Would this work? Multi Room audio for new build - getting confused!

Welsh Whirlwind

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Let's start with the TLDR version: Can I use echo dots (hard-wired via 3.5mm to RCA) directly into the input channels of this dayton audio power-amp to setup zoned, whole-home audio? Would this work? Or do I need to add anything else into the mix?

Dayton MA1260a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier - Wall of Sound

I currently have a Denon avrx4200 and use this for a 5.1 setup and Zone 2 stereo ceiling speaker (x2 polk audio RC80i) setup using an echo dot to control them, it works, very well. I'll be setting up an atmos cinema room so will be using the amp to do this in my new place.

However, I'd like to then build 6 other stereo zones using 6 echo dots as the input source for each stereo channel. I thought I had it all worked out with the above, but then I started hearing about pre-amps and DACs etc, and frankly, I'm beginning to get confused by what I need...

• Would I be right to assume that a pre-amp is basically a device that controls your input streams that go into the power amp, in my case the proposed dayton power amp above? If so, as I only need a single echo dot input, do I actually need one? The dayton audio power amp has RCA inputs for each channel so I'm assuming not? Or am I missing something here?

• DAC: Do I need to add one before inputting into the power amp from an echo dot (3rd gen)? I take it that they have some sort of DAC (albeit not audio-file quality) built in? I'm just looking for a solution suitable for casual ceiling speaker listening using polk audio RC80is.

Last edited:
The amp allows for individual inputs (so an echo dot into each one) or bussed outputs (one echo to play out of all channels) - better info here

read the user manual to help understand its functionality

The echo dot only has an analogue output so a DAC is of no use to you. The DAC is in the echo dot.

The amp allows for individual inputs (so an echo dot into each one) or bussed outputs (one echo to play out of all channels) - better info here

read the user manual to help understand its functionality

The echo dot only has an analogue output so a DAC is of no use to you. The DAC is in the echo dot.
Great, thanks for the response! So, as mentioned above, I take it that I don't need a pre-amp of any sort either? As these are just items that control source inputs going into the power amp, whereas the Dayton already has direct inputs? Or do pre-amps also improve audio quality or something?

Many thanks again for the help 👍🏻

You don't need a pre-amp as the amp has adjustable input controls - a pre-amp. Adding a pre-amp will add an unnecessary device and they end up adding their own degradation on the sound - more devices in the chain adds more degradation.

'Each of the twelve channels has its own dedicated input and independent level adjustment to provide further flexibility'

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom