Would this be enough?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by hendyzero2, Jun 19, 2004.

1. hendyzero2

hendyzero2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i trade all this in will it be enough for an n-gage (original refurbished ($99) at eb games).

GBA SP
    Xbox NFL FEVER 2003
    Yu-gi-oh worldwide edition
    Crash bandicot: The Huge Adventure
    Tetris Worlds
    Yu-gi-oh eternal duelist soul
    Link cable
    GBA SP Charger
    Megaman battle network 3 white
    Heros of might and magic (GBC)

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The new N-Gage QD, which vastly improves on the old design in terms of easy access for game cartridges, and gets rid of some of the useless features on the old one, such as the radio. This is out in Europe very soon, but as you were quoting $ in your post, I presume you are either Australian or American. If you are the latter, the QD isn't out for a while, but worth waiting for.

Why not get it on a contract and you won't have to pay anything for it then.

I imagine everything you have there would be more than enough for an N-gage, but why not wait for the Sony PSP, due at xmas, or the less sophisticated Nintendo DS, which should be out soon too?

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Yeah, i'm with GG on that - i'd wait for one of the new handhelds to come out. Which one are you leaning towards at the moment GG? I must say whilst the PSP looks class, it's also rather large and I love the game & Watch style design of the DS.

My Ipaq does me for my mobile gaming at the moment - there's some pretty decent stuff out for Pocket PC's now - Mame and other emulators, Argentium, Fifa 2002, Doom, Quake, lemmings to name but a few.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The DS looks a bit ****e to be honest mate. The graphics look a bit naff and the dual screen is just looking like a battery munching gimmick. But we will see.

Definately be one of the first to get a PSP, wallet depending :thumbsup:

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Yeah depends how they use the 2nd screen I guess. The DS could find itself just using the 2nd screen in some games for the sake of it, although it could also be put to some great use. The obvious ones are to use it for maps or item screens but it would be good to see some more imaginative uses of the screen as well.

I can't fully share your optimism for the PSP at the moment - on one hand it does have the might of Sony behind it and the Playstation brand whilst on the other hand I can see it being very heavy on batteries and it's a bit too big just to stuff in a pocket.

I'm a firm believer in that mobile gaming doesn't need to be complex and often simple puzzle games make the best mobile games. To play PES3 or GT on the move would be superb though! I will probably get one, but only if it's something that I will practically use whilst out and about. If it's something that would only get used in the home (like my Game Gear pretty much did) due to battery consumption and/or the size of the unit then I may as well just stick to the PS2 instead.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I think in the end the winner of handheld gaming will be a mobile phone company like Nokia.

If they can sort out the N-Gage, make it excellent, and then bring out a next gen 128bit version that doesn't look like a housebrick, and has a good screen and controls it will wipe the floor.

Multimedia is always about convergence, and with the high turnover in this sector I see the mobile phone sector really taking over.

Combined with an advanced form of 3G technology (4G?), a decent amount of storage (10GB+) for mp3's etc, and some killer games and applications there is no reason why the crown in the next round of handhelds after PSP et al won't belong to someone like Nokia, SonyEricsson, Vodafone or another company.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Yes I agree, that seems like the obvious route forward. Both Pocket PC's and multimedia mobiles are becoming very popular these days and games companies therefore have a captive audience as people but these devices for other reasons than just games.

It's similar to the success story of the PC as a gaming platform really. People already own the hardware so a large potential user base already exists. You also have things like the stylus, touch screens on PDA's that allow for some great control systems in games!

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The radio was a very good feature on the NG for the train....I could play games and listen to Radio 1 at the same time :)

Matt