Would this be an ok graphics card

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Need to replace my ATI 9800Pro - it must be on its way out as display keeps corrupting and after testing it on different TV and different PC I had same problems

PC will be running MCE and will be used for movies (via MyMovies) and Video files such as AVI

It will also be used to play a fair bit of 720p High Def stuff

Would a Nvidia 6600 with 256MB of Ram and AGPx8 be ok

oxygenuk

Banned
yes i have a 6200 and its great so a 6600 with agp would be a corker or if ya not completely suire just get a 6800gt lol

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Hi Duncan - have you not joined the Gigabyte fanless 6600/6600gt club yet? Get the nvidia codec to go with it - it's very good :smashin:

Last edited:

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
lisag said:
Hi Duncan - have you not joined the Gigabyte fanless 6600/6600gt club yet? Get the nvidia codec to go with it - it's very good :smashin:

lisa
nope - but interested - I am assuming its a fanless gt600 ?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
DuncanWardle said:
nope - but interested - I am assuming its a fanless gt600 ?
Yes, I have the gigabyte fanless 6600gt AGP card, they also do a fanless 6600 now, which would probably be just as good for HTPC use, but obviously the gt version would be better for gaming. The only downside is that the heatsink is large and uses up the space of the adjoining PCI slot - they do PCI-e versions too. And I think a fanless 6800 version.

Last edited:

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
lisag said:
Yes, I have the gigabyte fanless 6600gt AGP card, they also do a fanless 6600 now, which would probably be just as good for HTPC use, but obviously the gt version would be better for gaming. The only downside is that the heatsink is large and uses up the space of the adjoining PCI slot - they do PCI-e versions too. And I think a fanless 6800 version.

lisa
Thanks - have sepertae PC for gaming - and have had enough now of my 9800 refusing to work or currpoting at worst possible moment so will get a fanless 6600

thanks

Rambles

Distinguished Member
DuncanWardle said:
Thanks - have sepertae PC for gaming - and have had enough now of my 9800 refusing to work or currpoting at worst possible moment so will get a fanless 6600

thanks
this is useful info.

evolution400

DuncanWardle said:

thanks
If you just want the card for video mate save your bucks and get the 6200a fanless its about £40 I think and is fine for HD I have borrowed a mates and tested on my HCPC for a full weekend I just wanted to see if it was better quality than my ATI 9600XT it was same so I stuck with the ATI and didnt buy a 6200.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
evolution400 said:
If you just want the card for video mate save your bucks and get the 6200a fanless its about £40 I think and is fine for HD.
I wonder if this is really true? The link to the Pure Video site that I posted above shows that the AGP version of the 6600 card does not support PureVideo. It would be good if it did because then I could swap it for the 6600gt and reclaim the use of my PCI slot...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom