Question Would owners buy AF9 again

Tegs200

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just wanted to ask if current owners would buy again if given the choice and after living with any teething niggles.

Yes I would, my Af9 is the first set I have had in 4 years that I do not feel needs calibrating in fact when I get around to it I want to try the 65in version

Why do I like the set ?

Great pictures with low bit rate content, good near black performance, best HDR I have seen yet (I have had a E6 and C7) the lean back design keeps the set very stable, and unlike others here we find the centre ch speaker works very very well ( it was good with YPAO on a 3070) but on an Arcam 390 the dirac nails it and the sony sounds well integrated with our front L and R speakers (Quad 22L's) the layout looks so much better with no separate centre speaker, we do not miss it one bit and voices coming from the set is much more cinema like. I am sure other will say different and that's fine I can only write on what we have found in 4 months of everyday use

No , but if i get a issue free one then yes... I am in the perfect position of having tried the 802 and C8 which had V/banding .. IMO both the 802 and C8 easily offer a PQ that matches the AF9 ... THE £600/800 price difference is hard to justify , so if i were you , unless like me your main viewing is Sport , i would try a 802 or C8 ... OMO but a qualified one.

Thanks for your replies

Yes I would, my Af9 is the first set I have had in 4 years that I do not feel needs calibrating in fact when I get around to it I want to try the 65in version

Why do I like the set ?

Great pictures with low bit rate content, good near black performance, best HDR I have seen yet (I have had a E6 and C7) the lean back design keeps the set very stable, and unlike others here we find the centre ch speaker works very very well ( it was good with YPAO on a 3070) but on an Arcam 390 the dirac nails it and the sony sounds well integrated with our front L and R speakers (Quad 22L's) the layout looks so much better with no separate centre speaker, we do not miss it one bit and voices coming from the set is much more cinema like. I am sure other will say different and that's fine I can only write on what we have found in 4 months of everyday use

Near black (shadow detail) is so important. It's amazing how so many people discount the importance of it. Also, up-scaling of regular content, because most people don't watch 4K HDR all the time, so that's very important.

Yes,certainly would buy again. Best Oled I ever have had and have been through a lot:confused:. Zero tint and next to no banding is more than I could have hoped for. Well happy with the motion,the near black shadow details are best that's out there atm. My e7 was very good but the Af9 beats it in every way picture wise.

Only niggle is the performance of the inbuilt Netflix app as it's way too dark,but I use my ATV for Netflix and it's excellent on that. Not really bothered about the lack of YouTube HDR as I hardly watched it on my E7 anyway.

Also like the performance of the acoustic surface for watching late at night .

Really wouldn't want to swap my 65" with any Oled that came out in 2018,well other than a 77" C8 with zero issues:D

Gonna keep this set for a couple of years as while this years sets are gonna be better,it won't be a big enough jump for me to wanna upgrade.

Black Friday 2020 is the date I have set to look to upgrade ,but may not even then as may be a bigger upgrade a few months down the line.

I can just sit back and relax this year and watch others go on the upgrade merry go round,and the wheel of misfortune trying to find a set with minimal issues .

I'm finally a happy bunny after 5 years of playing silly beggars returns:smoke:

Yes,certainly would buy again. Best Oled I ever have had and have been through a lot:confused:. Zero tint and next to no banding is more than I could have hoped for. Well happy with the motion,the near black shadow details are best that's out there atm. My e7 was very good but the Af9 beats it in every way picture wise.

Only niggle is the performance of the inbuilt Netflix app as it's way too dark,but I use my ATV for Netflix and it's excellent on that. Not really bothered about the lack of YouTube HDR as I hardly watched it on my E7 anyway.

Also like the performance of the acoustic surface for watching late at night .

Really wouldn't want to swap my 65" with any Oled that came out in 2018,well other than a 77" C8 with zero issues:D

Gonna keep this set for a couple of years as while this years sets are gonna be better,it won't be a big enough jump for me to wanna upgrade.

Black Friday 2020 is the date I have set to look to upgrade ,but may not even then as may be a bigger upgrade a few months down the line.

I can just sit back and relax this year and watch others go on the upgrade merry go round,and the wheel of misfortune trying to find a set with minimal issues .

I'm finally a happy bunny after 5 years of playing silly beggars returns:smoke:
Your next to no Banding what are you seeing Banding on content wise ... i only ask as this present AF9 has a feint V/BAND on the extreme right on Football not a hint on any other content.. i am actually getting Sky to come out to check that its not down to interference , all the tv's i have returned for V,Banding was only ever present on Footy and nothing else and all via Sky Q .

I only see it on torture tests like Marco polo ,arrival etc but it is very feint and many wouldn't notice it and really don't see it most of the time on other content. Stuff like haunting of hill house,ghost stories etc have noticed no banding at all and just a excellent pic.

Have no banding on football at all,watched plenty of football and other sports and not seen a hint of banding. Am surprised you see banding on football,because of all the panels I've had over the years, only about 3 showed banding on football,it's been usually near dark scenes that showed up banding.

So you having returned a few recently for banding on football is a strange one. Especially that c8 you had as that seemed to have excellent uniformity yet you returned for banding.

In a heartbeat, I love mine no visible tint and very little banding not visible on any football and only visible when I really look for it on the normal shows.

I only see it on torture tests like Marco polo ,arrival etc but it is very feint and many wouldn't notice it and really don't see it most of the time on other content. Stuff like haunting of hill house,ghost stories etc have noticed no banding at all and just a excellent pic.

Have no banding on football at all,watched plenty of football and other sports and not seen a hint of banding. Am surprised you see banding on football,because of all the panels I've had over the years, only about 3 showed banding on football,it's been usually near dark scenes that showed up banding.

So you having returned a few recently for banding on football is a strange one. Especially that c8 you had as that seemed to have excellent uniformity yet you returned for banding.
Yes it was the C8 that was fine on the 5% screen and for the first 4 days not a hint of Banding .. then there were 2 in the centre of Screen again only Football ... May sound funny but this house is at a angle to the Satellite so can pick up interference , which could in theroy be bands .. the chap who fitted the Sky Q said the dish needed to be higher to enable it to align correctly .. but as it was working i said no .. but now it may be the cause as when it rains (normal not heavy) a good few channels stop working .., it's clutching at straws , but you never know ... I have not seen any near Black Banding and the Band is very feint on the footy on this AF9

I love mine after switching from a mid range sony lcd.But and it is a big but,dolby vision is a joke on this set.If sony have not sorted it out by the autumn(and that is plenty of time as this is an ongoing saga since they first introduced it),the new 2019 Pana's look pretty tempting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom