1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be an ok setup?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Oakey, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to totally replace my HT kit, had pondered on getting the Sony DAV-S888 but I think I'm going to make the leap into seperates. So, any opinions on this potential setup please:

DVD - Pioneer DV-757ai
    Amp - Marantz SR7300 (barring reported faults, I might risk it)
    Speakers - Kef 2005.2 (5 for £400)
    Sub - unsure

Would this be a reasonable setup (I don't have a huge room)? Feel free to comment on each system and any suggestions on better equipment (my budget is about £600 for each component). At the moment I'm using a Toshiba 32ZP18 although I'm looking to replace that in the near future with the new 32ZP38. Will also be connecting an Xbox (component to Maratnz maybe?), a PS2 and maybe my Sony LISSA if it's possible.

Thanks

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen or heard them in action but judging by the reviews and reputations you should have an excellent, reasonably high end system.

I've got a much cheaper, budget system and well happy with it so can't see you going wrong with that lot.

You may want to think about PAL progressive scan though as I think your telly may be able to take it.

Cheers,
    Cal.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi Oakey,

I've been using a Pioneer 757Ai for about six months and have had no problems at all with it unlike some certain other makes. It now plays on my plasma by component (PS on NTSC discs) and the picture is superb. The new models now have PAL PS as standard which would be good for your proposed TV. I'm afraid I have no experience of the amp or speakers you suggest.

Steve

4. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I've seen the 757ai available at www.unbeatable.co.uk for £600 although I'm unsure if this is multi-region and it makes no mention of whether it's pal or ntsc PS. I may have to phone them when it comes to time to buy. This would be the TV I plan to get sometime in the future Toshiba PF2 . Does anyone know how much I would get for my current Toshiba 32ZP18 if I was to sell it? It's exactly a year old, I believe I paid £1400 for it this time last year but that was with a JVC S-VHS video as well. Thanks

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi, I've got the pioneer dv656a and its excellent, I suggest you get a decent sub at some point tho. the sound quality of the Sony isn't supposed to be upto much mind you.

I've got as yamaha 620 AV amp, and would recommend their AV amps without any hesitation.

6. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Sony might last me temporarily. Can anyone tell me where the sub plugs into the SR7300? (there's a pic of the rear at www.avland.co.uk). I can't seem to see anything for a sub. Also, what would be a good sub to get? Or would it be worth paying that little extra and buying the Kef 5.1 package?