1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would my PC be good enough?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Synchronicity, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hi,Ive got a Sanyo Z2 projector on order and initially I only intended to use my dvd player but I was wondering if my pc would be good enough:confused:

Ive got a reasonable PC with a nvidia 4200ti gfx card and creative 5.1 sound card,but dont know if I need any specific gear :rolleyes:

Is it worth tweaking my system or should I just stick to the old dvd player?
    Cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Main concern with an HTPC is the video card .. the usual recommendation is an ATI Radeon for picture quality and hardware-assisted MPEG decoding ... unless you've got a good quality DVD player with progressive scan output your picture quality will be considerably better driving the pj from a PC.

Not sure of the spec for the 4200Ti but I'd have thought it should be usable I'd have thought and still give good results .. presuming the Z2 can be driven at 1:1 mapping, ie. you'll probably need to use Powerstrip to configure the PC's video card to be 1280x720 (or whatever the pj resolution is) at the same refresh rate as the projector.

Nice thing about a PC is that if you've the disk space you can rip and play DVDs off the hard disk, much more convenient especially with multi-part movies like the LoTR EE, which can be joined into a single playable film with sufficient disk space.

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Cool,I was worried I might need some new fangled hardware:suicide: if all I need is a couple of extra leads Im laughing(although this new set up is costing me a fortune in leads and cables:rolleyes: )

Ill have to dig out the manual for my gfx card when I get home and baffle myself with science.No doubt Ill be back here as soon as the PJ arrives and I get extremely confused.I cant believe I might actually save myself some money!!!:D
    Cheers:smashin:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's plenty of help available round here when you need it. :)