Question Would this Powerline setup work?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Tomathee, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Tomathee

Tomathee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Wouldn't say confused, but unsure of the best way around my issue.

My previous setup was the TV and router (Virgin) in the same room next to each other, and the PC at the far end of the room. PC was connected via WiFi (never had issues to warrant using Ethernet cable), then a long HDMI cable to the TV with a long USB cable to use a mouse, keyboard and Xbox pad. Then it was a simple switch display on the computer and use the other mouse on the sofa for Netflix, gaming or whatever.

Now in a house and everything has moved apart. The router (Sky Q router) is in the kitchen, the PC is in the spare room upstairs via WiFi and the TV in the lounge, with a Sky Q box. I don't really want the expense of having cables run through walls etc, which I imagine may be vast as rooms are not directly above each other nor connection points in nearby corners etc, and particularly the PC may not be in it's final position or even room. Powerline (homeplugs(?)) seem a good way forward to firstly ensure a decent internet connection for the PC. That part I'm confident in and could begin shopping for a pair to connect them up.

Where the issue gets muddy for me is PC>TV. I think I'm correct in assuming that just adding another powerline near the TV and using a HDMI adapter won't work. One option I could consider is Steam link. I bought one last year to try and reduce cable clutter but it didn't have a great connection due to being on WiFi and it's been sitting in a drawer. I'm not sure how it would work with a Powerline adapter, if at all? Would that give me a better connection than the previous trial on WiFi but not carry the picture from the PC? Or, after all is said and done there's no way around it and I have to have some form of cable(s) from PC to the TV (thinking ahead both could be put on an outside wall and the cable run outside, but that's for another time if other things are ruled out).

Adding to the confusion is talk of Sky Q having Powerline built in, and whether it should be used and how well it works, but obviously neither Sky box is near the PC.

Thanks for helping!

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    Powerline (HomePlug) is basically a data networking technology - essentially it transports (data) ethernet packets over the mains.

If you want to use powerline to convey TV/control or anything else, then whatever it is you need to transfer needs to be capable of being sent encapsulated inside ethernet. Thereby, the powerline doesn't need to be anything "special" for your use case, where you need the "magic" to happen is at the endpoints which need to be able to send/receive the TV, control information or anything else inside ethernet (of more likely inside IP datagrams which thence in turn get wrapped inside ethernet by the end stations.)