public transport and walking would take an hour and a half. That's 2 h 20 minutes a day I would rather be spending with my wife and child rather sitting on a bus. And this is in London where you're supposed to be able to anywhere quickly !

If public transport can get me to work within 45 minutes, I will take that option. But it can't.

I understand that petrol prices are going up due to the events around the world, but petrol prices are going up exponentially with regards to inflation.

Why is it that Diesel is at the same price as Unleaded ? What's happened there ?

The sooner car manufacturers bring out cars that run on oxygen and replenishes the atmosphere the better. Oh and able to do 0-60 in 5 seconds :)

28. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that my journey to work so far has been pretty pointless but that is only due to the jumped-up tw*t I have to work with :(

Seriously though, car is the only way to get here. Train would involve travelling up one branch and back down another and cost more than running a car. 16 miles is too far to cycle in any weather, especially with no shower at the work end. Buses don't exist and I can't ride a horse.

Not feeling to guilty because I always return better than 50mpg and drive so slow I force other drivers to be economical too.

29. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Tough. We should be moving haulage off the roads not encouraging it.

Those self motivated slobs can kiss my ****. If it was ordinary motorists rather than big, filthy rich hauliers, and taxi drivers (bloody leeches!) behind this I might have some sympathy.

I agree with Seite.

30. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Lets face it Joe public are not going to hold up traffic with a ford focus people will just go round. :D Nor is Joe Public going to boycott the pumps. We want our cars. We need our cars. We love our cars!

As I rarely get to drive anymore I tend to forget how frustrating it is stuck behind a lorry. :) I used to curse them when they overtook on motorways and slowed everyone else down. Come to think of it Iam way more chill then I used to be, perhaps its down to not driving. I ll let you know after ive spent a week in the car with the mrs ;)