Would this cabling setup work for PC/console audio?

cal9099

Novice Member
I'm getting the Logitech Z407 speaker set but I want to be able to play audio from my PC (screen 1) and my PS5 (screen 2) at the same time, would this work...?

Get a 4 channel audio mixer, plug a 3.5mm - RCA adapter from my PC into input 1, a 3.5mm - RCA adapter from my 2nd screen into input 2, then put the RCA output into my speakers.

My knowledge of audio stinks so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
In theory yes as long as you have 2 x stereo analogue signals (PC Line Out + Line/Headphone Out from your second screen) you can use a suitable mixer.

Depending on why you want to do it you may find keeping everything 'in sync' more of a challenge that simply mixing two audio signals.

Joe

cal9099

Novice Member
In theory yes as long as you have 2 x stereo analogue signals (PC Line Out + Line/Headphone Out from your second screen) you can use a suitable mixer.

Depending on why you want to do it you may find keeping everything 'in sync' more of a challenge that simply mixing two audio signals.

Joe
Thanks Joe!

So the 3.5mm input on my second screen is just a headphone jack, it works when I plug my current speakers directly in. Then the PC connection is the green circle (Line Out?). So I assume that should work then? The speaker will pick up the 2 inputs just via the R/L slots on the back via the mixer rather than needing anything going into the 3.5mm/micro ubs slots it has available?

In terms of keeping audio in sync, I'm just looking to be able to do simple things like having music playing on the PC while I play games on the console for example.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Second screen - will be a Headphone Output.

Assuming you have tested the PC Line Out (Green Circle) and Second Screen Headphone Out individually via the 3.5mm Line In connection on the Logitech Sub (amazing how the Logitech website makes all of the cables disappear :)) you will be fine once you add in a Mixer.

The R and L Output RCA connectors on the sub are where you wire the L and R satellite speakers too.

You will connect the Sources to your 4-channel Mixer then the LR output of the Mixer to the 3.5mm Input on the Sub.

Joe

See - https://www.logitech.com/assets/65953/2/z407-bluetooth-computer-speakers-with-subwoofer.pdf

cal9099

Novice Member
Second screen - will be a Headphone Output.

Assuming you have tested the PC Line Out (Green Circle) and Second Screen Headphone Out individually via the 3.5mm Line In connection on the Logitech Sub (amazing how the Logitech website makes all of the cables disappear :)) you will be fine once you add in a Mixer.

The R and L Output RCA connectors on the sub are where you wire the L and R satellite speakers too.

You will connect the Sources to your 4-channel Mixer then the LR output of the Mixer to the 3.5mm Input on the Sub.

Joe

See - https://www.logitech.com/assets/65953/2/z407-bluetooth-computer-speakers-with-subwoofer.pdf
Ah yes the L/R on the back of the sub connects to the speakers, my mistake.

So then I'll need 3x RCA to 3.5mm converters rather than 2 as I originally thought (1 for PC to mixer, 1 for second screen to mixer, 1 for LR output of the mixer to the 3.5mm input on the sub)?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you have a Mixer in mind - some will only have 1 x 2RCA Input and other Inputs on 1/4" jacks?

Some will offer 2RCA + 1/4" Jack Outputs others 1/4" only.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Always wary of going with 'passive' devices - I'd tend towards a 'live' type mixer which I can use for quick level adjustments and adds a few extra features I would tend to use.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom