Would this receiver be a good choice with these speakers ? first time buyer.

Coke

Novice Member
I have a smallish living room. Also don't want to spend more then I really have too, but I want a decent/solid/good Receiver though that matches the quality of the speakers. I don't see my self ever going beyond 5.1 heck I might just use 3.1 who knows. Feel free to suggest something else. Just need something that's easy to use. By the way I don't have any type of disc player and not planning to buy one either. I stream all my content.

Klipsch R-620F Floorstanding Speaker (pair)
Klipsch R-100SW 10" Subwoofer
Klipsch R-52C Center Channel

R-41M bookshelf speakers (pair) for rear surround in the future maybe (can these speakers even be used in the rear for surround ? )

Denon AVR-S960H ($700) Overkill right
Denon AVR-S750H ($550) Still Overkill
Denon AVR-S650H ($400) I'm thinking this should be perfect.

Questions:

By the way would getting just the Floorstanding Speakers and not the subwoofer provide enough bass by the way ?

So if I don't have a disc player, do I hook up the receiver directly to the TV using a HDMI or a Optical cable ? Also if you don't mind explaining why one over the other please. Also if I get the new Xbox console would this change affect on how I hook up my receiver to the TV ?

Also I would like to stream music to the receiver with my phone, I'm assuming and decent receiver can do this.

Thank you very much.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

I'll cover your question about needing a sub first. Yes you do need one. The .1 in a 5.1 soundtrack is the LFE effects channel and you would miss a lot of atmospheric deep bass effects in films and TV. The second reason you need one is that it will take the frequencies below the set crossover and this will relieve a lot of the power drain on the AV amp.

Now overkill. No such thing. It's getting the right amp for the speakers and more importantly the room that those speakers are going to be in. Klipsch speakers are very easy to drive but the Denons you have looked at are their entry level models and a lot will depend on the size of your room. Put an amp in a room that is large that doesn't have enough power then the amp will clip and distort.

A diagram of your room with dimensions and the position of screen, seating area and speaker location would be a great help.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Consider refurbished Denon X1600H, it has lot more features, tiny bump in power, better room correction version etc. over the S650 and S750. It will also cost less than S750 and you get 3year warranty (1+2y extended) so one year extra over the cheaper S range. It´s 2019 model with Atmos support as you never know with this hobby, better to have bit more options for future.

Ditch the R-100SW and save up for something better if possible. No need to buy matching subwoofer to speakers. If you look something compact then the RSL is likely your best bet at 399$. Dig around with google and you see why it`s one of the most popular compact sub for low cost. The one you are looking is built from cheapest materials, light weight cabinet with cheap chinese amp with known issues. Spend more and you get better performing woofer with better bass quality and product that should last much longer. Available at August so you can save up.

Coke

Novice Member
1. So when I hook up the Receiver to the TV I need to use the eARC on the back of TV to (white labeled ARC/ eARC HDMI out) on the back of the Receiver right ?

2. So I'm seeing people are saying that (Klipsch R-100SW 10" Subwoofer) isn't all that great and should look at something else like the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. I just want something smallish/compact cause my living room isn't big. If I decide to get the RSL should I get it at their main website ? Maybe I could get a couple of other suggestions ? I don't mind spending more to get good but compact.

3. So I want to get speakers for a full 5.1 experience. Are these the ones I need to get behind the couch ? Their marked as bookshelf speakers but the description does say ("Designed as main speakers for a compact living space or surround sound to support a Reference speaker system ") They just seem a little big for satellite speakers cause isn't the speakers behind the couch for a 5.1 setup called satellites speakers ?

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
1. So when I hook up the Receiver to the TV I need to use the eARC on the back of TV to (white labeled ARC/ eARC HDMI out) on the back of the Receiver right ?

2. So I'm seeing people are saying that (Klipsch R-100SW 10" Subwoofer) isn't all that great and should look at something else like the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. I just want something smallish/compact cause my living room isn't big. If I decide to get the RSL should I get it at their main website ? Maybe I could get a couple of other suggestions ? I don't mind spending more to get good but compact.

3. So I want to get speakers for a full 5.1 experience. Are these the ones I need to get behind the couch ? Their marked as bookshelf speakers but the description does say ("Designed as main speakers for a compact living space or surround sound to support a Reference speaker system ") They just seem a little big for satellite speakers cause isn't the speakers behind the couch for a 5.1 setup called satellites speakers ?

Yes.

RSL is good choice, but not available yet. Another one to look for would be the sealed SVS SB1000 Pro. It´s very compact but with 12" driver & 300w amp and phone app control. Check the bills of rights you don´t see that type of support from other brands. They have great customer service with daily chat, free home trial period 45days with free shipping/return, long 5year amp warranty etc. There is quite many reviews if you google. SVS is probably one of the most known subwoofer manufacturer so quite safe choice.

Ideally you would place the surround channels to side wall sides of listeners. If that isn´t possible then rear wall, but you could consider the wall mounted bipole model and place them higher let´s say 1-2feet from seated ear height.
Amazon product
Like this:

bipoles.jpg
4tm8vn2azb2g.gif

With the R-41M speakers they would go ideally like this with speaker stands.

y8bb7lcpg7g2.jpg

Coke

Novice Member
I play music but I do watch a lot movies too. I live in a house and my living room is about 17x17 with vaulted ceilings. I'm thinking probably the PB-1000 or the Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX which should I choose ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I play music but I do watch a lot movies too. I live in a house and my living room is about 17x17 with vaulted ceilings. I'm thinking probably the PB-1000 or the Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX which should I choose ?

PB1000 Pro (not the old model!) / PB & PC2000 Pro or Monoprice 12 THX (the 10 model only if it´s way cheaper than PB1000 Pro!) if size isn´t issue and you are looking more impact for action/scifi/horror movies. All these models can run in sealed mode too, although for blockbuster movies i dare say you will prefer port open mode. For music it can be different. As you live in detached house and the room is not really small i wouldn`t skimp on the sub. You can turn larger sub down, but you can´t get more from the smaller and i can almost promise the hunger will grow so buy the best you can afford.

Coke

Novice Member
It's just too much money. It has to be around $500 option either SB-1000 Pro or PB-1000 Pro or the Monoprice THX 10. Which one ?

The sub woofer will be paired with Klipsch R-51M Bookshelf Speaker for the front of the room.
I'm the Klipsch R-41M speakers behind the couch for the surround.
Klipsch R-52C for Center Channel

Hopefully everything matches well.

I know there are better speakers but these are good decent speakers and the price is good. I've been told not to cheap out the sub that's why I'm willing to spend around $500 otherwise I would have just got one for around $200.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It's just too much money. It has to be around $500 option either SB-1000 Pro or PB-1000 Pro or the Monoprice THX 10. Which one ?

The sub woofer will be paired with Klipsch R-51M Bookshelf Speaker for the front of the room.
I'm the Klipsch R-41M speakers behind the couch for the surround.
Klipsch R-52C for Center Channel

Hopefully everything matches well.

I know there are better speakers but these are good decent speakers and the price is good. I've been told not to cheap out the sub that's why I'm willing to spend around $500 otherwise I would have just got one for around $200.
PB1000 Pro without doubt! Larger cab and driver, plus the support is superb in US where you live!

Hope you can opt for the Denon X1600H model i linked cause it has better Audussey version which actually does something for your subwoofer in room response flattening the peaks meaning it should sound better. All in all it looks much better option than those S serie models with longer warranty for peace of mind!

In that price group you have couple choices. The Klipsches you are looking have fairly bright sound which you either like or it´s too harsh so i would advice you to listen them at your local Best Buy or similar store as they should be available in many stores for demo. The second very popular option would be the Polk Signature range. Smoother sound and better build quality what is reported. I can´t say which you would like better though.

S15 for front main channels although i would opt for larger S20 if you can afford them cause your room is not small. S10 for surround channels. S30 for center channel.

Amazon productAmazon product
Amazon productAmazon product
Amazon product
Amazon.com: Polk Audio Signature Series S30 Center Channel Speaker (2 Drivers) | Surround Sound | Power Port Technology | Detachable Magnetic Grille,Black: Home Audio & Theater

PS. If you opt for the Klipsches think about the wall mounted bipole speakers if you feel they work better in your room. They shouldn´t be mounted too close to corners though.

Coke

Novice Member
Thanks that's some stuff to look at, so you're saying that the the Klipsches has a more of a bright sound then the Polk signature has more of a normal/neutral sound ? I did some research real quick I guess there's neutral bright and warm I'm not really that interested in bright or warm I'd wanted to have more of a standard sound so I'm really happy you brought this subject up cuz I didn't know what that meant before.

So my starting to lean towards Polk signature series speakers with the. pb-1000 subwoofer.

Do you still suggest X1600H over the AVR-S960H ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks that's some stuff to look at, so you're saying that the the Klipsches has a more of a bright sound then the Polk signature has more of a normal/neutral sound ? I did some research real quick I guess there's neutral bright and warm I'm not really that interested in bright or warm I'd wanted to have more of a standard sound so I'm really happy you brought this subject up cuz I didn't know what that meant before.

So my starting to lean towards Polk signature series speakers with the. pb-1000 subwoofer.

Do you still suggest X1600H over the AVR-S960H ?

Well you can order both front speakers from Amazon and listen at home, then make the decision and return the loser. This way you will know which brands sound you prefer more and then order the rest of speakers. Amazon should have easy return policy i assume.

Well the 960 has the hdmi 2.1 connections so if you are gaming with the new consoles then perhaps it could be ideal, but X1600H otherwise cause cheaper and it still has the better Audussey version and longer warranty. To my knowledge S range has only 2year warranty in US.

Coke

Novice Member
So the AVR-S750H does have Audussey but its not as accurate as the X1600H then ? Cause I can get the S750H new for $399 and I'm not really interested in paying $650 for X1600H or getting a refurbished one.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So the AVR-S750H does have Audussey but its not as accurate as the X1600H then ? Cause I can get the S750H new for $399 and I'm not really interested in paying $650 for X1600H or getting a refurbished one.

The S range models has the old Audussey MultEQ where as X1600H has the MultEQ XT. The 499$ one is Denon refurbished so should be working fully with extended warranty so quite risk free one would assume.

If you have 400$ to spend get Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco! It`s basically same as the new RX-V6A, this is just special model for Costco.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom