• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Would this be a good start to the av world?

rikki123123

Established Member
Hey everyone,

Ive been looking into getting an av receiver for a while now, to start off my bedroom setup.
At the minute i have a ps3 on a 42" toshiba regza

I will eventually want a 5.1 or 7.1 setup and will be listening to movies/tv and games. With the occasional music album.

iv found this - ONKYO TXSR508 3D READY HOME CINEMA RECEIVER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/6437 for details

I think it would be fine for what i need, BUT, what do you all think?

Thanks alot

rikki

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 508 will be a good start into av and all you need is some speakers to go with it. For Onkyo look at speakers by tannoy, wharfedale and kef to mention a few.

rikki123123

Established Member
ok thanks allot! im trying to decide between floor standers or bookshelf speakers. decisions, decisions haha

Think i might go for floorstanders with a sub, and see how i get on.
What sort of sub could i go for with this reciever? i take it the subs that are used on this type of system have a built in amp?

cheers

rikki

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you have the budget then look at BK Electronics subs. The Gemini II is a very good entry level sub. Yes, all subs for av recievers have on board ampe i.e. active subs.

rikki123123

Established Member

PSM1

Distinguished Member
From those 2 the Wharfedale would be the better option although if you can stretch to £200 then the Gemini II will be better still.

rikki123123

Established Member
i think i will stick with the wharfedale.

As for front speakers i was thinking wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers. keeping with the wharfedale theme.
Has anyone got experience of these?

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom