1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this give me good surround sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tracey, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a dilemma about speaker positioning, the usual problems with room layout and decor. I was thinking of using my Mission Stance stands to put my rear speakers on (PMC DB1) that would make them at ear height and would be just behind the seating position toed in or almost facing each other. When I demoed the kit the rear speakers were at ear level and it sounded fine to me but from reading posts on this forum it seems that to get the best sound rears should be higher. Can this not be adjusted with the processor settings to make it sound ok? Or will I never get the best out of my system by doing it this way?

I don't have the option of wall mounting them higher as it would mean they are right on top of my wall lights and would look awful. The only option I have is to buy some taller stands for the rears, I was just hoping I could get away with having the front and rears at the same height.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Tracey

IMO DB1's on some Mission Stance stands are too low for rears unless you are sitting on a bean-bag. I believe rears should add atmosphere and mood as well as demonstrating bullets flying passed your temple. Too close/low and they will dominate, even with sophisticated amps like yours for tweaking distance. Remember that in a cinema (which is what recording engineers have in mind when making the film) have their rears placed a fair way above your ears. I'd recommend some taller rear stands.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, yes from the posts I've read I think you're right, I'll stick with the Missions for the front speakers. What height stands should I be looking at then? 60cm, 100cm?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Minimum 100cm. Taller if you can, but I can't remember seeing many taller :( - probably get stabilty issues over 1m tall. The DB1's are heavy little buggers (great build quality), so make sure the stands are steady.

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting a pair of the Atacam SE10 stands 100cm tall, they should do the trick.