Question Would the NU8000 be the best TV under 1K for sports and gaming?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by AppleCop, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:42 AM.

1. AppleCop

AppleCop
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every other TV I have been recommended either does one or the other much better. A few people told me this TV would be the perfect balance. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

I assume the native 120hrz and FreeSync is great for sports and and really just want true HDR for gaming which I believe this TV has.

So is there anything else I might be missing in this range that could be better?

2. smcmullan88

smcmullan88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same questions about this model so following this thread with interest :)

3. AppleCop

AppleCop
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked for AVF's review of the TV on here and can't find one. Rtings gives it good reviews for both but I had someone tell me today the HDR is bad for gaming. Which is the first time I've heard that. Most people say it's good so this is why I am so confused. I can't seem to get an unbiased answer.

Maybe unbiased isn't the right word. I've always heard rtings is the most trusted review site for TVs so I guess if they say it's good, it's good. I believe they gave HDR gaming on it a 8.4.

I imagine at the 1K price tag it's probably hard to find a TV that does live sports and gaming very well. So I know I will have to make a bit of a trade off.

Someone mentioned the Vizio P series as another one under 1K that does both well. I'd be interested to see what people have to say about that set.

4. pmac1985

pmac1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I’m not the most clued up in regards to all this but recently bought a new tv and this was one off my consideration’s, though I didn’t go for it.

In regards to HDR I’m off the understanding that this tv doesn’t offer true hdr as it can’t reach the peak brightness really needed.
    The 120hrz and free sync would/could be off benefit for gaming but I’m not sure how much really.
    Digital foundery seemed to give mixed opinions on it with the 1X and I believe ps doesn’t support it at all yet.

Are you in the US as you mentioned the Vizio which isn’t available in the uk and the 1k price(£750ish in the uk for the nu8000).

For true HDR in that price range in the uk(1k) the Sony fx9005 is the only one to get close to the peak brightness needed but at that price you would be looking at the 49” unless it drops again after Xmas.

They were £999 for the 55 over black Friday.

5. AppleCop

AppleCop
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I am in the US. I think you are right about the NU8000 and the HDR. I think I am taking it off my list since I can get a better all around TV for less in the Vizio P. I watched a couple very in depth reviews on it last night and it seems to do HDR really well. I can't remember the peak brightness but I think it gets close to 1000 nits. It also has Dolby Vision, a native 120hrz panel, and they said the black levels are amazing. It's $800 here in the states and may even drop after the first of the year when I actually plan on buying a TV.

However, I will still consider a Sony if I can get one that's as good or better than the Vizio for around 1K. If I find one that is that much better I would probably be willing to go up to $1,100.But the $800 for what you get with the Vizio might be too good to turn down.