Would like to replace my Sky router. Where do I start?

RetroGlide08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have the Sky router, model number SR101 and am thinking of replacing it. My question is in two parts,
1, Could someone please recommend a good make/model?
2. Is the procedure straight forward? Any pointers appreciated.

You should start by listing out what you want, then go shopping for something that provides it all, then if you can't find something that meets all requirements, start "trading off" features you live without against what is available.

It would also be useful to ask the rhetorical question "what's wrong with what I've got...?" (if you will, "what 'problem' am I trying to 'fix..?'")

Last edited:
You should start by listing out what you want, then go shopping for something that provides it all, then if you can't find something that meets all requirements, start "trading off" features you live without against what is available.

Thanks mickevh, problem is, apart from having the ability to perhaps offer better data transfer speeds, if that is at all possible, I'm not sure where to start. We have quite a few devices at home here and once a large chunk of them are on it has caused the odd "stutter" in performance. Was thinking a new router would remedy this.

It would be best to determine where the problem lies: Is it with your Internet services, is with the wi-fi links...? If the former, there's probably not much you can do about it. If the latter, you may be able to make a difference, but it's very much dependent of the nature of the problem and the capabilities of your wi-fi devices.

If it is transfer speed across the home network then you can add a gigabit switch and route everything through that.

Its a bit of pain to replace the router.

Ive done it, replaced with a Draytek. The router needs too be able to authenticate using MER (Mac encapsulated routing), of which the majority of routers don't do. It uses

Draytek do this, there is an Asus that does it to, and i think that hacked firmware you can run on link sys routers can also do it.

You will need to use an app called 'Wireshark' to connect to your Sky router to get the user name and password out of it, which will be output when you boot the router. There are some instructions on the net about this. I did read there was a website you could put the mac address of your router in, and it would give you the password, but i never tried this.

In summary, need to be careful which model of router you replace it with, and most won't work.

Thanks for the input and replies. Gives me a good base to start from. Definitely trickier than I thought lol. Typical Sky!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom