Would like new headphones but just don't have a clue what to get?

mcclane22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could someone give me a little advice on getting a new pair of headphones as i'm a complete newbie to the headphone world! I've been using the headphones that came with my ipod touch and as you know are in ear ones. I would like to change and go for some over ear phones but not sure what to get.

They will be used mainly with my ipod but don't really want to spend a massive amount of money on them, somewhere around the £40-50 mark. The music I listen to is rock and a bit of metal (but mainly rock!)

I've had a search on the net and found two that might fit the bill but would prefer a little reassurance from people on here who may know a lot about headphones in general. I'm not sure if there's much difference between them but the two i've found are the AKG-K514 and the AKG K-99.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this question has been asked already!

If you can stretch your budget a little further, Give the Grado SR60i a try. It sounds great with rock/metal music. Looks might not be to everyones tastes but in the end, it's about the sound quality...

If you can stretch your budget a little further, Give the Grado SR60i a try. It sounds great with rock/metal music. Looks might not be to everyones tastes but in the end, it's about the sound quality...

The SR60's are brilliant, however for less money you could get the Alessandro MS-1 headphones, which are bascially modded Grado headphones. However they fall between the SR80 and 125 in terms of performance, but they cost less than we (in the UK) pay for the SR60's.

The Alessandro really kicks. It's worth stretching your budget for them!

The AKG K450's have come down in price a bit. they do take a bit of getting used to, but they're OK.

I'm still a big fan of my Sennheiser HD212 headphones ... the AKG K518's are good headphones, a bit bass heavy but good.

Hi

What's the cable length on the SR60i's? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also my current (now broken lol) headphones have more of a "closed cup" earphone design. Is there much sound leakage on the SR60i's and are they comfy?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi

What's the cable length on the SR60i's? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also my current (now broken lol) headphones have more of a "closed cup" earphone design. Is there much sound leakage on the SR60i's and are they comfy?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Cable on mine is 2m

Leakage is as high as you can go, they are fully open.

They are comfy but as they have foam pads that sit ON your ears, some people find that they give them sweaty ears.

If you need less leakage you need to be looking at closed back and circumaural designs....a good example being the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro

AKG K99 are semi open

AKG K514 are closed back

according to online sources

Last edited:
MS1 - great value and sound, but not a good portable phone. Transportable yes, but useless on public transport or walking around.

Cable on mine is 2m

Leakage is as high as you can go, they are fully open.

They are comfy but as they have foam pads that sit ON your ears, some people find that they give them sweaty ears.

If you need less leakage you need to be looking at closed back and circumaural designs....a good example being the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro

AKG K99 are semi open

AKG K514 are closed back

according to online sources

Thanks for the detailled reply :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom