Would like some ideas for good DVD(& DVD-A/SACD)/CD players below £4K

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by extremelydodgy, Feb 24, 2005.

1. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've been dithering a long time about this, but I'm ready to step up from my current audio-only main set-up to a decent DVD-capable player. I don't want separate players cluttering up my living room as now, and will be trying for an all-in-one source. £4000 is the maximum I'm willing to spend on the player at this time.

I need in the following order:
    CD playback quality
    SACD/DVD-A playback quality
    DVD Video playback quality

Probably the opposite of many people choosing a DVD player, but I'm audio-centric. Do you have any good ideas for what I should start looking at?

Important note: I will not be going 5.1... it will still be a 2-channel set-up, divided unequally between headphones (~70% of time) and speakers (~30% of time).

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well there aren't that many players that can play all formats at very good quality. Most multiformat players tend to be the cheaper DVD players.
    The only high end players I know about are the following:

Linn Unidisc 1.1 (about £6.5k so out of budget)
    Linn Unidisc 2.1 (£4.5k)
    Linn Unidisc SC (built in surround sound processing - £3k)
    Lexicon RT-10 (£2.5k)

all the above players are just a dream for me as they are well outside of my budget. They will all play DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD & CD and should do a very good job with all the formats.

Mark.

3. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    /me shakes jealous fist at you :hiya:

Advantage, Bladelius, Meridian, Primare, Theta, Townshend.............

4. Steve Collier

Steve Collier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was audiocentric and went for a Marantz DV8400 in an otherwise Linn system. I have never regretted the decision, but I will take a close look at the new Marantz DV9500 when it becomes available, as a possible picture upgrade, in preference to a unidisk player.

5. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a mate has the Linn Unidisc 2.1, while it IS a nice player all around, I cant say the audio bettered the transport & dac he has for primary CD listening (brand escapes me) which cost him about £1700 IIRC ...

6. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Theta Comli. If you only wanted CD / DVD (and not SACD/DVD-A) you could look at the older Theta models...
    Also, the Krell Showcase may be worth a try

Cheers
    Marck.

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Are you interested in HD-DVD, if you are might be worth holding out awhile..

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Unidisk and the Naim DVD5 are ones that come readily to mind for me. I'm hoping that a friend goes through with the DVD5 purchase quickly, so I can check it out. I sold a Luxman DU-7 some time ago, which I used audio-only (never actually bothered connecting it up to a screen as I had a really crappy TV at that time and the all-in-one DVD box was proving to be a good match for said screen). I thought it was OK for that purpose, if not outstanding... unfortunately I've lost contact with the new owner, otherwise I'd ask him how it did with UK Region 2 discs. The DV9500 seems to be worth checking out and a cheap option... anyone have any ideas what sort of class the CD playback is in?

I'd particularly like to hear from people who have done the upgrade from a premium CD player to DVD, to see what compromises (if any) you made. Right now I have in my small living room an all-in-one Sony DVD player/receiver with it's own set of crappy 5.1 speakers, an SACD deck and a CD deck along with all the associated paraphenalia and it's somewhat unnecessary if I got my s*** together and just got one all-capable source, which hooks up to the rest of the stuff.

I'm also most likely going to be downgrading my speakers soon, but I do quite a lot of more critical listening on the headphones (primarily a Stax Omega II) which warrants a very good 2-channel source.

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Compli looks very interesting. Where did you buy yours from, marck?

10. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually own the Theta Carmen - which I can recommend very highly as a transport. I thought about upgrading to the Compli, however I dont have the funds at the moment.
    I have heard and seen the player though - and it is excellent.

The dealer that I use is Acoustic Arts in Watford - if you are close to there I can give you contact name and numbers. Just let me know.

Rgds
    Marck