Would there be any support?

Andy8421

Novice Member
Would there be any support for putting together a basic guide to loudspeaker cables that could become a sticky?

No subjective content, but a basic factual guide to cabling, sizing, and specifying. This has been covered many times over, but would be good to have in one place.

If there is interest, with support, I could pull together a table of basic electrical parameters for the more popular cables. Resistance, capacitance, inductance, conductance. Either based on manufacturers specs (few and far between), published tests or testing of a sample. I have a good raft of test equipment, but nothing that can measure accurate resistance in the milliohms, so I would need to call on members who do (Alan?). I have leftover samples of a number of cable types, but perhaps some of the cable vendors on the forum could provide end of roll lengths for testing.

Let me know if interested.

Andy.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Andy

Happy to fire over any of the VanDamme Blue, Black or Hi-Fi series cable range – got plenty of offcuts you can have.

Whilst you're in ‘sticky' mode the HDMI sticky needs a good tidy up/update – and probably limit it to pre modded posts only so it sticks with factual stuff.

Joe

Alan Mac

Collecting and tabulating the factual information on individual loudspeaker cables to form a readily accessible reference does sound like a good idea.

I think information on VanDamme cables is generally available and published by the manufacturers: certainly a gold-star-deserving point in their favour. So it probably isn’t necessary to re-measure them, just to include the information.

It would seem, judging by the few results in so far, that:

(1) it is best to avoid the cheap cables advertised on e-bay.

(2) The 2.5 mm² loudspeaker cable from TLC is hard to beat for the price.

Alan

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I absolutely agree with both of those suggestions.

Given some time I might have a look at the HDMI one myself, unless someone wants to post some suggestions.

Andy if you post your FAQ in this thread I can split it out and sticky it. If there's anything else I can do to help also let me know.

Andy8421

Novice Member
I absolutely agree with both of those suggestions.

Given some time I might have a look at the HDMI one myself, unless someone wants to post some suggestions.

Andy if you post your FAQ in this thread I can split it out and sticky it. If there's anything else I can do to help also let me know.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will give it a go.

Andy.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Cool, LMK if there's anything I can do to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom