Would this work

JRazzell

Standard Member
Reaction score
i have been given a chance to buy a Ibiza sound Sub15a DJ Speakers, Disco Lights, PA Systems, Lighting & Effects, DJ Equipment, DJ Kits - Ibiza SUB15A 15 Inch 800W Active Bass Bin Speaker
for cheap and i was wondering if i could use it with my Yamaha As-500 A-S500 - Integrated Amplifiers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland
if i connected it by using a RCA from the subwoofer out on the back of my amp to the line in on the back of the subwoofer
would this work as i am only going to use it till i have enough money to buy a much better sub.

Thanks

Yes it will work ... up to a point.

It depends on where you are using them.

In your bedroom or lounge, this will be a demolition system. In a small club or pub, it will probably be fine. In a large hall or club, we are starting to reach the limits of the equipment.

To some extent, it does depend on the speakers and Sub. For best results, the speakers must be 6 ohm or 8 ohms; 4 ohms speakers will work in some situations, but are pushing it in others. The Subwoofer MUST BE ACTIVE, that is, the Subwoofer must have its own internal amp. If it does, you are fine. It it is a passive, no-amp, Subwoofer, that is not likely to work well.

Steve/bluewizard

Ok I'm going to be using it in a medium sized bedroom on a low level so would it be worth it or would it just be to powerful on even minimum level

There should be no problem with that equipment functioning in that room. Though your parents, roommate, and neighbors might not agree.

However, while you get great power handling ability and loudness with PA style speaker, you do not get the best sound quality.

If you want a blend of power handling, loudness AND Quality consider these very low cost DJ Speakers -

Wharfedale XARUS5000-BLACK from Hughes Direct

These speaker were originally £450/pr and are now discontinued. They are made to be DJ speakers, and can handle 250w and have response down to 30hz. They are going to sound immensely better than PA speakers. I don't think you will need a Sub, but that is up to you. I would start without a Sub, see how it sounds after you have 100 hours on the speakers, then make the decision on the Sub at that time.

As far as amps, the Yamaha AS500 (85w/ch) is a very nice amp with plenty of power for your needs, and it is available at an excellent price.

The Yamaha Amp and the speakers above who put a demolition capable system into your room for well under £500.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom