Would this work??? Projector + Digital set top box???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rmsdev, Nov 2, 2002.

1. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Sorry for these stupid questions ... I know nothing about Projectors...
    I am considering getting a projector (Panasonc PT AE...)...
    Now if I am right....
    A projector does not have a tuner of its own....
    1 ... so if I connect a digital set top box to the projector ... will I be able to get TV programes?
    2 ... how to connect above via scart? Does the projector have a scart input?
    3... would there be another scart/s-video input for a dvd?

Regards

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yes

This is something that any self respecting dealer should be able to help you with. If they're going to make money on the sale of a projector then they should also be able to advise you on connections. But seeing as you asked...

...this and most other projectors don't use SCARTs. The sockets are generally phono's (the small silver or gold round jobs with a hole in the centre), S-Video (round black socket with 4 tiny holes and one slightly larger rectangular hole) and a VGA connector (like a flattened out capital D lying on its side, has 15 pin sized holes arranged in three rows of 5).

RGB and Component (via the VGA connector or 3xphonos) gives the highest picture quality. S-Video is close but is limited to about 30 ft maximum cable run between components. Lowest in the quality chain is Composite, this is what comes out of your VCR and would connect to the projector via a single phono socket which is usually coloured yellow.

How to wire up any system depends on the sockets available, the distances between bits of equipment, and which of your sources you consider most important.

This is really a discussion you should have with the dealer, but if you can tell us all bits of kit you plan to hook up, the rough cable lengths involved, and which are going to be watched most often then I'm sure we can come up with a few suggestions.

Regards

3. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info

still trying to work out what I shoulld get for my new home cinema set up...

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    the simplest thing you can do is use a VCR with composite out into the projector and use the VCRs tuner to watch TV on the projector.

As you mention a set top box, I'll assume you either have digital TV or are considering it.

So the next step is connecting that. Simplest but lowest quality is to set the box to output composite video (I think they all can do that), then you have a SCART box on the back with three phono connections (like you get with a video camera - they are about £3 from maplins). Then connect to your projector by composite like the VCR.

If you want quality, then the next best is S-video. Hardly any STBs output this, so you'd need a converter box which you can buy from a few places (letropacks, keene, rgbtosvideo.com) This will add another £50-75 to the cost but improve the picture a lot.

Ultimate quality is to output VGA to the projector. Two ways are popular. Use a descaler box like the ProV (do a search on this). This has a tuner built in and outputs VGA. But it costs around £150. The other option is to go through a PC, but that requires a graphics card with video in facilities, then you can use software to scale it and output via the VGA port.

So there are your options. I think I've covered them all. Its really a big sliding scale, and the first decision is where to start. Good luck, and have fun!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Another way is the RGB to VGA smart cable from www.keene.co.uk With scart cables between your DVD and STB I think this will give you a picture from either, as the RGB signal will link through scart. I'm just thinking about this myself, any opinions on this, anyone got one?

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    I haven't seen that cable, do you have a direct link, or which categorie its under?

You need to check that it boosts the VGA to 31KHz, instead of the 15 that normal TVs use. Otherwise the projector won't be able to lock onto the signal. So I'm a little skeptical, but also curious, becasue that'd simplify connecting my STB to projector a lot.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Richard, it's under leads and cables/sterling gold home cinema, called the synchblaster. All electronics are stuffed inside the scart plug. It synchs at 15.625khz, my PJ will accept this the manual says. Am I right then in recalling the AE100 needs 31khz or something? If so, then it's not going to work for many people here! I'll speak to the tech. guys at keene and see what they say about mine with the manual in front of me.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Spoke to Keene, and ordered a cable. I'll let you know if it works!