1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this damage a speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Bigglesworth, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I bought some second hand MX2s, and I only had a chance to test them yesterday, and took off the grille to find the small black top dome bit (is that the tweeter?) was pressed in a bit. I carefully made it pop out, and it has no tear or anything so will it be fine?

[​IMG]

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Looking at Tannoy's website shows that they use a soft dome(probably fabric) tweeter in this model.
    Obviously having been pressed in and then restored to it's original shape does possibly involve damage.
    If it works and sounds fine,then probably little or no damage has been done.....taking it to a dealer will undoubtedly result in a recommendation to replace the unit,which may actually be quite a low cost option if you are worried...and any good tannoy dealer should be able to give you an idea of cost.

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it popped out without any cracks or other visual damage, it's probably OK.

Use a test disc to compare the output of both speakers - or just change them over on the same material to see if you can hear any difference.

Tweeters lead quite a hard life and are quite tough little beasts...

4. CapnDan

CapnDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im a big fan of tannoy, i once launched a snes joypad at the tweeter on an old pair of 632's (by accident of course) which thoroughly broke it. I wrote to tannoy enquiring about a replacement and they sent me a complete tweeter unit absolutely free within a week !! :)

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Bigglesworth: it's worth noting that having a replacement driver put in to a speaker costs nowhere near what you might think it would in proportion to the overall cost of the speakers themselves.

For the Tannoy's you have, you may be looking at as little as £15 to £20, supplied and fitted.

Therefore, even if the speaker is damaged significantly (which I would doubt), it's not expensive to rectify the problem :smashin:

6. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I don't think its damaged since I can't see any damage nor did it sounds particularly different to my other speaker, but I will swap the speakers around and see if I can tell any difference.