• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Would this lens be good for a D40/D40x?

My Gf is looking at bigger zoom lenses and come across this on ebay...

Ebay Lens

Any thoughts on the type of lens and shots this could produce and more importantly, how it would work with the D40.

I see its manual focus - which I assume would make hand-held shots much more difficult for the novice photographer.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
My Gf is looking at bigger zoom lenses and come across this on ebay...

Ebay Lens

Any thoughts on the type of lens and shots this could produce and more importantly, how it would work with the D40.

I see its manual focus - which I assume would make hand-held shots much more difficult for the novice photographer.

First question, why would Nikon sell a 500mm for 5000 quid when you can buy one for 65?

Apart from being manual focus, it is also slow with max aperture of f8.

I would not touch this with a barge pole.

Yandros

OMG not that one again :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

Its amazing what you can do with a length of drainpipe and a couple of milkbottle bottoms these days!

What does she want to photograph and what's her maximum budget?

First question, why would Nikon sell a 500mm for 5000 quid when you can buy one for 65?

Apart from being manual focus, it is also slow with max aperture of f8.

I would not touch this with a barge pole.

Thanks!

OMG not that one again :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

Its amazing what you can do with a length of drainpipe and a couple of milkbottle bottoms these days!

What does she want to photograph and what's her maximum budget?

I think the day at the Zoo really tipped her to get her own DSLR and she also wanted a high zoom lens. Think we'll get a VR and see how it goes and the current Nikor 70-300 can be a bit hit n miss.

Thanks though!

Yandros

Thanks!

I think the day at the Zoo really tipped her to get her own DSLR and she also wanted a high zoom lens. Think we'll get a VR and see how it goes and the current Nikor 70-300 can be a bit hit n miss.

Thanks though!

You can really spend a small fortune on wildlife lenses. Beyond the obvious Nikon 70-300VR, the new 'BigmOS' - the Sigma 150-500mm OS is a possible, but ain't cheap!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom