Would this laptop be suitable for HD video editing?

LJx

It has a graphics card so could do some gaming and at that price it is not bad. CPU is only dual core, but you can't get quad core i7's for under £500 really anyway which would be good for editing. I think it is decent value especially for currys

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I'm using something pretty similar myself (it's a Dell XPS that I got from their outlet store for £470 or so with 8Gb RAM and a 7,200rpm 750Gb HDD). I've been using it to edit my AVCHD footage from a Panasonic camcorder and then rendering to AVCHD or DVD as required. I debated for ages if a laptop would suit what I wanted but it's been fine using Videostudio X5 Pro.

I also have the same CPU (i5-2450M) which I thought must be a Quad core as the task manager shows 4 CPU activity charts when I bring it up. :confused: In any case it works well enough for editing, but I don't game so the graphics card mine has doesn't get much stress. :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I also have the same CPU (i5-2450M) which I thought must be a Quad core as the task manager shows 4 CPU activity charts when I bring it up.
CPUs with Hyperthreading pretend to have twice as many cores as the CPU will work slightly more efficiently that way (5-10% improvement). All of Intel's quad-core mobile CPUs have a Q or X as the second to last character (the X ones are the high end Extreme Edition chips) - and they all pretend to have 8 cores.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that...I did wonder if it was some kind of 'virtual' CPU core thing going on. I haven't followed CPU technology for some time the last PC I built was an E6300 CoreDuo system (overclocked from 1.8 to 3Ghz mind). My i5 equiped XPS seems more responsive than that old desktop though, so I hope that helps the OP. :)

Steven Fergus

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies guys. As I said I could probably get it down to maybe £450 at a push, wondering if I should just go for it!

Kelvin - It's a Dell Vostro I have at the moment and it's been great (except for the on board sound going and being out dated now). I had a wee look at the XPS's and wondered how this would be in comparison to the Samsung laptop.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/....aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=2e0818ab

Also found this one which seems very similar though a little more expensive: http://www.ebuyer.com/271936-acer-ethos-5951g-laptop-lx-rgz02-050

And this which has an i7 processor but unfortunatly is a little out of my budget: http://www.ebuyer.com/279521-acer-aspire-5755g-laptop-lx-rpx02-037

Edit: Also found this XPS for £500 on ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-XPS-...t=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item4605894d8f There are so many choices!

Last edited:

LJx

Dell outlet has some deals if you keep your eye open. THose you linked to all have a GT540M graphics which is better than the Samsung but you are paying for it price wise. The i7 machine is decent value only £30 more than the acer i5. I wouldn't buy the Dell from ebay, it is refurbished and the price is not great considering that and what shows up on the outlet.

EDIT just found this i5 2450m GT630M, better graphics than all of those and only £430 some good deals on this site
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1201803.html

that is a bargain

Last edited:

Steven Fergus

Standard Member
That Acer looks like a cracking deal! I'm guessing that would cope ok with video editing? I don't plan on doing much of it to be honest, just have one video just now which I want to edit!

How important is the graphics card for editing? I don't plan on playing any games. Lastly, I take it 4GB of ram is enough?

Thank you!

Edit: There's also a nice i7 model http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Open_Box_-_Acer_Aspire_5755G_1235051.html more expensive though. If the i3 which you linked to is good enough I think I'll go for it.

Last edited:

MarkE19

How important is the graphics card for editing?
It depends on the editing software you use. A lot of programs can't offload the video processing to a graphics card and so rely on the CPU to do the work, in which case the GPU is mostly unused.
Even programs that can offload work to the GPU will still make use of the CPU if the GPU isn't capable of doing it.

Mark.

LJx

That Acer looks like a cracking deal! I'm guessing that would cope ok with video editing? I don't plan on doing much of it to be honest, just have one video just now which I want to edit!

How important is the graphics card for editing? I don't plan on playing any games. Lastly, I take it 4GB of ram is enough?

Thank you!

Edit: There's also a nice i7 model Open Box - Acer Aspire 5755G LX.RPX02.037(C) more expensive though. If the i3 which you linked to is good enough I think I'll go for it.
graphics card not important at all really for editing but that is what you are paying for along with the CPU in these higher spec models, everything else can be upgraded (RAM, HDD, Screen etc.) so you want to get the best you can for the price. The i7 model is a decent price but whether is is worth £100 extra for the i7 over the i5 is debateable. I think that i5 GT630M is the best deal around that price I have seen before even more so if you wanted to play games

Steven Fergus

Standard Member
It depends on the editing software you use. A lot of programs can't offload the video processing to a graphics card and so rely on the CPU to do the work, in which case the GPU is mostly unused.
Even programs that can offload work to the GPU will still make use of the CPU if the GPU isn't capable of doing it.

Mark.
Thanks for explaining that!

graphics card not important at all really for editing but that is what you are paying for along with the CPU in these higher spec models, everything else can be upgraded (RAM, HDD, Screen etc.) so you want to get the best you can for the price. The i7 model is a decent price but whether is is worth £100 extra for the i7 over the i5 is debateable. I think that i5 GT630M is the best deal around that price I have seen before even more so if you wanted to play games
Thanks for that; the i5 and GT630M does seem like a good deal! As I said I don't have any plans for gaming so not sure the gfx card will be of benefit but I dupes it's good to have!

Would you say that's the one to go for? It has 4GBof ram as opposed to 6GB but I'm guessing that'll be enough?

Thanks again, all this info is much appreciated!

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
That Acer looks similar spec to my XPS so judging from my experiences so far (using Videostudio X5 pro to edit AVCHD files) has been very good. I nearly went for an Ebuyer laptop myself as nothing suitable came up on Dell outlet for a while, then I just struck lucky as my £470 XPS retailed at nearly £800 when I spec'd a brand new one up on the Dell website, so IMHO the new ones are a bit overpriced on Dell.

Of course you can always find one for a 'little bit more' that is more powerful, but before you know it you've spent twice what you intended. What got me going and actually making a decision was trying out my Mum's laptop with some of my AVCHD files (she uses X2 version of Videostudio). Her laptop is 2 years old and only 2Ghz Dual Core, 2Gb RAM and a 5,400rpm HDD, but it coped well enough for my requirements (using proxy files when editting HD helps, walking away from the PC while rendering and just leaving it alone also helps ;) ). The flexibility of using a laptop far outweighs faster rendering for my use (it's usually less than 100% of the runtime anyway based on 3 projects I have done, so not like I have to leave it overnight rendering as I did in days gone by).

Hope you get something suitable soon. :thumbsup:

LJx

Thanks for explaining that!

Thanks for that; the i5 and GT630M does seem like a good deal! As I said I don't have any plans for gaming so not sure the gfx card will be of benefit but I dupes it's good to have!

Would you say that's the one to go for? It has 4GBof ram as opposed to 6GB but I'm guessing that'll be enough?

Thanks again, all this info is much appreciated!
I would go for it, I don't see anything around even up to £500 that is as good. 4GB ram is fine, and upgrading RAM is so straight forward in laptops, they even give you instructions in the manual 3 minutes your done. 8GB DDR3 only costs about £30 so if you wanted more it's easy as that.

ifb-online

Although not going to be an option for many, if you are using recent versions of Adobe Premiere Pro the graphics card makes a huge difference and has to be an nVidia type with at least 96 CUDA cores and 1GB of dedicated RAM. I've ordered a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 from the Dell outlet store (great value but expect to wait 8-14 days for your order to be processed!) with a quad core i7 2670QM CPU and nVidia GeForce GT525M graphics with 1GB VRAM for £439 delivered. Video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 is one of the jobs this laptop will be doing.

Other video editing software like Corel VideoStudio (from version X3) also benefit from GPU acceleration and VideoStudio is CUDA compatible.

So I think it's not good advice to ignore the graphics support for video editing.

Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom